ABEFC hypocrisy once again rears its ugly head...

Remove this Banner Ad

Reality Check!

Team Captain
Apr 22, 2014
Bendigo
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Collingwood, Port Adelaide
Today on the front page of The Courier Mail, we have photographic evidence of star Gold Coast Suns player Harley Bennell cutting up what appears to be cocaine. I went on bigfooty today naturally expecting outrage from such a strong community oriented group of posters. Instead to my disgust, not only is this news not on the front page of the main forum, I have come to find posts like these (please pardon the embellishment, as Caroline Wilson would say never let a false attribution get in the way of a good article).

wannabee wiseacre said:
The demands on the modern footballer are too damn high! It's no wonder that these good kids are getting hooked on something to give them a release. Let's hope Gold Coast rally together and come out firing against North!

Reality Check: This is not a stressful job, rather the opposite. We have comprehensive scientific evidence to support the fact that exercise and physical contests are the best way to relieve stress. In addition players are given unlimited support. Each club has ample therapists and they have more talent than any quack the average Joe goes to see.

21yo serial bong abuser said:
damn...dude must be in a pretty bad space not sure putting the spotlight on him is the best way to go about it. Ive taken alot of hard drugs before (cause depression work issues etc) and I kno just how hard the habit is to kick. Best of luck mate.

Reality Check: While Bennell may have underestimated the addictive power of the drug he was taking, he definitely knew he should not in any form be involved with illicit drugs. The fact that he has chosen to ignore this shows he is arrogant and does not care about his job at all. His earnings come from a group of people who have invested a lot of money into the AFL's new club and wanting to see it grow and become successful. If he had mental issues he could have fronted up to the club about it clandestinely. Instead he's chosen to piss all that up against the wall to follow the white rabbit.

manchild69 said:
Wait, let me get this straight. The guy was snorting lines of coke before games and then going out to dominate the s**t out of the opposition? What a ******* legend!!!!11!! xD

Reality Check: This is probably the worst thing about it. Days after you've taken this drug, your senses continue to be elevated and you can engage in physical contests with more fervor than when the drug is completely flushed out of your system. Admittedly in the long term cocaine use is not an effective performance enhancing drug regardless of whether you get caught or not, but that doesn't change the fact that he had an unfair advantage over his opposition for some of the games he played.

Now let's compare this to Jobe Watson's admission of being administered drug AOD-9604 back in 2013.

- It was not prohibited at the time it was administered.
- Even though its status as a banned substance was contentious, he did not lie about taking it.
- He never made the conscious choice to go out and find the drug, it was administered by the club and he took it in good faith.
- It is not a drug he took for recreational faces so he could slap the greater football community in the face and say "I don't care what you think I'm going on a bender". He took this as part of his job.

And the reaction on bigfooty?

Intensified abuse of the EFC.

The Jobe Watson reaction on bigfooty was OTT, but the difference is that the whole of the Essendon Football Club were under investigation for a supplements program, where as Harley Bennell is one boy taking recreational drugs who got a photo of him plastered all over the news.
Harley Bennell =/= Jobe Watson

Who gives a * really. Drugs are everywhere in elite sports. No one is getting a game day advantage from illicits like speed or coke. That s**t causes mad amounts of inflammation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Today on the front page of The Courier Mail, we have photographic evidence of star Gold Coast Suns player Harley Bennell cutting up what appears to be cocaine. I went on bigfooty today naturally expecting outrage from such a strong community oriented group of posters. Instead to my disgust, not only is this news not on the front page of the main forum, I have come to find posts like these (please pardon the embellishment, as Caroline Wilson would say never let a false attribution get in the way of a good article).

Reality Check: This is not a stressful job, rather the opposite. We have comprehensive scientific evidence to support the fact that exercise and physical contests are the best way to relieve stress. In addition players are given unlimited support. Each club has ample therapists and they have more talent than any quack the average Joe goes to see.

Reality Check: While Bennell may have underestimated the addictive power of the drug he was taking, he definitely knew he should not in any form be involved with illicit drugs. The fact that he has chosen to ignore this shows he is arrogant and does not care about his job at all. His earnings come from a group of people who have invested a lot of money into the AFL's new club and wanting to see it grow and become successful. If he had mental issues he could have fronted up to the club about it clandestinely. Instead he's chosen to piss all that up against the wall to follow the white rabbit.

Reality Check: This is probably the worst thing about it. Days after you've taken this drug, your senses continue to be elevated and you can engage in physical contests with more fervor than when the drug is completely flushed out of your system. Admittedly in the long term cocaine use is not an effective performance enhancing drug regardless of whether you get caught or not, but that doesn't change the fact that he had an unfair advantage over his opposition for some of the games he played.

Now let's compare this to Jobe Watson's admission of being administered drug AOD-9604 back in 2013.

- Even though its status as a banned substance was contentious, he did not lie about taking it.
- He never made the conscious choice to go out and find the drug, it was administered by the club and he took it in good faith.
- It is not a drug he took for recreational faces so he could slap the greater football community in the face and say "I don't care what you think I'm going on a bender". He took this as part of his job.

Dry your eyes with these

onions.jpg

In the top mainpage threads we have one that starts ABEFC and one EMERAGEHDD

This is what a forum would have looked like if they had the internet in soviet russia
I tried to think of a BigFooty related Russian reversal but I drew a blank.

Enjoy your ban…

Welcome to the Main Board
The objective of the AFL board is to have a board where posters can discuss football in a sensible manner. If you are not interested in posting in a sensible manner, don’t post here. You might be carded, and/or have your access removed. The Main Board Guidelines are also to be interpreted in conjunction with the sitewide rules, found here: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/help/terms.
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/faq.php
There are specific guidelines that all posters ought to be familiar with.
Drugs in Sport/ASADA Investigation
Please note we presently require all threads and discussion on this matter to be conducted on the Hot Topic Board set aside for this purpose.
Penalties
  • We are all armed. And there may be penalties resulting from actions. You'll find the general Big Footy guidelines here, along with a overview of the card system.
  • Board Bans. Posters may be banned from the main board if they frequently stink the joint up. They will be informed. There is no time limit on a board ban, it is up to the discretion of the mod team.
  • Thread bans. Yep, this is a new one. we now have the power to limit a poster's access to a specific thread. The general length of that ban is a week. This will happen if a poster regularly stinks a thread up.

Enjoy your ban…

This isn't a post about the nature of drugs in sport, it's a general comment about the hypocrisy of the board in general. People are prepared to criticise an established club while completely ignoring the sins of a new franchise. Yes some of the quotations might not seem very sensible, but.... jeez mate get a sense of humour instead of gleefully pointing out rule violations to censor someone who has an opinion you don't like.

I opened this thread in to find out what ABEFC stood for.

And I find this drivel.

If you can't see the difference between ad-hoc frowned-upon recreational drug usage and an organisation-wide regime of cheating with performance enhancing substances, then I've got nothing to say to you but TGJURDTHVB*

*May not stand for anything.

The Jobe Watson reaction on bigfooty was OTT, but the difference is that the whole of the Essendon Football Club were under investigation for a supplements program, where as Harley Bennell is one boy taking recreational drugs who got a photo of him plastered all over the news.
Harley Bennell =/= Jobe Watson
The only reasonable post I have seen ITT, but it misses the point. Bennell knew he was betraying a lot of people when he went down that road, Jobe was just following club protocol. Also this GC scandal has been going just as long as EFC's at the time of the Jobe interview.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back