Delisted Aaron Cornelius (2008-2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

Link to article

AFL National Draft, Round 4, Pick No. 57

AARON CORNELIUS - Tall Forward
Date of birth: 29 May 1990
Height: 191.9cm
Weight: 83.7kg
Club: Tasmanian Devils / Glenorchy FC (TAS)

A tall marking forward who is strong on the lead with very clean hands which saw him ranked in the top five overall for marks in the NAB AFL U18 Championships. Was also among Tasmania's best in their final match against VIC Country kicking four goals and becoming the state's leading goal-kicker for the championships. Reads the play well and has experienced senior VFL action with the Tassie Devils. He won All-Australian U18 honours in 2007. Could become a very good centre half-forward or centre half-back. AIS/AFL Academy graduate.

Jason McCartney says:He's a very good player. All-Australian the year before last and was in our Academy as a bottom-ager – is a really good mark and played senior footy for the Devils this year and last year. In his second last championships game where the team got toweled up at Casey he was just fantastic. He was at centre half-forward on the move and he tends to take a really good contested mark where he can run and jump then float across the pack.

Tasmania U18 coach Andrew Mellor says: He's played plenty of representative footy and he's probably had to deal with the weight of expectation from Tasmania for quite some time as he's one of the most talented players to come through the ranks. He’s a very natural inside forward-50 sort of player and for straight-out talent I think he's the most talented player that I've coached.

Stats: NAB AFL U18 Championships Averages – Team: TAS
Matches: 8, Kicks: 7.5, Handballs: 3.5, Disposals: 11, Marks: 4.6, Hit-Outs: 1, Tackles: 1.1, Goals: 1.6.

In his own words
What are your biggest strengths as a player?
I think my ability to read the play and take a strong mark. I’m also pretty sneaky around the goals.
What type of player are you?
Maybe a third tall - not so much a key position - but someone who can take a mark and rove at the same time.
Which AFL player do you most resemble?
One recruiter said I reminded him of Ryan O’Keefe from the Swans so that was a compliment.

cornelius2zh5.jpg

Pick 57 in the 2008 National Draft

aaroncorneliusjf9.jpg

Twitter

Summary:

* debut: round 9 vs St Kilda (#56)
* St Kilda supporter as a kid (#70)
* 2010 review (#211)
* needs based selection (#269)
* 2011 review (#453)
* 2012 review (#774)

Contract status: ?

Merrett-Murray Medal results:

2009: =33rd (0 votes)
2010: 32nd (2 votes)
2011: =27th (3.5 votes)
2012: 4.5 votes

Coach's votes:

Tribunal record:

* round 1, 2011 (NEAFL) - striking (62.5 demerit points)
* round 9, 2012 - first offence for engaging in a melee ($1600 reduced to $1200)

July 12 2007

News: Aaron is on track aiming for the AFL
Jul 12, 2007 - 04:58 PM

Former Dominic College student Aaron Cornelius has made headlines again this week and for all the right reasons. Aaron, along with two other young Tasmanian Football players has been branded as ‘Tasmania’s next batch of future AFL stars’ (The Mercury, 12/7/07). Aaron has been named as a member of the All-Australian Under 18 team after the national championships in Melbourne.

His superb skills certainly didn’t go unnoticed with AFL National Talent Manager, Kevin Sheehan commenting that ‘he has got a pair of the best hands for his age in Australia’.

Aaron will miss out on a chance of selection in this year’s AFL draft pick due to his age, however he looks to be on the right track for next year and future AFL stardom.

corneliusga6.jpg

Link

Draft hopeful Cornelius faces Tassie farewell
By Katrina Gill
10:39 AM Tue 21 October, 2008

MOVING interstate or away from home is a very real possibility for many aspirants but, for Aaron Cornelius and the other four Tasmanian representatives who attended this year’s NAB AFL Draft Camp, it’s a given.

Each year, clubs weigh up the risks and rewards of selecting local versus interstate talent with the 'go-home' factor a concern for some, particularly non-Victorian teams.

And while the thought of relocating plays on the minds of a portion of the 2008 draft pool, Cornelius has already accepted and embraced his fate.

"As a Tassie kid, if you want to go to the next level you know you have to move, so you just deal with it," he said.

"If you want to follow your dream, you have to leave home, so it’s something I came to accept a long time ago.

"The club pretty much asks you if you’re ready to move to their state. They’ll ask, 'What do you think about Adelaide?' or 'What do you think about Port Adelaide as a club?'

"I’m prepared to move anywhere."

Cornelius represented Tasmania at under-18 level in each of the last two seasons and was named All-Australian in 2007 as a bottom-aged player.

The former Glenorchy junior has also tasted senior footy, playing for the Tassie Devils in the VFL and is an AIS-AFL Academy graduate.

He starred last season and is rated a potential first-round draft pick this year, despite not having performed to his own lofty expectations in 2008.

"My season probably wasn’t up there personally with what I thought, but I suppose it hasn’t been too bad," he said.

"I had a really good season last year and trying to back it up this year was a bit hard, but I’ve just enjoyed the challenge."

Cornelius, renowned for his clean hands and strong marking ability, was hopeful his experience at VFL level would make him a more attractive prospect for the 16 AFL clubs.

A 192cm, 84kg forward, he kicked 19 goals in 12 games with the Devils, including a bag of four against Casey on Anzac Day, which encouraged comparisons to a current-day star.

"I actually found it easier to play in the VFL than in under-18s because the players are so much better, it’s easier to read the play and the ball just moves a lot quicker," Cornelius said.

"One of the guys (recruiters) at the draft camp said I reminded him of Ryan O’Keefe from the Swans. I’m, maybe a third tall, not so much a key position, but someone who can take a mark and rove at the same time."

Cornelius, who up until two years ago also played state basketball, said he was looking forward to completing his year 12 studies and, hopefully, beginning a pre-season at the elite level.

"I just want to hear my name read out on draft day," he said.

"I don’t mind where. I'm a St Kilda supporter, so going to St Kilda would be icing on the cake, but I don’t really mind because I’ll be 100 per cent dedicated to whoever gives me a chance."

corneliuska9.jpg

Link

Plapp also quoted Aaron Cornelius as a player who had been very hyped, but had a poor year and was now only a marginal chance to be drafted tomorrow.

Link

Young star can't wait
ADAM SMITH
November 27, 2008 11:32am

BY his own admission, 2008 was not as much fun as 2007 for AFL-bound Aaron Cornelius.
The high-flying 18-year-old from Glenorchy was a stand out at last year's under-18 national carnival, earning All-Australian honours despite having another year left in the age bracket. It even prompted AFL talent and international manager Kevin Sheehan to declare he had the best pair of hands for his age in the country.
Cornelius was too young for last year's AFL draft and has spent the past 12 months honing his skills and keeping his name in front of recruiters.
The pressure of expectation has weighed heavily on the young man's shoulders.
While he spent most of the year in the Devils VFL side and captained the under-18 team, the brilliance he had shown the year before was not apparent on a regular basis.
But, as Tasmania battled on against some of the powerhouse division-one sides, Cornelius stamped himself as a class act with some wonderful performances later in the tournament.
Now on the eve of the '08 draft, the crafty forward is considered an almost certainty to get selected but the nerves will remain until he hears his name called out on Saturday.
Sheehan has placed the dual Magpies premiership star -- along with fellow Tasmanian Mitch Robinson -- in his top-30 prospects in what is being touted as one of the deepest drafts seen.
"I'm nervous and excited. It's definitely been my life so far, so hopefully it can continue," Cornelius said yesterday.
"The last 12 months have been tough, I was probably putting the pressure on myself as well.
"I suppose I had played VFL, made All-Australian and played in two Grand Finals [Tasmania's under-18 side and Glenorchy], so there was not much left to do other than play AFL [in '07].
"Not getting ahead of myself, but this year was a bit of a dull year. The reason I play football is to have fun.
"But I think I learned a lot of out it. It hasn't so much been a bad year, more so a challenging and learning experience."

aaroncornelius2ny3.jpg

BY his own admission, 2008 was not as much fun as 2007 for AFL-bound Aaron Cornelius.

Link

Caught in up-draft
BRETT STUBBS
November 26, 2008 09:10am

AFL Tasmania high-performance manager Nick Probert said Lauderdale's Mitch Robinson, 19, Glenorchy's Aaron Cornelius, 18, and 17-year-old Liam Jones, who has spent the past year at Melbourne's Scotch College, were almost certainties to be chosen. "They are three strong chances," Probert said.
"Certainly Cornelius and Jones, you would hope they would be given an opportunity between the third and fifth round, so [pick] No. 40 to No. 60.

Cornelius burst on to the scene through the under-16s and the AIS-AFL Academy as a tall marking forward, but appeared to only tread water this year for the Devils and Mariners.
But Probert said Cornelius' talent still shone through.
"When you play well at an early age as Aaron did, you have got so much to put up with that other players don't have to deal with," he said.
"He's had to put up with being double-teamed this year. He was given a lot of opportunities at VFL level, but they were against players like [Collingwood's Simon] Prestigiacomo with quite high expectations that wouldn't normally be put on a boy his age.
"Then you have got all the other mental expectations when you've played well in your first year.
"I think he's done a terrific job considering when you look at all the pressure he's had on him."

corneliusin6.jpg

Pre-draft profile

Aaron Cornelius – 192cm, 84kg – Glenorchy/Tasmania
The go to man in the Tassie forward line. Played a mixture of CHF and FF and was Tasmania’s best forward. Is not overly quick but is a good contested mark and works to the right areas on the ground. He is a pretty long right foot kick and his kicking skills are pretty good. His set shots from a distance where a bit patchy at times during the champs. Does a lot of things right. The only real concern I have is at his pace if he is not taking marks and dominating in the air he could turn into an also ran at AFL level.
Another who could sneak up into the first round but will surely be picked up somewhere in the second round or third round.

Draft Profile

Aaron Cornelius Key Forward 191cm
Tasmania 29/05/1990 81kg

Cornelius has proven in his junior career to date to be one of the best marks for his age. Since taking nine contested marks for Tasmania in the opening game of the 2006 NAB AFL Under 16 Championships, Cornelius has continued that form to average more than three per game in 14 games of under-age football for his state in the past two years. At age 17 he made his debut for Tasmania in the VFL late last season and took the equal most marks of anyone in the 2007 NAB AFL Under 18 Championships.

Draft Profile

No. 57 AARON CORNELIUS (Tasmanian Devils) 18, 192cm (6'3"), 84kg (185): Tall forward who is strong overhead, can kick a bag of goals, and is very good on the lead (running toward midfield to receive the ball). Has played senior football with Tasmania the past two seasons and represented Tassie at the U-18 tournament. Was a key player in their Division Two title win. A graduate of the AIS-AFL Academy and attended this year's draft camp. Was named All-Australian after the tournament.

Link

Cornelius has proven in his junior career to date to be one of the best marks for his age. Since taking nine contested marks for Tasmania in the opening game of the 2006 NAB AFL Under 16 Championships, Cornelius has continued that form to average more than three per game in 14 games of under-age football for his state in the past two years. At age 17 he made his debut for Tasmania in the VFL late last season and took the equal most marks of anyone in the 2007 NAB AFL Under 18 Championships. Is now a regular in the Devils line up.

He played a BOG for AIS/AFL U17 Australian side against combined Perth side at Subiaco before they went to South Africa, played on and beat Michael Johnson from Fremantle. Unlucky to get injured against Stingrays but took 9 marks last week, 8 contested. Freak athlete for 196cm, inspector gadget arms

A real dark horse, not many people know of him. From Tasmania, basketball background, in 2007 AIS Squad. Great presenter at CHF, unreal hands.

Easily the best Div 2 prospect and is a definite top 10 pick I think. He played CHF for Tas and is a top shelf forward prospect. He is a little on the short side for a KP (about 191) but he is a fantastic mark. Quite simply his hands are superb and combining that with excellent judgement of the ball in flight and pretty good pace makes him a very difficult match up. He is a reasonable shot for goal without being elite. The other thing which I think teams will like is the work he does in support of his team. He works hard on the 1%ers, chases hard and works well within the team concept.

The only player I saw out of the two games on Saturday that really jumped out at me was Cornelius. He's got real presence out there, and he knows how to get himself into the action. His 1%ers resulted in at least 4 of Tasmania’s goals by my count.

By the end, NT had absolutely no idea what to do about him. Tassie ended up moving him up the ground to help out when the rest of his teammates dropped off.

Link

Aaron Cornelius
DOB: 29/5/90
State league: TAS
Club: Tassie Mariners

McCartney says: "Aaron was in the Academy two years ago and it was an interesting situation with Aaron this year. He's a very good player, All-Australian the year before last and was in our Academy as a bottom-ager, is a really good mark and played senior footy for the Devils this year and last year. I saw this year as not super by Aaron's standards, but I saw it as a tough year because he would have got picked up last year, so it's been a bit of a holding year.

"One of his games in the Division Two qualifiers was really good, but being the main target for Tassie, he tended to get double-teamed a lot. He probably found the going pretty tough in Division One, but what was pleasing was that he came to Melbourne and his second-last game, where the team got toweled up at Casey, was just fantastic.

"He was at centre half-forward, on the move – that's his go – and he tends to take a really good contested mark where he can run and jump and float across the pack. So after what was probably a disappointing first three games he finished off really well. There will be a lot of interest around him no doubt."

cornelius2qn1.jpg

Draft Countdown

Draft countdown: Aaron Cornelius
By Chelsea Roffey
12:07 AM Sun 02 November, 2008

Aaron Cornelius
DOB: 29/5/90
Height: 192cm
Weight: 84kg
Club: Tassie Mariners, TAS

A tall marking forward who is strong on the lead and has very clean hands. Cornelius reads the play well and has experienced senior VFL action with the Tassie Devils. He won All-Australian under-18 honours in 2007. An AIS/AFL Academy graduate. From Glenorchy FC.

I think my ability to read the play and take a strong mark. I’m also pretty sneaky around the goals.

What are your weaknesses?
My deficiencies are probably the defensive side of my game and my endurance, so I need to work on that. The defensive side is so big in the AFL now – you can kick goals from those kind of efforts as well as from taking marks.

Maybe a third tall, not so much a key position, but someone who can take a mark and rove at the same time.

Which AFL club do you support?
I go for St Kilda. I actually trained with St Kilda through the AIS-AFL program during the pre-season. You see guys like Robert Harvey on the telly and the next thing you’re meeting them. You receive the ball off Harvs and then you’re kicking it to Fraser Gehrig, so it was a bit of a dream come true.

One of the recruiters said I reminded him of Ryan O’Keefe from the Swans, so that was a compliment.

corneliusbx0.jpg

Link

Aaron Cornelius (Tasmania) - Draft Profile
Height: 191.9cm
Weight: 83.7kg
Role: Inside marking KPP/3rd tall forward
Preferred Foot: Right
Potential: 6-8/10

Strengths

> Excellent pair of hands overhead and reads the flight very well– one of the best marks in this draft
> Surprisngly decent vertical leap
> Clever, subtle bodywork
> Long RF kick – capable of kicking 50m+
> Has VFL experience under his belt from 2008
> Good spoiler when playing in defence (unlikely to play defence at AFL because of lack of strength, bodysize and athleticism)

Weaknesses

> Hit and miss set shot radar
> Lacks intensity, strength and natural power about his game – doesn’t look to dominate games
> Lacks mobility and versatility
> Not routinely clean with his handballing and ball handling below the knees
> Lacks all forms of athleticism (apart from vertical leap) – poor pace, agility and engine

Other

> Outstanding U16s form and 2007 U18 form (won an AA jumper) – however struggled somewhat with the attention at the 2008 U18 championships

Overall

More was expected of Cornelius in 2008 after impressing a great deal in 2006 U16s and 2007 U18s, however he didn’t take his game to the next level and stamp his name down as a certain first rounder like most expected. He should still get drafted, but unlikely as high as was expected in the pre-season. At best I see him becoming a Bradshaw like very handy 2nd/3rd tall forward that performs well with lesser attention, at worst a fringe player that is NQR for AFL long term due to lack athleticism, intensity, mobility and versatility.

Link

AARON CORNELIUS - TASSIE MARINERS/ GLENORCHY FC
29/5/90
191.9cm
83.7kgs

Aaron is a tall marking key forward who is strong on the lead. He has cleans hands and reads the play exceptionally well.

Making his senior VFL debut in 2007, he played a further 12 games this season booting 19 goals for the Tasmanian Devils. His best performance came in round five with a bag of four goals against the Casey Scorpions at Bellerive.

After an outstanding 2007 national Championships that earned him All-Australian honours, he backed up and was the Tassie Mariners focal point at the under-18 Championships. He booted seven goals in the division two carnival, helping Tasmania to the title, before kicking another six goals in the division one competition.

Aaron was among Tasmania’s best players in their final match against Vic Country at Telstra Dome booting four goals and was the state’s leading goal kicker for the Championships. He was ranked in the top five overall for marks and score assists at the division one Championships.

cornelius246x316aif5.jpg

Link

Selection 57: Aaron Cornelius
10:57 AM Sat 29 November, 2008

Date of birth: 29/5/90
Height: 192cm
Weight: 84kg
Club: Tassie Mariners

Bio: A tall marking forward who is strong on the lead and has very clean hands. Cornelius reads the play well and has experienced senior VFL action with the Tassie Devils. He won All-Australian under-18 honours in 2007. An AIS/AFL Academy graduate. From Glenorchy FC.

Jason McCartney says: He's a very good player. All-Australian the year before last and was in our Academy as a bottom-ager, is a really good mark and played senior footy for the Devils this year and last year. His second last [championships] game, where the team got towelled up at Casey, was just fantastic. He was at centre half-forward, on the move and he tends to take a really good contested mark where he can run and jump and float across the pack.

Tasmania U18 coach Andrew Mellor says: He's played plenty of representative footy and he's probably had to deal with the weight of expectation from Tasmania for quite some time as he's one of the most talented players to come through the ranks. He is a very natural, inside forward-50 sort of player and for straight-out talent I think he's the most talented player that I've coached. Unfortunately there is that mental side of the game that he needs to come to grips with, but he is extremely talented. Once Aaron gets a bit more consistency into his game and more of the defensive aspects he could potentially be the best of the lot.

Stats: NAB AFL Under 18 Championships Team Mt K HB D M HO T G Tas 8 7.5 3.5 11.0 4.6 1.0 1.1 1.6
In his own words

What are your weaknesses?
My deficiencies are probably the defensive side of my game and my endurance, so I need to work on that. The defensive side is so big in the AFL now – you can kick goals from those kinds of efforts as well as from taking marks.

Maybe a third tall, not so much a key position, but someone who can take a mark and rove at the same time.

Which AFL club do you support?
I go for St Kilda. I actually trained with St Kilda through the AIS-AFL program during the pre-season. You see guys like Robert Harvey on the telly and the next thing you’re meeting them. You receive the ball off Harvs and then you’re kicking it to Fraser Gehrig, so it was a bit of a dream come true.

One of the recruiters said I reminded him of Ryan O’Keefe from the Swans, so that was a compliment.

corneliussr4.jpg

Burgo's Phantom Draft

39 – GEELONG – AARON CORNELIUS
Tassie Mariners, TAS, Tall forward, May 29, 1990, 191.9cm, 83.7kg
(Draft range: 22-49)

Cornelius is regarded very highly by some recruiters, although he has drifted a little in the pecking order. It would not surprise if he was taken early in the second round or the back end of the third. Port Adelaide, Essendon, Sydney Swans, Western Bulldogs and Geelong have been the most common links. The Cats may also consider Luke Rounds and Ben Bucovaz at this pick.

Emma Quayle

Aaron Cornelius should fit in somewhere too, perhaps in the second round.

cornelius2ts7.jpg

Graeme Allan says: "Aaron was touted as a top ten pick at this time last year and we were really pleased that he was still available at our fourth round selection. He has a very strong pair of hands and has the potential to be a very good centre half-forward or centre half-back."

Phantom Drafts:

Official

# 46 Collingwood - Aaron Cornelius (192cm/ 84kg / Tas)

This is not a knock on my fellow posters but I couldnt believe he was still here. I started watching for him from #30 and thought he was zero chance to make it so again I fear I have missed something everybody has figured out.

Another player I have seen a lot of over the last few years and he is a favourite. I had no intention of taking a player like this, rather was more focussed on getting DeBoer / Shannon / Hall / Klemke or a tall back like Stopp / Geartner but just couldnt pass him up as he was the best player left at that time. From a needs point of view he does allow us to send back Reid or Anthony so in practical terms it serves a similar purpose to getting a tall back.

Been a terrific player at all levels for the last few years. His carnival last yr was particularly good as a 16yo and has the capacity to really change a game of footy. Terrific 1:1 player and just seems to read the ball in flight better than his opponents. Good on the lead but when in contested situations his body work is good and his hands are strong. Finishes his work very well and is someone that will bring other players into the game as he will usually take more than one defender. He has been conditioned against men for the last 2 yrs when he has played at VFL level. He could certainly be someone who is trialled down back as well as he is very agile, good in the air and tends to play the loose ball pretty well to. However I think he should be given every chance as a fwd as he just has that x factor that you want in your fwds.

Quigley

12. Sydney

Coming into the Champs I thought he was easily the best Div 2 prospect out there and a definite top 10 pick. When he got to Div 1 company though his stocks took a major hit somewhat unfairly I think. The Div 1 teams loaded up against him knowing that the other Tasmanian players were not going to hurt them. In the AFL even the best forwards struggle when double and triple teamed and that is what Cornelius faced in the Champs. Notwithstanding that I thought he went okay although I think he was frustrated a bit and dropped his head a bit and did not work as hard has he should have from time to time. Despite all of that I think he is an excellent full forward prospect who will probably be taken a little lower than his worth and he will make the team who takes him very glad that they did. Okay firstly the good – he quite simply has the best hands of anyone available this year and he will mark anything that comes near him. When you combine his fantastic hands with excellent judgement of the ball in flight and timing of his jumps and movement you have a very difficult match up for a backman. In tight he has very quick hands and feeds the ball out very well. In the Div 2 games his 1%ers and his work for his teammates were a highlight but in the Div 1 games I thought he let this drop away when he got frustrated. When he is in the AFL it will be emphasised that he must keep the effort up and it is certain that he can do it very well. There has been criticism of his pace and he is certainly not the quickest but is comparable with other prospects like Hurley. He creates separation well and by way of a guide to his pace I noted in one contest at the Champs he outpaced Sidebottom (not exactly a burner I realise but still) over about 20 metres reasonably comfortably. Kicking wise he is reasonable without being elite and will kick goals out to the 50. At the moment he splits time between FF and CHF and seems to have a reasonable tank covering a fair bit of ground. That being said though I expect him to be a FF once he develops and the player I could compare him to most would be Daniel Bradshaw. Body wise he needs to develop a fair bit more and is still very much a teenaged boy in physique. He is a player I like and one I expect to succeed at AFL level. Its interesting that in an article on the AFL site he says that he sees himself as a third tall playing perhaps an O’Keefe type role. If he is going to do that he needs to improve his endurance a lot and I just don’t see it myself.

Norman Ross

8 – Richmond – Aaron CorneliusRicho’s replacement Cornelius IMO is the smartest forward in the air, he reads the play well, uses his body when he has to but often finds front position without contact. Has strong hands on the lead and finishes well. Some may think Cornelius is too high. I see a genuine KPF of the future, his positioning prior to a marking contest is second to none. Richmond’s back half seems secure, now need to focus on the forward structure.

Rizzo

25. BRISBANE LIONS
Aaron Cornelius
I could imagine that BRISBANE will go with the best available at this pick. Cornelius is to good to pass up. Maybe they will mould him into a Key Defender, if not they have a classy tall.

TOA

33. Cats: Aaron CORNELIUS (29-5-90) 192/84 Glenorchy
I think Cornelius will slide further than people think and may not even go this early. One could argue he hasn’t really progressed since his u16s days. He goes missing for long periods and needs to work on marking up the ground. He seems to be a good fit for the Doggies and/Cats who have said publicly they are going to go after talls with picks 31/32. Both clubs will need to institute some changes into his game for him to make it. But he’s not alone there.

Snoop

# 15 Geelong – Aaron Cornelius (TAS / 192cm / 83kgs)

Cats have everything so go with best available. Been watching this kid for three years and has built an impressive CV for the recruiters. Elite fwd who has the ability to really turn it on. Very agile and gets to the footy really well. Also loves the contested mark and very happy to hit the packs. At 192cm you would like him a little taller and hence he may develop into a 3rd tall more than a FF or CHF. Finishes his work off pretty well. Has played a lot of VFL footy so will be ready to go sooner than later. Another club who could be tempted by Lisle as CHF prospects are thin for them with young Nathan flying the coup.

Tommyneu

[FONT=&quot]Pick 21: Fremantle: Aaron Cornelius |

Another of the quality KPP to be selected inside the Top 25, Cornelius at 21 could be seen as a slider. Fremantle really do need another tall option up forward to help Pavlich. Tarrant is more a roaming half forward flanker so they need someone who can take a pack mark closer to home. Has played in the VFL for Tassie and has held his own against much bigger men. Will take some development yet but really does reek of goal kicking CHF. Sticky hands and a solid set shot for goal. Good selection for the Dockers.[/FONT]

foj1

Pick 24 Fremantle- Aaron Cornelius
The Dockers will booster their talls so that their midfield have more than Pav and Taz to kick to. Cornelius has been playing against men for the past couple of seasons and he is a very strong mark. He will need to continue to work on his body strength as well as his athleticism but I think Freo is a good destination for the Taswegian.

ant555

32) Western Bulldogs – Aaron Cornelius
With Aaron being available here the Dogs will be happy to garb another key forward prospect.

Tarquin

Pick 23 Essendon- Aaron Cornelius
Seeing as the Bombers picked a midfielder with their first selection it was important to take a key position player. Cornelius is a very strong mark and just needs to work a little harder on his athleticism. He will be able to slot into the vacancies left when Lucas and Lloyd retire.

Didaka

#23 – Essendon – Aaron Cornelius – 192cm, 84kg, 29-May-90, Tassie Devils

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnipyxU54sY

His rating has dropped a little, but I still believe he is a good prospect as he possesses really good hands and can find the goals.
I think Essendon feel they are set for key defenders with Ryder, Daniher, Hooker and Pears, so that moves Jordan Lisle a little bit out of the mix although he can play forward, but Cornelius is a natural forward and although some see him falling down the order, I don’t.
They have Gumbleton and Neagle, but I think they will be keen to add another tall forward.
They are starting to build a reasonably rounded side and if they take a player like Cornelius they add more depth to an area that will need to be developed with Lucas and Lloyd nearing the end of their respective careers.

Draft Prediction: 2nd round selection

(Log in to remove this ad.)

[YOUTUBE]HnipyxU54sY[/YOUTUBE]

Reminds me a bit of Daniel Bradshaw:
- picked in the 50s
- not overly tall
- stays close to goal
- a natural forward, reads the flight really well, strong hands

Consolidated Draft Profile

Aaron Cornelius - (KPD) 29 May 1990, 192cm 84kg. Tasmania/Glenorchy

"Quigley: Is bottom aged and not eligible for selection this year. Notwithstanding this he was probably the best KPF that I saw in Div 2. He looked a threat every time he got near the ball. He is extremely good overhead and took a lot of contested marks. He can kick it from the 50 and kick it straight. He moves nicely and has separation speed. He also creates for others and Bowden was the beneficiary from the work of Cornelius and the attention he demanded of the Qlders. I was surprised that he was only credited with 5 goals as I thought he had a couple more than that. For me he would have to be considered a top 5 certainty for next year at the moment."

"Recruiter 1: Aaron Cornelius kicked five goals for Tasmania, but he isn't eligible for this year's draft. There are good wraps on him moving forward."

"Recruiter 2: Cornelius has got a bit of excitement about him. He plays from behind a bit too much and plays with some arrogance, but he's got natural talent."

"AFL.com: Too young to be drafted this year, but certainly one to watch out for in 2008, Cornelius starred against Queensland with five goals and showed plenty of spark in his game. He also grabbed seven marks – including a sensational pack mark in front of goal."

"Kevin Sheehan: Strong marking tall forward who took 18 marks in the championships – averaging six per match. His seven goals included five against Queensland during Tasmania's first match at the SCG. He has a spectacular leap and a vice-like grip, whether on the lead or in a contested marking situation. Not eligible for the 2007 NAB AFL Draft."

"The Prototype: Here's a name to look out for in the next couple of years, at 17 years old he has represented Australia in South Africa. Plays for Glenorchy in the AFL Southern Tasmania Premier League, booted 7 goals on début, and has had a decent season. Had a quite début for the Tasmania Devils, though to his defence there's not a lot going right for the Devils.
I am not sure about his eligibility for this season, but he'd certainly be worth a look next season. There are some other good young players to look at as well here in Tassie."

"Nicko4: Cornelius has proven in his junior career to date to be one of the best marks for his age. Since taking nine contested marks for Tasmania in the opening game of the 2006 NAB AFL Under 16 Championships, Cornelius has continued that form to average more than three per game in 14 games of under-age football for his state in the past two years. At age 17 he made his debut for Tasmania in the VFL late last season and took the equal most marks of anyone in the 2007 NAB AFL Under 18 Championships."

"Jason McCartney: Aaron Cornelius – By his own admission he had a shocker last round and this week he started down back. His work-rate and body language were much better. He worked his way into the game and then returned to his more familiar surroundings up forward.
He grabbed the ball quite cleanly towards the end of the game and he ended up with six marks. It wasn't a super game, but he was starting to look dangerous. I really think he is now set for a big game against NSW/ACT on Saturday, after some positive signs in this match."

"Jason McCartney: Aaron Cornelius – I thought this was Aaron's best game in four or five games. He had 14 disposals, seven marks – three were contested – and this was a fine effort, considering the ball only went inside 50 for Tasmania 20 times. His second quarter was outstanding. He had six marks in that period. It was a really solid performance. He played on instinct, he played in front and his work-rate was high."

"Jason McCartney: Aaron Cornelius – I want to give a big wrap to Aaron. Once again, the ball didn't get down into Tassie's forward 50 a lot of times, but Aaron kicked four goals. He's got great hands, takes a really good mark and reads the ball well, but I was really impressed with ability to work into the front position. When a side kicks six goals and your key forward kicks four, you've done your job."

"HFF 07: AARON CORNELIUS 192cm 84kg FF/FP/CHF Glenorchy/Tasmania (VFL)
Like Robinson, has played some VFL for Tasmania, is not as quick as others, but leads to the right spots, and is smart where he gets his shots from, has string hands, which is a feature of his game,
PROS: - Marking, Footy smarts,
CONS: - Pace, set shot kicking,
PREDICTION: 10 - 30"

"foj1:: 14. Aaron Cornelius 192cm 84kg TAS
Very clever forward who is agile and has a good set of hands. Cornelius is very good on the lead and can also fly for the big pack mark. Cornelius has had the advantage of playing senior footy for over a year now which has toughened him up and helped him on the defensive side of his game. A very exciting prospect."

"ant555: Aaron Cornelius – 192cm, 84kg – Glenorchy/Tasmania
The go to man in the Tassie forward line. Played a mixture of CHF and FF and was Tasmania’s best forward. Is not overly quick but is a good contested mark and works to the right areas on the ground. He is a pretty long right foot kick and his kicking skills are pretty good. His set shots from a distance where a bit patchy at times during the champs. Does a lot of things right. The only real concern I have is at his pace if he is not taking marks and dominating in the air he could turn into an also ran at AFL level.
Another who could sneak up into the first round but will surely be picked up somewhere in the second round or third round."

"Jason McCartney: Aaron Cornelius - A lot is expected from Aaron, but I thought he was okay. Every time he went to the contest, he had three guys around him - he's going to get that a lot because he is a super overhead mark - but he still managed to take some good contested marks. I thought he worked really well and as a key forward, it can become frustrating playing against three players. He took six marks, three contested and finished with three goals."

"rizzo: Aaron Cornelius - 84kg - 192cm - 29.05.1990
Tassy had a one man forward line and it was him. Tallish, without being really tall. He has good speed off the lead and a nice strong mark. I wouldn’t say contested marking is a strength, but you will rarely see him drop one at full belt. He leads to the right places as well, which is vital.
Skills - Speed, Determination, Kicking at goal"

"Quigley: Cornelius – easily the best Div 2 prospect and is a definite top 10 pick I think. He played CHF for Tas and is a top shelf forward prospect. He is a little on the short side for a KP (about 191) but he is a fantastic mark. Quite simply his hands are superb and combining that with excellent judgement of the ball in flight and pretty good pace makes him a very difficult match up. He is a reasonable shot for goal without being elite. The other thing which I think teams will like is the work he does in support of his team. He works hard on the 1%ers, chases hard and works well within the team concept."

"1Mitch1: Aaron Corneilus- Tasmanian top aged player. All Australian in 2007 and 2008 and an AIS graduate. Has been touted the best forward in this years draft. Has got qualities others don't have as a forward and has the best mark in the draft. 192 cm and 84 kg. Reads the play well and has a good set shot on goal. mid to late 2nd round"

For me Aaron was our best value pick of the draft (even better than Rich).

It will be fun watching Aaron and Hendo develop together, this will probably cement Mitch Clark being moved to CHB this year (IMO)

Link

Cornelius' nerves not draft related
By Simon White
1:00 PM Sun 30 November, 2008

ODDLY enough for Brisbane Lions draftee Aaron Cornelius, football wasn’t the main cause of nervousness on the biggest day of his career to date.In what may rank as one of the more unusual draft day happenings, Cornelius helped mark his selection as the No.57 pick of the draft by attending a dance performance featuring his younger sister.
“My sister is into the performing arts and by 1.30pm or so I was watching her at a dancing contest,” Cornelius laughed.
“It’s kind of funny. My sister had to perform a solo and I got really nervous for her.
“I reckon I was probably more nervous about her dancing than I was about whether I would get drafted or not.
“My mum got to the performance before I did and she had been telling people I’d been drafted. One lady got me to pose for a photo with her son, which was new for me.”
Not that the likeable lad from Hobart didn’t have a couple of nervous moments of his own on Saturday.
One came when he received a phone call from a footballing hero, keen to congratulate him on becoming a Lion.
“If anyone ever asked me who my mentor was, the footballer I like to watch and learn from, then I always say Jonathan Brown,” Cornelius said.
“He actually called me after I got drafted. I answered the phone and when he said who it was, I sort of had to clear my head and work out what was going on.
“He gave me his congratulations on getting drafted and I can’t wait to get to Brisbane and start learning from him.”
A 192cm forward with strong marking skills, Cornelius intends to bulk up from his current 84kg weight in his first year at the Gabba.
Although he comes from a close family in a state that is a long way from the hustle and bustle of south east Queensland, he expects to settle in well to life in Brisbane.
“One of the things with being from Tassie is that you know you are going to have to move away if you want to play AFL football,” he said.
“So once it looked like I might get drafted, I probably started preparing myself for that. I’ve always liked visiting places like Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane with state teams.
“One of the things I’ve noticed from playing in the VFL (for Tasmania) is how much of a step up it was from junior footy. I know AFL is going to be another thing again and if I could crack it just to play one game in my first year I’d be really happy.”

Predraft I rated Cornelius a late first round-early second round prospect and for you guys to get him so late is an absolute steal in itself. It's a big call from my part, but I think this kid at the present time has the best pair of hands out of the draft just completed yesterday. One touch marker, but the club would have to address Aaron on his attitude at times. He gets frustrated quite easily when three opponents hang off him and he'll most likely give up on 2nd efforts after his opportunity of getting the ball failed. Other than that aspect of his game, you guys have landed another ripper. :thumbsu:

“If anyone ever asked me who my mentor was, the footballer I like to watch and learn from, then I always say Jonathan Brown,” Cornelius said.
“He actually called me after I got drafted. I answered the phone and when he said who it was, I sort of had to clear my head and work out what was going on.
“He gave me his congratulations on getting drafted and I can’t wait to get to Brisbane and start learning from him.”

:thumbsu:

Link

Tasmanian teenager Cornelius had an outstanding 2007 national championships that culminated in All-Australian selection. He returned this year to be Tasmania's leading goalkicker and ranked in the top-five overall for marks and score assists.
Nevertheless, he didn't find an AFL home until the Brisbane Lions plucked him midway through round four.
"One thing that changed with us was when Aaron Cornelius was there later than we thought he would be," new coach Michael Voss said. "To to be able to get him was very pleasing. Sometimes opportunities like that just come up, and you have to take them."

“One of the things I’ve noticed from playing in the VFL (for Tasmania) is how much of a step up it was from junior footy. I know AFL is going to be another thing again and if I could crack it just to play one game in my first year I’d be really happy.”
i like the sound of that, sounds like a good positive attitude

Remove this Banner Ad

Back