Abolish the umpire bouncing the ball

Remove this Banner Ad

Bounce once at the start of each quarter, with no recalls. Call it a nod to the past or keeping some tradition in the game.

Then, simply have the umpire who is the best bouncer of those on the day be in the centre for the beginning of each quarter.

This way, the traditionalists are happy it isn't 'lost' to the game, whilst the ability to bounce the ball rightfully plummets down the criteria list when determining good umpires.

What I found funny is afl umps only have to master one physical skill with the ball ...the bounce

Everything else they do is based on mental and physical running levels

That said it's difficult skill to master ...head down to your local park and try it.

We get all Silly when an ump makes a skill error yet we say zilch most times if a player makes a skill error

Players make far more mistakes than umps do yet we somehow think it's God given right to bash the hell out of them (figuratively speaking)

Like I said though the one down side to removing the bounce would be blokes who can leap high will win all the taps .....as the ball will be in predictable spot

Isn't part of our game the unpredictability Of it and what that creates. That said ....

What if we left it to umpires to decided and just let players know which one they will choose

We don't have to have everything prefer to have a great game ......it's not a computer game

I very much enjoy the spectacle and tradition of the bounce - especially the first bounce of the game. It's so satisfying to barrack for your team, the umpire holds the ball in the air, siren blows, barrack louder, umpire slams it into the turf, the game is underway and you watch the ball soar high up into the air as the ruckmen run inwards. I couldn't stand to lose that and have a pissy little throw-up to start a game of the sport I love.

However, that is the only reason I like the bounce. Bouncing around the ground was overdue to be abolished, and others have already explained the several good reasons for replacing the bounce with the throw-up. I believe every field umpire squad should include a designated bouncer, and bounces should only occur at the start of each quarter. Everybody wins - in the unlikely event the bounce is no good, just recall it, throw it up and bounce-lovers like me just have to put up with it for two seconds.

I would have been all for keeping the bounce but after talking to an umpire who told me that serious shoulder injuries are commonplace, its probably time to ditch it on health & safety grounds

I would have been all for keeping the bounce but after talking to an umpire who told me that serious shoulder injuries are commonplace, its probably time to ditch it on health & safety grounds
I can't recall any AFL match where this has happened. Has it actually happened at the highest level?

If it were the NFL admin, they'd have a guy whos only job was to bounce the ball.

AFL has two guys who do nothing but mind an esky with balls in it so why not?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

EXCLUSIVE

AFL umpires up the pressure to get rid of centre bounce

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...get-rid-of-centre-bounce-20170221-guhnzw.html

AFL umpires are ramping up pressure on the AFL Commission to dispense with the traditional centre bounce.

The AFL Umpires' Association has canvassed the abolition of the bounce in its current negotiations with the league for a new collective bargaining agreement.​

I reckon I should've been appointed to the rules committee given the changes that have taken place regarding players bringing high contact on themselves and the removal of the bounce from around the ground.

I love watching the bounce it's a great start to the game I can't explain why but it makes the start so much more epic seeing the ump slam it down

It's a great little unique thing that makes footy great
Especially in grand final. The 1st bounce for RD1, Finals & GF. No better feeling

Why should there be any requirement for the umpire to effect a "good" bounce ? The oval ball bounces unpredictably all over the ground multiple times during the game. All the umpire is required to do is put the ball in motion to start or restart the game from a stoppage.

The unpredictabilty of the bounce means the umpire has absolutely no controlling influence on which way the ball will go. Players used to have to spread to anticipate the bounce ,now we see set plays that simply add to congestion. Let the ball bounce....if you want predictability and make it less challenging for the players get a round ball.

Great news:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...y/news-story/2f2bd3080fa747e274b84fc65b107c0e

Centre bounce removed from TAC Cup competition, putting its future in the AFL in jeopardy
MARK ROBINSON, Herald Sun
an hour ago
Subscriber only

THE end is nigh for the centre bounce.

TAC Cup umpires were told on Wednesday the centre bounce would be removed this season.

An email to umpires, seen by the Herald Sun, said the umpires would be told the reasons at training on Thursday night.

We learn today that the umpires didn't even bounce the ball for the Geelong/WBD game or STK/Sydney.

I didn't see any complaints about the ball not being bounced.

What a ridiculous thing it is!

The AFL really are stuck in the slow lane

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...d/news-story/f47999ba2b731146c1d1478ca8f4242a

John Worsfold and Adam Simpson don’t believe traditional centre bounce would be missed
JON RALPH and CHRIS CAVANAGH, Herald Sun
May 21, 2017 5:24pm

JOHN Worsfold says he would be happy to scrap the centre bounce after a historic and contentious day at Etihad Stadium.

Former AFL boss Wayne Campbell believes decision accuracy would lift 10 per cent if the bounce ended given the wider pool of available umpires.

TAC Cup umpires were told in March that there would be no bouncing in the underage talent competition this year but the bounce is still alive at VFL level

And Worsfold is happy to see it go at AFL level, believing it adds little as a spectacle.

“I don’t come to games enjoying the centre bounce. If we throw it up or bounce it, it doesn’t really faze me.

“Throwing it up means the game gets up and going quickly so I am comfortable with throwing it up.

“When we get a good bounce, do people sit there and say that’s a good bounce? I don’t think they do.

“When it’s a bad bounce people get frustrated. There is not a lot of upside.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back