ABC Radio not that great when you look at the figures and who they are up against

Remove this Banner Ad

Baby Blue

Club Legend
Feb 19, 2004
Lygon Street
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Was speaking to someone at AW today and they say that one of the reasons why ABC is doing so well in the ratings is that they are only competing against SEN as they have the B package.

The only time all 4 stations compete against each other is friday night and triple m wins there. The other times Triple M and AW compete against each other as well as FTA television on a lot of occassions. ABC meanwhile normally cover foxtel games and they only compete against SEN which has poor coverage and always rates low.

Whats really worrying AW and should worry the AFL is that there has been a huge drop off in people listening to the footy on radio. This article from the Age is pretty good - why are people not listening to the radio anymore.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/radio-out-paytv-in/2007/06/22/1182019372335.html
AFL ratings are down significantly across radio, not just at 3AW, leading to speculation that the new broadcast rights agreement has changed the habits of fans, with more people tuning out and reaching for the remote instead.

But a closer analysis of the figures reveals that although ABC and Triple M performed well in the past survey, the lost 3AW audience — believed to be about 100,000 — has not moved to other stations. Instead, it appears to have simply disappeared altogether

The ABC is doing well? Jeez, their coverage is terrible.

How anyone could willingly suffer someone like that Gerard Whately for long periods is beyond me.

I cant believe people dont listen to SEN purely just for the footy news. Whether you like or dislike personalities you get almost wall to wall footy.

The game callers are as good as anyone and before and after the game is pretty good.

My car radio is stuck on 1116.

I must say some of the stuff of have heard from Rex and his team this year has been absolute dribble. I think people are sick of grown men making absolute gooses of themselves. Hutchinson is useless and and the Walls recording is getting pretty scratchy. Tony Leonard is only marginally better calling a game than he is with his appalling breakfast show style. Hack of the first order.

IMO, SEN is the only one worth listening to for actual footy coverage, as opposed to the footy related general entertainment on MMM.

AW... no appeal. ABC... next to no appeal.

Was speaking to someone at AW today and they say that one of the reasons why ABC is doing so well in the ratings is that they are only competing against SEN as they have the B package.

The only time all 4 stations compete against each other is friday night and triple m wins there. The other times Triple M and AW compete against each other as well as FTA television on a lot of occassions. ABC meanwhile normally cover foxtel games and they only compete against SEN which has poor coverage and always rates low.

Whats really worrying AW and should worry the AFL is that there has been a huge drop off in people listening to the footy on radio. This article from the Age is pretty good - why are people not listening to the radio anymore.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/new...019372335.html
AFL ratings are down significantly across radio, not just at 3AW, leading to speculation that the new broadcast rights agreement has changed the habits of fans, with more people tuning out and reaching for the remote instead.

But a closer analysis of the figures reveals that although ABC and Triple M performed well in the past survey, the lost 3AW audience — believed to be about 100,000 — has not moved to other stations. Instead, it appears to have simply disappeared altogether

That's very surprising. With the shocking AFL TV rights deal with only four games on FTA, I have been listening to the radio more than ever for footy this year.

I cant believe people dont listen to SEN purely just for the footy news. Whether you like or dislike personalities you get almost wall to wall footy.

The game callers are as good as anyone and before and after the game is pretty good.

Agree 100%.

3AW got the kick up the arse they needed! "Listen to the fans" and all the other rubbish was wearing very thin very quickly!
I follow the football quite closely but still have no idea on some of the players Rex Hunt is talking about with his stupid nick-names! Just call the football without the circus act!

I must say some of the stuff of have heard from Rex and his team this year has been absolute dribble. I think people are sick of grown men making absolute gooses of themselves. Hutchinson is useless and and the Walls recording is getting pretty scratchy. Tony Leonard is only marginally better calling a game than he is with his appalling breakfast show style. Hack of the first order.

I agree on everything you've said there, SEN is fantastic to listen to just for it's news, and I hate Rex Hunt so much, his half hour is the biggest waste of time there is.

The ABC is doing well? Jeez, their coverage is terrible.

How anyone could willingly suffer someone like that Gerard Whately for long periods is beyond me.
Never a truer word spoken!
Absolutely abysmal to listen too.
I usually listen to ABC Radio because I don't get Austar here, and there are only 3 games on FTA in Hobart each weekend.

ABC is heaps better than any of the ad stations, and what I've heard of SEN hasn't impressed me.

Mind you, I despise product ads during my radio telecast. So I might be slightly biased.

But the ABC appears to have a definitely higher general footy knowledge base and, as such, a higher interest level. I thought they'd be hurt by the loss of the big games (dirty money-hungry scumbags at the AFL), but they've remained strong throughout and have got figures to match the quality of their broadcast.

ABC is heaps better than any of the ad stations, and what I've heard of SEN hasn't impressed me.

Mind you, I despise product ads during my radio telecast. So I might be slightly biased.

But the ABC appears to have a definitely higher general footy knowledge base and, as such, a higher interest level. I thought they'd be hurt by the loss of the big games (dirty money-hungry scumbags at the AFL), but they've remained strong throughout and have got figures to match the quality of their broadcast.
Unfortunately the govt doesn't pay to run every station so if that's what does it for you enjoy the ABC. I just find them a bit dreary.

give me aunty over all the others.

commentators who actually commentate on the game. special comments men who actually comment on the play, what's happening and why.

3aw's pre-match is generally fairly good, their game coverage awful, triple m is dire, and i haven't listened to sen. but abc radio is the best actual game coverage by far.

Unfortunately the govt doesn't pay to run every station so if that's what does it for you enjoy the ABC. I just find them a bit dreary.

What does it for me is actual decent footy commentary and analysis, not joking around, product placement after each goal and ad breaks during the quarter breaks.

Can't get any of that from stations other than the ABC. Government should've paid for the prime radio rights for ABC Radio.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strongly disagree. Whately, Maclure - both gooses but the ultimate proof of how bad they are is summed up in two words.

DREW MORPHETT.

BTW did anyone catch any of that garbage they spoke about today - the phantom draft thing. My God have these people nothing better to talk about? In fairness i lasted about 20 minutes before i turned it off.

Strongly disagree. Whately, Maclure - both gooses but the ultimate proof of how bad they are is summed up in two words.

DREW MORPHETT.

BTW did anyone catch any of that garbage they spoke about today - the phantom draft thing. My God have these people nothing better to talk about? In fairness i lasted about 20 minutes before i turned it off.

What else do you expect on this screwed up round? ABC Radio had covered the country football for 5 hours the previous day, so that was out. Sure, they could've covered a VFL game, but which one? ABC TV generally do the VFL in any case.

But, let me guess, you would've thought the Coodabeens show on Saturday, broadcasting from Cora Lynn and interviewing the local footy and netball players from both Cora Lynn and Buln Buln, was pointless too, eh?

I thought it was great, a light-hearted way to spend a couple of meaningless hours. A break from the normal full on coverage. It sounded like they had a huge amount of fun doing it, so why criticize it?

Look, you can listen to your Triple M's and 3AW's and whatever, with jokers as commentators and "special comments" people who know what colour a footy is and little else...I'll stick with the people who actually know something about the game and aren't afraid to say their piece. Strong commentators.

What else do you expect on this screwed up round? ABC Radio had covered the country football for 5 hours the previous day, so that was out. Sure, they could've covered a VFL game, but which one? ABC TV generally do the VFL in any case.

But, let me guess, you would've thought the Coodabeens show on Saturday, broadcasting from Cora Lynn and interviewing the local footy and netball players from both Cora Lynn and Buln Buln, was pointless too, eh?

I thought it was great, a light-hearted way to spend a couple of meaningless hours. A break from the normal full on coverage. It sounded like they had a huge amount of fun doing it, so why criticize it?

Look, you can listen to your Triple M's and 3AW's and whatever, with jokers as commentators and "special comments" people who know what colour a footy is and little else...I'll stick with the people who actually know something about the game and aren't afraid to say their piece. Strong commentators.

The bulk of my previous point was that Drew Morphett is a tool.

Surely you can't argue with that.

give me aunty over all the others.

commentators who actually commentate on the game. special comments men who actually comment on the play, what's happening and why.

3aw's pre-match is generally fairly good, their game coverage awful, triple m is dire, and i haven't listened to sen. but abc radio is the best actual game coverage by far.

Yet you're adamant that the ABC coverage is best?

IMHO... SEN > MMM > ABC > 3AW

Why would the AFL be worried about the drop off in radio listeners as long as it has resulted in more Pay-tv subscriptions and higher tv ratings for the FTA networks..

How much money do the AFL get from the radio networks? Couldn't be close to the figure even Foxtel alone had to pay?

Friday Night
Saturday Arvo
Saturday Night
Sunday Arvo

You forgot the Saturday Afternoon game mate :)

Yeah you're right actually Maj, now you mention it I remember seeing one on a Sat arvo when I was up in Devonport a month or so back.
They don't seem to be on every week though from what I've noticed, or what that be just because of the draw and how it's panned out?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back