Aaron Sandilands' legacy

Remove this Banner Ad

Aaron Sandilands has just recorded 69 hitouts in tonight's game against Adelaide, which appears to be the AFL/VFL record. According to this article posted last year, the record at that time stood at 63 from North Melbourne's Gary Dempsey in 1982. I'm fairly sure that hasn't been broken since the article was posted, but either way it's a phenomenal effort that emphasises what Sandi can do at his absolute best.

It got me thinking about the legacy Sandi will leave behind him when he wraps it up. Obviously a physical freak from a sheer size point of view, I've never felt he reached the heights he could have. Don't get me wrong, he's has some excellent periods of play and a fair few accolades (4 time All Australian, Fremantle's B+F in 2009, Grand Finalist) and injuries have held him back no doubt, which was perhaps to be expected of someone his size. Sandi is also a matchup nightmare when resting forward, making him even more damaging than some of the less agile ruckmen in the league. Maybe it's the blue and gold tinted glasses, but there never seemed a point where he was far and away better than Dean Cox or other challengers for best ruck in the league (although he was always in the conversation). Sandi's career for mine was at its peak for 3-4 years but he's struggled, mainly due to injury, to recapture that peak.

When Sandilands retires and you're describing his career to someone who didn't see it, what will you say? Was he an undisputed top tier ruckman for long enough to be considered one of the greats, or did you expect more consistently from someone of his size?

His best was better than Cox's best.

He was averaging about 17 possies a game as a 7 foot ruckman at his peak, the majority contested. That is absolutely ridiculous.
Crazy good- I've probably underated his career.

Silly comparing him to Cox really, quite different players. In games like tonight, Sandi didn't dominate with his possessions, but he continually spoon fed Fye, Mundy and co, that kind of dominance will be hard to replicate. Cox on the other hand was amazing because of his run and how he basically played as another midfielder - Cox basically invented a "new" style of ruckman (or at least built on the Stephan Michael prototype).

for a bloke of his size, and his coordination, he's done remarkably well. Lets remember he's not even a natural footballer and was taken on as purely a project because he was so tall. The fact he became so good was a crazy bonus really

His best was better than Cox's best.

He was averaging about 17 possies a game as a 7 foot ruckman at his peak, the majority contested. That is absolutely ridiculous.
**** no

His best was never as good as Cox at his best. Cox hurt you around the ground, he could run and become a great link up player.

Sandialnds really should kick more goals than he does, for someone his size he should be taking more marks in damaging positions. There is no doubt he is a talented tap ruck, but fort his size i wouldn't expect anything else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Arguably never had the midfielders around him to be as truly damaging as he was always capable of being. More often than not, his ball was sharked by opposition. In recent years though, he's had the personnel around him to communicate and establish good position. Always been a dominant ruckman though, can't even remember a time where he lost a match-up.

As for Cox, you can certainly argue that he's the more complete player of the two, and had rare touch for a man his size, but when it came to the mano e mano, I can't recall too many occasions when Sandilands was beaten.

Aaron Sandilands has just recorded 69 hitouts in tonight's game against Adelaide, which appears to be the AFL/VFL record. According to this article posted last year, the record at that time stood at 63 from North Melbourne's Gary Dempsey in 1982. I'm fairly sure that hasn't been broken since the article was posted, but either way it's a phenomenal effort that emphasises what Sandi can do at his absolute best.

It got me thinking about the legacy Sandi will leave behind him when he wraps it up. Obviously a physical freak from a sheer size point of view, I've never felt he reached the heights he could have. Don't get me wrong, he's has some excellent periods of play and a fair few accolades (4 time All Australian, Fremantle's B+F in 2009, Grand Finalist) and injuries have held him back no doubt, which was perhaps to be expected of someone his size. Sandi is also a matchup nightmare when resting forward, making him even more damaging than some of the less agile ruckmen in the league. Maybe it's the blue and gold tinted glasses, but there never seemed a point where he was far and away better than Dean Cox or other challengers for best ruck in the league (although he was always in the conversation). Sandi's career for mine was at its peak for 3-4 years but he's struggled, mainly due to injury, to recapture that peak.

When Sandilands retires and you're describing his career to someone who didn't see it, what will you say? Was he an undisputed top tier ruckman for long enough to be considered one of the greats, or did you expect more consistently from someone of his size?
It's a new record. Before tonight, Mike Pyke had the most this season (59): http://afltables.com/afl/stats/teams/allteams/playershi.html#G06

Freo also broke the team hitout record with 86: http://afltables.com/afl/stats/teamshi.html#h6

Just for the record I'm not making a Cox vs Sandilands point with this, I just threw Cox's name in as he was at his peak around Sandi's peak, and those two were the big names for 'best ruck in the comp' honours. This post is more on the back of Sandilands absolutely shattering a 33 year old record rather than to do with any Eagles vs Freo pettiness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back