Academy Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Jake Fazldeen putting together a handy back half to his year. 19 goals in his last 8 games in the QAFL, including 5 in Grange's semifinal win over Broadbeach on the weekend. Draft eligible next year.

The boy who won the B&F for the under 15 Division 1 club competition this season is not even in the academy, plays for Yeronga, I have seen him play as he played in the same side as my grandson for a couple of seasons(definitely more talented than some of the boys I have seen who are in the academy), he has been attempted to be poached by the bigger more fashionable clubs in the past but he likes it at Yeronga as he plays with his mates.

The consensus in club land is if he was at one of those "bigger" clubs he would be in the academy, a lesser talented boy went from Yeronga to a bigger club this season and is now in the Lions academy.

Not good.

Ben Morrison?

He is a classic strong player in a very weak team. There are 50 kids better than him in the competition and additionally another 20 playing u17s who are the same age as him, don't think academy is missing out much not having him.

Strong player though, but just a brute with no noticeable attributes. Good on him for staying loyal to the Devils, good for his footy too as he is a standout player in a weak side, if he changed to nearby clubs he'd likely be a bit part player in a stronger side.

There are stacks of kids from smaller clubs than the devils, who don't even play Division 1 who are part of the academy.

Edit: Here is a game he features in. There is only one academy kid on the field in this game (Max Boothey #12 for Magpies, who is 2 years younger than Morrison who is #15 with Green headgear for the Devils)

Hardly an exhibition of elite footy here!

Last edited:
Why on earth are you watching u15 club footy? what is your connection? this is ridiculous commentary on a young kid.

How about 'well done on winning the Division 1 league medal, the academy should give you a shot" ?
Yep well said, I have commented on this boy before, I am probably not much of a spotter of junior talent(I enjoy watching the grandson play), watching Ben play to me he looks like he has high potential/up side, however what is pretty obvious is that he is nowhere near as fit as he needs to be if he wants to go to a higher level ie. he is a burst player.

Maybe given a go in the academy he could take hold of the chance and work on his weaknesses.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would think hey are no chance to be honest. Not much in the cupboard in terms of top age draft prospects in the Lions Academy in 2023.

2024-2026 looks solid though.

Is Billy Richardson or Patrick Snell a chance to be drafted this year or a long way off?

Snell has been invited to draft combine so there is some interest out there.
EDIT: state draft combine actually

must suck being wrong ALL the time.

First Jaspa isn't worth a 3rd rounder and now Snell no chance?

:D:p
Jennifer Aniston Fighting GIF

Brisbane Lions Academy and Redland Victoria Point Sharks player Raphael Geesu, has been awarded the 2023 Troy Clarke Scholarship, named after the late Brisbane Bear player and AFL Queensland Development Manager Troy Clarke.

The scholarship is designed to support a young person from regional Queensland who displays the core values Troy, a South Cairns junior, embodied during his football journey including dedication, passion and respect. The scholarship will specifically look to focus and improve Raphael’s football, education and personal development.

South Cairns junior? That doesn't seem right given that is the GC area.
Troy Clarke played with South Cairns. Raphael was born in Palm Islands, but grew up in Brisbane.

Horrible news to hear last week about Issac Olver (academy player) who has sadly passed away from a tragic accident over the Christmas break, with my thoughts and prayers going on to his family and academy teammates out there in this horrible time for them.

#RestInPeace

Remove this Banner Ad

Back