motr

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool
Maxwell handballed the captaincy to Scott Pendlebury, partly in recognition that his career was winding down; he was past his prime, Pendlebury was at his zenith. One wondered if Maxwell would be guaranteed a game.

Yet Maxwell’s renaissance has been remarkable, and unexpected.

We marvel at Nick Riewoldt’s abilities as a 30-year old, but Riewoldt is a champion. He’s always been exceptional. It’s not that surprising that he’d maintain the rage and enthusiasm.

Maxwell’s performances, though, are genuinely startling, and a tribute to the resilience of a footballer who was overlooked in multiple drafts, widely considered a hack and yet managed to play 200 games and captain a Collingwood premiership team. The second feat has been managed by only four people since World War II.

There has been far too much focus, particularly from Maxwell’s internet detractors, on what he can’t do, compared with most captains, who typically, are elite players.

What he can do ought to be given more weighting, particularly in light of what Maxwell has produced in 2014, when his team had a decimated defence.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...all-seasons-20140422-zqxxe.html#ixzz2zdsZdPy5

Great article. As a long time Maxwell supporter I have to admit I had my doubts early 2014. One thing Jake Niall probably omitted is that this is the 1st time Maxy has had a full injury free run at a season for a while. This has a lot to do with his performance this year.

You are a beauty Maxy

Yeah i think a few of us got this one wrong. I thought he'd struggle to get a game but he has been fantastic. I'm still worried for the day the opposition forces us to change his role how we will adapt, particularly with the injuries to other backmen but full credit to him he's been huge

Who are these so called 'internet detractors'? I've never seen them before.

Jake Niall should know better than to write a puff-piece on a Collingwood player 48 hours out from such a big match. You have two days to make up for this monumental error, Jake - a piece fawning over the toughness of Jobe Watson or the gut-running of Brent Stanton will suffice.

His past fortnight has been excellent, the 2 prior he was very good for a half and also poor for a half and his 1st game when accountable was shocking.

He is in very good form currently still think he should hang them up at years end even if he has a good year. He doesn't need to play to have a role developing or coaching our HB in the art of zoning off and structuring up.

He continually gets everything out of the talents he has.
If "effort" is the new buzz word in footy, Maxy has it by the truck load

Spot on. Everyone should have admiration for someone able to do this. Maxy in particular, great captain.

Happy to admit I also thought he was in trouble this year but his form has been vintage.

It's amazing that the game has come back to Nick Maxwell I reckon.

Last season at times it was too quick for him, the counter attack style of many teams just left him and many of our tall defenders in peril too often.

But now, with the scrummage style of play, he can quite easily drop out of the back of the scrummage and play the role he loves doing, the cut off man in defense.

He's not the only Pies player to benefit from this style of play, but it sure is helping him play out what might be his final year in style.

He is having a great start to the season no doubt.

Credit to Buckley too because he is coaching beautifully.

Ultimately, no side in the AFL is willing to allow Travis Cloke 1 out so they send a spare defender to double team him. This leaves us with a spare player up our end which is typically Maxwell.

This role suits him perfectly and he is one of the best readers of the game. It is no coincidence he is always where the ball lands. He just knows where to position himself.

If clubs want to try and man up Maxwell, then that just leaves Fasolo loose. Also, Maxwell is happy to just peel off this defensive type player because he knows they are unlikely to get involved. He can also use another player to cover his man while he peels off.

If the opposition is bold enough to play 1 on 1, then Maxwell will need to cover his man, but it also means Cloke gets greater opportunity. We can also send a spare defender down back and trust Cloke to beat 2 opponents. This again means Maxwell can be orchestrated to be loose.

The other people to credit for this are Jack Frost and Lachlan Keeffe. If they were unable to step up, then Maxwell would be forced to play on an opponent. But because they are holding up, Maxy has the confidence to play on the least dangerous forward and work off them.

**Written by Matthew Scarlett, Geelong.

:)

Good on Maxy. A more selfless leader you could not find. I'm stoked for him that he has been able to contribute this year in such a great manner.

One other thing that Maxwell should get credit for is his fitness level this year.

He began his own personal pre-season six weeks early, breaking ranks with the Players Association. He also trained regularly with the club's new strength coach in that time and came back fitter than ever. On the first day back of official preseason he ran a PB in a time trial, finishing fourth overall.

For a guy turning 31 in just over a month and in his 12th season that is very impressive. Just another example of Maxy's dedication and determination. You have to respect that :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like many others, I thought Maxwell had about run his race, although I always thought he was unjustly criticized in this forum. The sight of him playing as he did in 2010 is just wonderful. The solid performances of Keeffe, who came into the seniors out of form, Frost, with almost no experience, and Langdon with none, have a lot to do with the leadership Maxwell has provided them.

Like many others, I thought Maxwell had about run his race, although I always thought he was unjustly criticized in this forum. The sight of him playing as he did in 2010 is just wonderful. The solid performances of Keeffe, who came into the seniors out of form, Frost, with almost no experience, and Langdon with none, have a lot to do with the leadership Maxwell has provided them.

Not to mention Toovey who is playing like he didnt miss a year of football. And of course Fas!!!

One other thing that Maxwell should get credit for is his fitness level this year.

He began his own personal pre-season six weeks early, breaking ranks with the Players Association. He also trained regularly with the club's new strength coach in that time and came back fitter than ever. On the first day back of official preseason he ran a PB in a time trial, finishing fourth overall.

For a guy turning 31 in just over a month and in his 12th season that is very impressive. Just another example of Maxy's dedication and determination. You have to respect that :thumbsu:

He didn't break ranks, he just made a personal commitment. Something all of us a free to do.

Would someone please bag him in this thread... It's getting a little creepy with all these feelgood comments about Maxwell. I actually put Maxwell's renaissance to the level of criticism directed at him. It has obviously motivated him. I'd like to thank all those responsible on Nick's behalf. Now I think it's time to hear a little more bagging to run us up to the Anzac day game....

Yeah i think a few of us got this one wrong. I thought he'd struggle to get a game but he has been fantastic. I'm still worried for the day the opposition forces us to change his role how we will adapt, particularly with the injuries to other backmen but full credit to him he's been huge

Maxy showed a bit as forward early on in his career. I'd love to see him push forward on the odd occasion. He reads the ball beautifully in the air and can take a strong grab. Would definitely throw a bit of a spanner in the works to the opposition.

Happy to admit so far i have been proven wrong by his efforts this year!! Really hope he keeps it up, his leadership onfield is something that cant be undersold.

He wasn't really the loose man against north, he was matched up and beat currie one out a number of times ( lost once, possibly twice?).

Maxy showed a bit as forward early on in his career. I'd love to see him push forward on the odd occasion. He reads the ball beautifully in the air and can take a strong grab. Would definitely throw a bit of a spanner in the works to the opposition.
Just don't tell Heath Shaw

One wonders how we'd be going with Heater in the side. No doubt he's a gun, and would probably be playing in place of Langdon. The way Maxy is playing though, it really has helped the likes of Frost and Keeffe succeed when thrown to the lions.

Would laugh if Maxwell and Shaw line up on each other this season. Would be even better if Maxwell took him to the cleaners. Will always love H.Shaw, unlike that scum Dale Thomas.
They could have a side wager on first goal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back