Academy Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Congratulations to Toll Tiwi Bomber Adam Tipungwuti on becoming the first from the Club to win the NT News NTFL Rising Star Award

Affectionately known as “Jabber” the 17 year old played 11 games in season 2013/14 mostly as a rebounding halfback opposed to the opposition quickest small forward during the season to take his NTFL career total to 20.

His selection showed the judges were very astute with the focus of the award being on a “Rising Star from the NT” which Adam fulfils beautifully. The judging panel included NT Hall of Fame member and multi Brisbane Best & Fairest Michael McLean.

Born 4 June 1996 the talented youngster made his debut shortly after his 16th birthday in 2012 playing 9 games in NTFL Season 2012/13.

Adam is a member of the Brisbane Lions Youth Development Squad whilst attending St Patricks College in Brisbane. He stays with the Whitecross family whose son plays with Hawthorn.

After playing for Queensland as an overage player in 2013 at the AFL National Under 16 Championships Adam will represent the Maroons at the 2014 AFL National Under 18 event.

Eligible for the 2014 AFL Draft in November Adam will attract attention for his skills highlighted by his clean ball handling under pressure, awesome disposal and above average “balance”.

Adam’s most outstanding game in the just completed NTFL season came when opposed to recently delisted Gold Coast Sun Liam Patrick in a home game at Wurrumiyanga in Round 6. Opposed to the brilliant Liam Patrick who has emerged as the most influential player in the current NTFL finals series Adam not only nullified his more experienced opponent but provided skilful rebound to the Toll Tiwi Bomber team.

A younger brother of Toll Tiwi Bomber Premiership player Albert, Adam has matured both as a player and a person with his Brisbane school and football experience to quickly become a respected team leader despite his tender years.

http://tiwibombers.com.au/toll-tiwi-bomber-adam-tipungwuti-wins-nt-news-ntfl-rising-star-award/

Mad Monday ranking Dawson (5) and Hammelmann (27) in the top thirty.

1. Jake Lever (Key Defender)
2. Christian Petracca (Forward/Midfielder)
3. Paddy McCartin (Key Forward)
4. Peter Wright (Key Forward/Ruck)
5. Liam Dawson (Forward/Defender)
6. Sam Durdin (Key Position Utility)
7. Dylan Winton (Utility)
8. Hugh Goddard (Key Forward/Defender)
9. Peter Bampton (Midfielder)
10. Angus Brayshaw (Midfielder)
11. Clem Smith (Utility)
12. Jarrod Pickett (Utility)
13. Brayden Maynard (Midfielder)
14. Sean McLaren (Key Defender/Ruck)
15. Isaac Heeney (Midfielder)
16. Touk Miller (Midfielder)
17. Ryan Lim (Forward/Midfielder)
18. Tom Lamb (Midfielder/Forward)
19. Lachie Weller (Midfielder)
20. Alex Urban (Midfielder)
21. Jack Hayes (Forward)
22. Bradley Walsh (Midfielder)
23. Alec Waterman (Midfielder)
24. Liam Griffiths (Midfielder)
25. Billy Stretch (Midfielder)
26. Christian Buykx – Smith (Defender)
27. Matthew Hammelmann (Key Forward)
28. Bohdi Walker (Midfielder)
29. Darcy Moore (Key Utility)
30. Daniel Capiron (Key Defender)

http://madmondayshow.com/2014/03/21/2014-pre-season-rankings-top-30/

My "little mate" is on that list - maybe his mum is right and he will get drafted! Gosh i hope so!

Little mate means i purchase my surfboard off him and his mum works with my mrs.

Let's hope the real pundits rate Dawson closer to 10-12 so we can get Dawson and Hammellman with second and third picks rather than first and second.

Most I have seen rate Weller as the best Queenslander. Top 10 then dawson and Hammelman at the 18-19 mark. Realistically if the draft was held tomorrow we would be forced to use a first round pick on one of them if other clubs plan on keeping us in check. I think whether we would commit to a first rounder on either of them would just depend on where we finish this year. If we finish bottom four I can't see us using one to keep a queensland player unless Dawson or Hammelman have absolutely stand out years this year. Hopefully we finish around the bottom of the 8.

Realistically if the draft was held tomorrow we would be forced to use a first round pick on one of them if other clubs plan on keeping us in check.

Nah I don't necessarily agree. We shouldn't get too carried away with the pundits at madmondayshow.com.

A lot of water to go under the bridge with the TAC Cup, U18 champs, WA Colts, SANFL, NEAFL etc before Dawson is genuinely rated a top 5 pick.

Last edited:
Nah I don't necessarily agree. We shouldn't get too carried away with the pundits at madmondayshow.com.

A lot of water to go under the bridge with the TAC Cup, U18 champs, WA Colts, SANFL etc before Dawson is genuinely rated a top 5 pick.
I have looked at a few phantoms and what people are saying about next years group and every single one has had Dawson and Hammelman as first round selections. I know this is pretty common I think Tickner was rated that high before falling off the radar as the year progressed but I think now with the introductions of the Academy's clubs will have to think strategically about keeping us from getting high quality talent at the later picks. Especially when it comes to GWS and GC who already have stacked lists.

Most I have seen rate Weller as the best Queenslander. Top 10 then dawson and Hammelman at the 18-19 mark. Realistically if the draft was held tomorrow we would be forced to use a first round pick on one of them if other clubs plan on keeping us in check. I think whether we would commit to a first rounder on either of them would just depend on where we finish this year. If we finish bottom four I can't see us using one to keep a queensland player unless Dawson or Hammelman have absolutely stand out years this year. Hopefully we finish around the bottom of the 8.

It's honestly too far out to tell where our Queensland boys(or anyone) rate at the moment. Weller could easily slip down to mid second round or later which honestly wouldn't surprise me. Conway was considered a second round pick earlier last year, ended up getting selected as a rookie.

But at this stage, I'd be extremely surprised if we had to give up a first rounder for one of the academy boys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone will keep Brisbane honest and force them to use their first round pick on Dawson. It's a nothing to lose approach from opposition clubs because you don't have to draft someone even if you sound out your intentions to. We (Port) made Essendon use their first pick on Danniher and I'm sure a team that finishes lower than Brisbane this year will force the Lions to do the same thing.

Someone will keep Brisbane honest and force them to use their first round pick on Dawson. It's a nothing to lose approach from opposition clubs because you don't have to draft someone even if you sound out your intentions to.

Not sure you understand the process to be honest.

If Dawson is seen as the 10-12th best player in the draft and Brisbane's first pick is 5. I strongly doubt the team with pick 4 is going to bid on Dawson. We'll happily just take the 4th pick in the draft in that situation.

Nothing to lose? If someone bids on Dawson and Brisbane doesn't match it. That team can't suddenly say "we don't want Dawson after all". They have to take him.

I'll take "Confused Posters of BigFooty" for $400 please Alex...
clue.gif

Last edited:
Not sure you understand the process to be honest.

If Dawson is seen as the 10-12th best player in the draft and Brisbane's first pick is 5. I strongly doubt the team with pick 4 is going to bid on Dawson. We'll happily just take the 4th pick in the draft in that situation.
Why not? It would mean a better player should slip to their second pick. A lot depends on where Brisbane finish and how badly they want Dawson.

Someone will keep Brisbane honest and force them to use their first round pick on Dawson. It's a nothing to lose approach from opposition clubs because you don't have to draft someone even if you sound out your intentions to. We (Port) made Essendon use their first pick on Danniher and I'm sure a team that finishes lower than Brisbane this year will force the Lions to do the same thing.

1. Daniher was easily worthy of a early first round pick. Dawson isn't at this stage.
2. Isn't it a bidding process? i.e: If a club bidded an early first round pick on Dawson they would have to take him with that pick if we choose not to up the bid?

Why not? It would mean a better player should slip to their second pick.

Because using your logic that means the team has downgraded their first round pick from 4 to 10 in order to potentially upgrade their second pick one place...

Okayyyyy dude... sounds good....

Last edited:
It's honestly too far out to tell where our Queensland boys(or anyone) rate at the moment. Weller could easily slip down to mid second round or later which honestly wouldn't surprise me. Conway was considered a second round pick earlier last year, ended up getting selected as a rookie.

But at this stage, I'd be extremely surprised if we had to give up a first rounder for one of the academy boys.
I did say if the draft was held tomorrow.... There is a whole year of Footy. I personally think there are a couple of QLD guys that will come up out of no where as potentials to be drafted. By the way this years QLD team is one of the strongest they have had in a long time.

Because using your logic that means the team has downgraded their first round pick from 4 to 10 in order to upgrade their second pick one place...

Okayyyyy dude... sounds good....
Sorry, I added more to my post. A lot depends on where Brisbane finish on the ladder and his worth at the end of the season. Do you 100% have to draft the player if you bid on them and the original club chooses not to use their next pick on them?

Isn't it a bidding process? i.e: If a club bidded an early first round pick on Dawson they would have to take him with that pick if we choose not to up the bid?
Like I said in my last post, does the club 100% have to draft the player if they bid on them and the original club chooses not to use their next pick on them?

Like I said in my last post, does the club 100% have to draft the player if they bid on them and the original club chooses not to use their next pick on them?

Yes, they do. That is the essence of the system. It would be stupid and illogical if it was otherwise.

All I wanted to do was create some discussion in that I think the drafting process will become a lot more tactical with the introduction of the Academies and the stacked lists of GWS and the suns.

I did say if the draft was held tomorrow.... There is a whole year of Footy. I personally think there are a couple of QLD guys that will come up out of no where as potentials to be drafted. By the way this years QLD team is one of the strongest they have had in a long time.

I still don't agree that we would be forced to use a first round pick on one of them. But I guess it depends where we finish. And it sure is a strong QLD side, I'm not debating that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back