Academy Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Fry was the Lions MVP from that u16 team last year. He is committed to Sherwood for 2024, good on him for being loyal to Mayne, but hed have played every week for us in the QAFL if he came this year.

Fazldeen has been hitting the scoreboard alot for Grange in the QAFL, he is a v good player.

Gilder has been a revelation this year. I've always rated him, but he has played every week in the QAFL Seniors, was best on ground in our win over Morningside a few weeks back, then the following week he was moved onto Lachie Henderson (who was giving us a bath) and he nullified him completely. First 3 or 4 games we played him on a wing, but the training wheels came off quickly and he is dominating down back. As the pic shows, he has also put on some good size!

Gillett has played the last 2 weeks, much harder for a teenage ruckman, but on the weekend he was very good, took about 7 contested marks and had 15 touches and we got dusted by 15 goals, so it was a good effort from a 17 year old ruckman in the circumstances.

Will Munro has also now been added to this side.
Does Gillett look like he could play forward or back at all? I had it in my head he was the young guy who could play anywhere, although it appears that was Gilder?

It's just lazy.

You look at this years team.

South Coast - 9 players (Winners)
Sunshine Coast - 7 players (R/up) (Coach of the team also coaches this region :rolleyes: )
Met East - 6 players (3rd)
Met North - 2 players (4th)

Like they have just decided to use a formula to pick the side based on how teams finished. You win, you get the most, and then so on.

Met West were 5th, won 3 games by 100+ points and have nobody in there! Teams are seeded based on how their region perofrmed the year before, so you're behind the 8-ball before you arrive unless you're from one of the above 4 regions.

Can't tell me nobody from anywhere in North Queensland, Darling Downs or the entire Western Suburbs of Brisbane isn't good enough. They should speak to the regional coaches before the carnival even starts and create a watch list, maybe even speak to the academy about who they rate. By all means make your own decisions, but at least make them educated decisions.

Not going to name names, as its not fair on the kids - but there are 3 kids in there from Met East and at least 2 each from the two coastal teams who aren't even close to some of the lads who missed out. The Darling Downs team had a bunch of 12 year olds in it, and apparently had 26 at their selection trial, their best kid is miles better than half the selected side - but what chance does he have to show his talents?

time to move on mate, nothing to do with the academy anyway and its not a huge deal. My own kid missed out, and I've explained those circumstances, so lets all just get on with it!

Fry was the Lions MVP from that u16 team last year. He is committed to Sherwood for 2024, good on him for being loyal to Mayne, but hed have played every week for us in the QAFL if he came this year.

Fazldeen has been hitting the scoreboard alot for Grange in the QAFL, he is a v good player.

Gilder has been a revelation this year. I've always rated him, but he has played every week in the QAFL Seniors, was best on ground in our win over Morningside a few weeks back, then the following week he was moved onto Lachie Henderson (who was giving us a bath) and he nullified him completely. First 3 or 4 games we played him on a wing, but the training wheels came off quickly and he is dominating down back. As the pic shows, he has also put on some good size!

Gillett has played the last 2 weeks, much harder for a teenage ruckman, but on the weekend he was very good, took about 7 contested marks and had 15 touches and we got dusted by 15 goals, so it was a good effort from a 17 year old ruckman in the circumstances.

Will Munro has also now been added to this side.
Thanks Thommo. Where do you see Gilder projecting as a potential AFL player position wise? 3rd tall defender? Or a taller flanker type? Also draft wise next year do you see him as someone likely to make it onto an AFL list?

Also how do you rate his pace, agility and vertical leap? I’ve read previously he is an absolute freak athletically and probably the most athletic player from a Lions perspective since a young Jared Brennan. Would you agree with that?

Does Gillett look like he could play forward or back at all? I had it in my head he was the young guy who could play anywhere, although it appears that was Gilder.

Gillett is about 202cm, 12 months ago he was on track to just be a key forward, but now he's a genuine ruck/forward and when he goes forward, its not just to rest as a ruckman, he's genuinely good down there.

Had a really good game on weekend.

Couple of Gillett clips

Couple of Gilder Clips

Gilder is the one that can really play anywhere, but is probably a defender.

Thanks Thommo. Where do you see Gilder projecting as a potential AFL player position wise? 3rd tall defender? Or a taller flanker type? Also draft wise next year do you see him as someone likely to make it onto an AFL list?

Also how do you rate his pace, agility and vertical leap? I’ve read previously he is an absolute freak athletically and probably the most athletic player from a Lions perspective since a young Jared Brennan. Would you agree with that?

I am a bit bias, but I think Gilder will get drafted, but probably 3rd round type. He was ill during the L3 games this year, otherwise I felt he might be an Allies chance as a bottom ager. I'd say his future is as a 3rd tall defender, but you are right in that he has extreme physical gifts in terms of pace, agility and vertical. He did a good job on Walter in a practice game earlier in the year before he was crook, so thats a good sign!

His progression this year alone has been massive and I already had a high opinion of him before.

Put it this way, we usually get an inkling if someone is on the radar if we get player managers seeking permission to call certain kids. Had more calls on Gilder than anyone we've had in the last decade. Though I'm sure would have had more about Jaspa, but he committed to an agent pretty early on and obviously has an old man that knows the game.

Not sure if you guys are following closely but Cooper Hodge has been named in the bests for all three of Queensland's games at the U15 national championships over the last week. Only he and Jackson Jarvis (Suns academy) have done that for Queensland. They will compete in a 3rd place playoff against Tasmania tomorrow and surely another strong performance from Hodge (and Jarvis I hope) will put him (them) in line to be named in the U15 AA team this year. Pretty remarkable achievement from the young lad with a famous footballing name!

Not sure if you guys are following closely but Cooper Hodge has been named in the bests for all three of Queensland's games at the U15 national championships over the last week. Only he and Jackson Jarvis (Suns academy) have done that for Queensland. They will compete in a 3rd place playoff against Tasmania tomorrow and surely another strong performance from Hodge (and Jarvis I hope) will put him (them) in line to be named in the U15 AA team this year. Pretty remarkable achievement from the young lad with a famous footballing name!
Honestly don't really rate beating ACT. WA and Vic Metro went through undefeated. Not sure how QLD are playing off for third against TAS, when both SA and Vic Country had better records.

Just had a quick look at the Girls U15's. Both QLD and NSW went 3-0 in the preliminary rounds. QLD had a narrow victory over Vic Metro, comfortably beat WA and TAS. NSW beat ACT, SA, then beat Vic Country 75-0.

Honestly don't really rate beating ACT. WA and Vic Metro went through undefeated. Not sure how QLD are playing off for third against TAS, when both SA and Vic Country had better records.

Just had a quick look at the Girls U15's. Both QLD and NSW went 3-0 in the preliminary rounds. QLD had a narrow victory over Vic Metro, comfortably beat WA and TAS. NSW beat ACT, SA, then beat Vic Country 75-0.
My mistake. I guess it's more of a 5th place playoff since there are two pools. We'll never know how QLD would have faired against the 3rd/4th placed South Australian team that narrowly defeated Tasmania. However, if QLD smash Tasmania tomorrow then you can probably draw your own conclusions.

Good to see the QLD girls continuing on their winning ways. A win against South Australia tomorrow would secure back-to-back U15 national championships for QLD. Surprised to see NSW are also undefeated.

Games today aren't play offs.

QLD will play whoever finished 4th in Pool A for the chance to play off for 5th spot on Saturday.

In the girls, QLD will play whoever finished 2nd in the other pool for chance to progress to final on Saturday.

Hodgey going well for sure, though I think anyone making the AA side from Q will be a stretch given how far off pace they are from the better teams

Games today aren't play offs.

QLD will play whoever finished 4th in Pool A for the chance to play off for 5th spot on Saturday.

In the girls, QLD will play whoever finished 2nd in the other pool for chance to progress to final on Saturday.

Hodgey going well for sure, though I think anyone making the AA side from Q will be a stretch given how far off pace they are from the better teams
Are you sure? I can't seem to find the upcoming fixture between QLD and NSW as both were winner in their respective matches today.

I've heard Jackson Jarvis has been outstanding for QLD. Any chance he makes the AA team?

he'd have to be a chance, and he is a very good talent. Also stands out not just in talent, but he is a like a 6'4 jesus!
No way! Is he playing forward/ruck? It doesn't look like he's kicked many goals throughout the championships so I'm wondering where he's playing...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

just returning to this topic. Gilder has been named to play in the middle tomorrow vs Broadbeach in the QAFL.

He has progressed from Wing, to half back, to full-back and now showing his full versatility to be named in the centre.

Levi, Marshall, Gilder, Gillett. If the last 3 keep lifting their level, I have a bad feeling about AFL stepping in prior to 2024 draft.

There is enough noise already about the 3 suns first round picks this year.

Levi, Marshall, Gilder, Gillett. If the last 3 keep lifting their level, I have a bad feeling about AFL stepping in prior to 2024 draft.

There is enough noise already about the 3 suns first round picks this year.
There are already limitations in place on matching academy kids.

Finish bottom 10, no limit on how many academy kids a team can match in the top 20.

Finish top 8 (8th to 5th), an academy team can only match two kids in the top 20.

Finish top 4, an academy team can only match one kid in the top 20.

Most academy watchers who have put together a 2024 top 30 don’t even have Marshall in their top 30 rankings, let alone have Gillet or Gilder on their radar.

There are already limitations in place on matching academy kids.

Finish bottom 10, no limit on how many academy kids a team can match in the top 20.

Finish top 8 (8th to 5th), an academy team can only match two kids in the top 20.

Finish top 4, an academy team can only match one kid in the top 20.

Most academy watchers who have put together a 2024 top 30 don’t even have Marshall in their top 30 rankings, let alone have Gillet or Gilder on their radar.

One year out still.

Gilder gives me the Lachie Jones type feel, could race up the draft boards next year due to the ready to go build.

I was in Melbourne, so didn't see the game. I belive he was a solid contributor, tough for a 15 year old in a team well beaten.

From all reports Gilder was outstanding in the middle and Gillett was next best for Magpies.

In other news, young Hodgey picked in u15 AA side this arvo. Jai Murrays younger brother also picked as a bottom ager.

Is Hodge in the Brisbane Academy? Would we have access to him?
I believe he is and Cooper's a big Lions fan apparently. He'll be excited fo come to us and we'll happy to have him but VFL will make big noise if it happens.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back