Ackland Delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Bad luck, Cain.

Well, I guess we're drafting a ruckman now.

It's also good because Thrusties may become a ruckman/forward as opposed to forward/ruckman, thus opening a spot for my friend, your friend, Damon White.

He's still young enough to be rookie listed, so we might as well.

Yeah, I don't think we're that desperate.

Ackland and Champion would both be worth looking at for the Rookie List though.

Ackland mainly for insurance in case something happens Primus, Lade or Brogan.

Champion because he is still developing and getting over injuries plus he still has a very unknown potential.

Pity. I had high hopes for him when he was first drafted. Saw him as a 16/17yo playing ressies for Port and was impressed by his size and athleticism. In the end too many injuries and not enough marks. Don't worry about rookie listing, the men in red, yellow and blue blazers will have well and truly gone through our bin by then.

So grab Chad Gibson, or will there be a better option with the 1st round picks?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, there's three options.

1. Draft a favoured ruck at #11. Though there's good odds that the top 3 (Wood, Deluca, Meeson) will be gone by then, in which case don't bother.
2. Draft a slightly less favoured ruck at #19 like Ivan Maric. Ryan Willits may still be around
3. Draft a real development ruck at #34/#35. Jesse Wells, Adam Pattison or similar.

I like option 3 best, as if scenario 1 occurs, Eckermann should fall to us.

After we spooked the crows into trading for Scott Thompson, I suspect they'll go for a tall with #8, so Eckermann could be a chance. You don't think he's too small?

Are you still keen on Gibson or is Willits/Maric more appealing? Willits more a KPP than ruckman?

Ford Fairlane said:
After we spooked the crows into trading for Scott Thompson, I suspect they'll go for a tall with #8, so Eckermann could be a chance. You don't think he's too small?
Nah. By trading Josh Carr, we've just got rid of one of our shortest players, so I think we can afford another. Importantly he's fast and can get the ball.

Are you still keen on Gibson or is Willits/Maric more appealing? Willits more a KPP than ruckman?
Still keen on Gibson, yeah, but obviously thats just me. I can see him being a good spoiling CHB with a bit of aggro - almost a non-existent sort of player in the AFL at the moment. Could ruck like Darren Mead did until he's more developed.

Maric has a certain appeal...he's got a basketball background, and with our track record you'd think he could develop well at Port. That said he's a Vic Metro player, the most homesick group of players, so who knows?

Willits...I dunno enough about his background, except that his value seems to have dropped for some reason.

Interesting thoughts. I can only go on what I've read. I guess Eckemann is around Hassan's size already but only 17 and Port would've taken Schammer if Salopek hadn't been available, so his size mightn't be a worry.

I've read that Willits's form has dropped off since the carnival, so that might be why he's devalued.

Other than Maric the other ruck options mentioned seem a bit short, so maybe Broges could take him under his wing. I'd guess Maric is Serbian background so lots of potential friends from Royal Park/Queenstown and we can do our bit for Balkans goodwill ... ;)

Fast forwarding a year is HURN from Centrals available to us under father son rule? I've asked lots of people and no-one seams to know.

The short answer is no. His dad didn't play 200 games for Centrals, which is what he would have needed to do to be eligible for us.

Altho he hasnt deserved to stay on the list, I really didnt think we would delist him. Bit of a shock. Makes our ruck stocks very very thin. If Primus doesnt come on much and if one of the other two get injured we are relaly thin on in the ruck now.

Id say we may even redraft him ala Poults.

Unless Monfries or Eckermann fall to 11 then id say we should go for one of the big 3 rucks on offer.

Basically if neither Monfries or Eckermann fall to 11, then one of the big 3 rucks should be available.

Nine of the top 11 could/should be Deledio, Tambling, Griffen, Franklin, Wood, Meeson, Monfries, Eckermann, Deluca with the likes of Lewis, Willits, Roughead and maybe Bate being a fair chance also.

Well with Cain gone and Primus the big mystery and us already having had a game in 2004 with only one recognised ruckman I'll be ********ed if we don't get the best ruckman left with either pick 11 or 19 AND rookie list another - possibly Cain if still around then. Personally whilst I hope our captain plays all 22 games plus every final next year I don't want to rely on it.

Andre said:
Well with Cain gone and Primus the big mystery and us already having had a game in 2004 with only one recognised ruckman I'll be ********ed if we don't get the best ruckman left with either pick 11 or 19 AND rookie list another - possibly Cain if still around then. Personally whilst I hope our captain plays all 22 games plus every final next year I don't want to rely on it.
Ditto here. Beat me to it.

We saw this coming as far back as last year. Cain never really had a good run with injury even as opportunity presented itself. What else can you say except good luck and all the best Cain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back