Retired Aaron Davey

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Aaron Davey

If all else fails he'll always be in our best 6 forwards.

I agree.

Davey, Green, Sylvia are all match winners for us, but none have really torn it up yet this season. I think they have all been consistent, but not up to the high standards we as supporters set.

Davey finds it hard to shake a tag, partly due to the lack of support from his team mates, and partly due to him not working hard enough. I wonder if our coaching department actually helps our players in this aspect?

I think Davey's lost a yard of pace which has hurt him a touch. But I feel he is still dangerous around the F50. He's a smart player around the goals and this is where I believe we should be playing him now. With Blease, Scully, Trengove, Gysberts, Moloney, Sylvia, Jones, Tapscott, Morton, Strauss, Benell etc, we have enough run and carry through the middle.

I loved seeing Wona, Jurrah and Davey in the F50 and believe these 3 could become an extremely dangerous combination in years to come. Once Blease, Morton, Benell and Strauss come through, I don't think we will need Davey running through the middle. Leave him in the F50 and watch him tear it up...

Aaron davey needs to have a bigger impact overall and in more games to be considered a good player... just goes missing far too often for a 26-27 yr old ... he gets so much attention for 'how good he is' but how many brownlow votes has he got in his career.. he drifts out of games to often, he cant break a tag, and only ever plays one or two good matches in a row ..were crying out for A graders , flash and sylvia can both be that yet they dont impact enough games regularly... for mine (this is my opinion guys) aaron davey and colin sylvia need to be better for longer cuz they are both currently overrated ( but sylvia could win a brownlow )

I still prefer Davey at half back. I reckon is exploits as a small forward are overrated.

The problems with sticking him in the midfield are:

1) Often he gets tagged by a midfielder so you aren't exactly bringing his opponent into a foreign environment.
2) He isn't very good at clearances. You would much rather have Moloney, Sylvia, Gysberts, Trengove and Scully (when fit) in there.

I still prefer Davey at half back. I reckon is exploits as a small forward are overrated.

1) Often he gets tagged by a midfielder so you aren't exactly bringing his opponent into a foreign environment.
2) He isn't very good at clearances. You would much rather have Moloney, Sylvia, Gysberts, Trengove and Scully (when fit) in there.

Davey cannot handle a tag [End of story].
He doesn't seem to like any body contact at all and should be played as a HFF and thats all.
The problem is he has a fantastic kick but he isn't a midfielder, he is a forward and should be played accordingly.

I think he's done. He would be a good player in a strong team where he could be a link-up player and use his beautiful kicking skills to effect. In a struggling team where he has to win his own ball he is no good. We should put him in the draft and hope that a team in the premiership window decides that he is what they need, but I don't think we'd get anything for him.

I think he's done. He would be a good player in a strong team where he could be a link-up player and use his beautiful kicking skills to effect. In a struggling team where he has to win his own ball he is no good. We should put him in the draft and hope that a team in the premiership window decides that he is what they need, but I don't think we'd get anything for him.

You are deluded.

Nice troll.

One would wonder if another coach, sitting up in the box would be able to move him around and use him more effectively... on one hand he cant handle a tag, but on the other hand he is absolutely damaging at his best. Mmmmmm...

Your a twit.

Adam Selwood has been in very good tagging form, beat Rioli against Hawthorn and did well against Davey tonight.

Davey still managed 17 possesions and kicked a goal, considering all the passengers you had tonight he was better than alot of your other players.

Your really underselling west coast pressure and Adam Selwoods form.

Davey always takes a tag freeing up a Trengove type.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been worried about Flash the last year or two. Really should be working harder for the contested ball, or making a nuisnnace of himself up forward. This HBF type of role just isn't maximising him

One would wonder if another coach, sitting up in the box would be able to move him around and use him more effectively... on one hand he cant handle a tag, but on the other hand he is absolutely damaging at his best. Mmmmmm...

Our first problem, the coach can't see the team and its spread can he. Though I guess Norm Smith did alright from the boundary...

outrageous to suggest davey is/will be under pressure. both wona and bennell would be dropped over him.

jones has been OK recently. needs to play well against a higher quality midfield tho

How are you feeling about Davey now BS? Are you going to keep giving him leave passes regardless of what sort of performances he dishes up? He is in the gun this week, make no mistake.

How are you feeling about Davey now BS? Are you going to keep giving him leave passes regardless of what sort of performances he dishes up? He is in the gun this week, make no mistake.

outrageous for jones and davey to be compared, if jones should be dropped then davey should be out playin in the bush somewere

jones is one of only a few blokes who can hold his head high after last week

He should be a back pocket. He played his best football in the backline and won a B&F doing it. He should be doing Bartram's role and Bartram should go back to tagging midfielders. At the very least we will have 1 more good kick in the back half.

People forget that he was moved away from the forward line because he wasn't getting a kick. He has lost a bit of pace which means he has lost his strength when he burst onto the scene which was running down players, now that he hasn't really got that weapon he is usually a poor tackler as I have said plenty of times he likes to play bruise free football.

The only good positional game changing move Bailey has ever made was moving Davey to the backline now for some reason he wants Davey more forward of the ball, it hasn't worked and I think he should make Davey go back to the position that made him a B&F winner. Giving Davey more accountability wouldn't go astray either.

I would love to see Bailey throw the team around a bit more when the team is under the pump. Wonaeamirri to the midfield was worth a shot but he done it when the game was over. Jurrah in the midfield for a 5 minute burst should also be given a go cos he has what most of our midfielders don't have and that is skill, can't remember the last time he has made a game changing positional move since he moved Davey to the back half in '09.

rekon will see him forward a lot more this week just looking at who we dropped... think Aussie will be removed from the extended bench which will see us with aaron and maric as our small forwards... needs to desperately lift his workrate and show some leadership... we are good when hes good and thats a fair reason why we look terrible at the moment, our best ball user cant get near it...

I agree with you on this one, he is much better half back where he can use his kicking skills and make the play. I would look at swapping Tappy and Davey in terms of positions.

He's almost our best player so forget about dropping him.

Start him through the middle or across half back, and if he's struggling with a tag, put him in our forward line for his excellent defensive pressure. He will probably kick a goal as well.

Simple.

I'd like to see him put at half back. Back pocket even. It will be good for his confidence so to speak. Need his presence there anyway as he sets up the next two plays

He should be a back pocket. He played his best football in the backline and won a B&F doing it. He should be doing Bartram's role and Bartram should go back to tagging midfielders. At the very least we will have 1 more good kick in the back half.

People forget that he was moved away from the forward line because he wasn't getting a kick. He has lost a bit of pace which means he has lost his strength when he burst onto the scene which was running down players, now that he hasn't really got that weapon he is usually a poor tackler as I have said plenty of times he likes to play bruise free football.

The only good positional game changing move Bailey has ever made was moving Davey to the backline now for some reason he wants Davey more forward of the ball, it hasn't worked and I think he should make Davey go back to the position that made him a B&F winner. Giving Davey more accountability wouldn't go astray either.

I would love to see Bailey throw the team around a bit more when the team is under the pump. Wonaeamirri to the midfield was worth a shot but he done it when the game was over. Jurrah in the midfield for a 5 minute burst should also be given a go cos he has what most of our midfielders don't have and that is skill, can't remember the last time he has made a game changing positional move since he moved Davey to the back half in '09.

Bartram would provide bugger-all at the clearances though.

Warren Tredrea said some very interesting comments on the radio, that went along the lines of:

"Back in our premiership days players did their part and if we got enough victories around the ground then we'd win the match. Kane Cornes was a tagger so he was just required to nullify the best opposition midfielder. These days, that's not enough. He was never good at the clearances and now he finds himself dropped."

Bartram would fill into a similar catagory, albeit nowhere near as good a tagger as Cornes. You only get three midfielders at the centre bounces. Can't waste a spot on someone who isn't a good clearance player.

I'd like to see him put at half back. Back pocket even. It will be good for his confidence so to speak. Need his presence there anyway as he sets up the next two plays

He seems to get a hard tag at half back as well though MB. He's so effective wherever he plays - if he could deal with a tag he would be Judd!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back