Play Nice Adam Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pretty sure we just witnessed a well thought out political statement rather than a reaction to to some opposition fans booing him there. Its no coincidence that this is Indigenous round. I think Adam wants to be remembered with the likes of Nicky Winmar for an iconic aboriginal statement more than anything else.

Goodes has said he's considering entering politics, which colours my opinion of him quite strongly. I'm in two minds as to whether he was genuinely doing the warcry simply because he's proud of his heritage, or whether part of his thought process was to stir the pot and give himself another (fairly valid) soap box to speak from during the week.

I dunno. People are complex. Both Goodes and those that are booing him.

From what I understand, Nicky Winmar wasn't trying to make a statement about his race, he was pointing to his heart, not skin.

Nicky Winmar => becomes an icon without even trying.

Adam Goodes => tries really hard to become one but everyone thinks he's a flog.
Here we go the history books are getting rewritten now

Winmar is clearly making a statement about race there

"But I remember all the racial comments that I was receiving from the crowd. I got sick and tired of what was happening.

"As an indigenous sportsperson, I wanted to show that I am a human being as well, no matter what colour I am.

"I said I was black and I was proud."

So what if Judd machine gunned the Sydney cheers quad after slotting a simple one?

Noone would give two hoots I'd reckon**. Think of things that have happened in the past - Micky O going right up to the WC squad - did they cry about it? Nup, and the images are iconic in the game even today. I remember Lockett cannoning the ball into the Swans cheersquad at one point many years ago - wasn't the best look in retrospect, but didn't really do any harm. I'm sure others can come up with other examples too.

People are too precious these days - it was a little war dance with a guy brandishing a spear (not actually even throwing it). Get over it.

** assuming no actual machine gun used.

We wouldn't even be having this discussion/debate if he probably wasn't subjected to a whole lot of differential and abusive treatment because of his race. I'm pretty sure that would be where the separating people and pushing them apart is coming from.

Except why is there always an assumption that it is about his race? He dives, whinges to umpires and is a dirty player, so he gets booed initially. Then the media get on it and play the race card, Goodes does interviews and does nothing to dismiss this, which people dislike. The cycle then repeats with ducks and dives, boos are released, then more race cards played.

Pretty sure we just witnessed a well thought out political statement rather than a reaction to to some opposition fans booing him there. Its no coincidence that this is Indigenous round. I think Adam wants to be remembered with the likes of Nicky Winmar for an iconic aboriginal statement more than anything else.
Like I said in another thread. I will possibly be judged by others for saying this here.

To me that looked like a calculated action to get a non politically correct response from that section of the crowd.

It is also unfortunate that the games of Franklin and Jetta may be overlooked in the coverage for that celebration.

Goodes has said he's considering entering politics, which colours my opinion of him quite strongly. I'm in two minds as to whether he was genuinely doing the warcry simply because he's proud of his heritage, or whether part of his thought process was to stir the pot and give himself another (fairly valid) soap box to speak from during the week.

I dunno. People are complex. Both Goodes and those that are booing him.

I think he knew what this round is about and chose to put the issue on the front page of the paper tomorrow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what I understand, Nicky Winmar wasn't trying to make a statement about his race, he was pointing to his heart, not skin.

Nicky Winmar => becomes an icon without even trying.

Adam Goodes => tries really hard to become one but everyone thinks he's a flog.
Well that is not my understanding. Winmar was pointing out the colour of his skin.

I like the fact he did it. Adds to the drama, discussion etc.

I think he's trying hard to be a leader in indigenous affairs but unfortunately has little charisma. I think he means well and is putting himself out there. Kudos for that. But unfortunately his demeanour/personality isn't quite there. Great footballer. Passionate. But awkward.

Pretty sure in the past players "giving the bird" to the crowd has been subject to fines from the AFL. In light of this I'm really interested to see how the AFL handles this incident. From what I saw it was directed at the crowd and was a combative type of gesture (not knowing the meaning of the dance, but that is how i perceived it, and I recon that is how it would have been received by the fans it was directed to)... But how would the AFL look if they fined a player for "celebrating" their heritage during indigenous week.

I don't have a problem with the dance itself, but should have been done prior to the game like the Hakka, and directed towards his combatants for the game, rather than the crowd.

I think that what he's done is really able to fit in with whatever anyone's preconceived notion of the bloke is.

If you think he's a noble proud aboriginal man, then it's a defiant spit in the face of those who sledge him. If you think he's an A-grade flog then it can definitely be viewed as a floggish act.

I don't really have a problem with the act itself; I'm all for players not being robotic and showing some personality to in and of itself no problem with it whatsoever. But it does fit in with my preconceived notion of him that he is trying to make it all about him - for the second year in a row he's made a public stand to coincide with the indigenous round, to try and turn it into being all about Adam Goodes rather than a celebration of what the indigenous people bring to the game

Good post.

It was kind of cool, and appreciate it... Except I think Goodes is a massive tosser, so I find it hard to see it as a sincere gesture and not just attention whoring.

Are you kidding me? The dance was freaking awesome! Would love to see more of that s**t. The haka has a huge place in sports and it was great to see something like that in our game.
Not like this. Did it in the most arrogant way possible towards the opposition set of fans. Pregame is fine, maybe get an aboriginal spirit going like Dreamtime at the G type.. But come on, every one knows it's not done in the spirit of the game. I mean if Goodes played soccer or anything in Europe he wouldn't last long at all.

all he cares about his getting attention for himself to ensure he gets taxpayer funded work after his over due retirement probably as the alps next useless celebrity candidate like the midnight oil guy. just creates division and takes attention away from many great indigenous and other Australians trying to unite us all not divide us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back