Play Nice Adam Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
footy used to be an escape from the bullshit of working ice. Go along barrack for your team give some s**t to the opposition and have fun.

Now the politically correct crap that we are subject to at work has taken over footy. Some rejoice at this, I do not, I miss the escapism of footy now it's a ****ung chore hence why I can't be bothered going anymore.
Not being allowed to be offensive is a chore?

Some people go to the footy to enjoy the game, not watch a bunch of boorish idiots yell rubbish from behind a fence.

My argument? In your haste to finger point, I think you have confused me for someone else.

But it certainly wasn't the argument of David King. You just made that up. You exaggerated him expressing an opinion into him being empowered to control the right to cultural celebration of another person. Complete strawman argument in which you find yourself arguing with yourself.

King has a right to hold an opinion on whether Goodes' celebration was appropriate in the circumstances. Being members of an AFL community and financial supporters of the league, we all do in fact, for it was in this forum Goodes chose to express himself. For whatever reason though, you seem to want to deny this right to opinion. Precedents have been set regarding players' interaction with the crowd and given this is what occurred, it is little wonder his actions are up for debate.

I was responding to what was purported to be the comment of King. If the reporting of the comments were not accurate I apologise to him.

The question I pose is this, in what way is he an authority to be quoted to add weight to a comment regarding the appropriateness of a celebration of indigenous culture?

But the fact some people don't like him, or agree with how he expresses themselves, doesn't mean that they're condoning the behaviour of people who do that kind of thing on wiki.
All I am saying is that he has to deal with racism and hate every day and when he makes a stand - the hate increased tenfold because he dared speak up.

I mean seriously.

Let's try something new. Let's show Respect for aboriginal people EVEN though they may not be perfect.

Why don't we try that?

I loved the dance, I hope to see it more often, it's great. But don't direct it at supporters, it's simply not on and it's obvious what he was doing. As someone mentioned earlier if he had of done it directed at the Sydney cheer squad it would have been brilliant and a true celebration.

Right thing to do but wrong part of the crowd.

It was a war cry so it would have been a bit silly to do it to his own supporters, that's why he chose to direct it towards Carlton supporters.

I think he should've directed it to Carlton players instead though and probably before the game like the All Blacks do with the haka. They don't do a haka aimed at opposition supporters after they score a try, if they did they would probably get canned for it too, by doing the haka before the game directed at their player opponents it adds to the theatre without riling up opposition supporters.

Last edited:
I am simply saying that people have a hundred reasons to judge Adam, but the emotional force behind it is racism.

Pauline Hanson made a very successful career out of doing this.

And it's time to call it out.

Seriously? I get the fact that you're enjoying stirring s**t up on this topic, but you shouldn't get away with such broadbrush, generalist crap like this.

There are people who dislike Goodes because he's Aboriginal. The force behind that is racism. These people also boo Jetta, Franklin, Ryder and Betts.

There are people who dislike Goodes because he's a protected species with the AFL. The force behind that is injustice. They also boo Selwood, Franklin and Watson.

There are people who dislike Goodes being a sniper. The force behind that is anger. They also boo Steve Johnson, Lewis or Hodge.

So stop pretending the "emotional force" behind this criticism is racism. That's a naive and simplistic view of a complex issue and it doesn't help.

Yes but thousands have come out and called Adam a sook and countless other things.

Not sure how well these people would deal with constant racism - day after day.
I know racism is an issue, but I don't see other indigenous players reacting in such ways. He has put himself on a level which he simply shouldn't be on. He almost thrives on the attention now, which the issue shouldn't be about. Surely all the talk being about his actions is not what he set out to achieve, putting important issues in the background.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I went to a Collingwood game in 1993 and there was a guy in the crowd telling the idigenous players to go and eat grubs and called them black 'c's' from the back of the stand.

It was a war cry so it would have been a bit silly to do it to his own supporters, that's why he chose to direct it towards Carlton supporters.

I think he should've directed it to Carlton players instead though and probably before the game like the All Blacks do with the haka. They don't do a haka aimed at opposition supporters after they score a try, if they did they would probably get canned for it too, by doing the haka before the game directed at their opponents it adds to the theatre without riling up opposition supporters.

You've nailed it in one.

I have never seen the a Hakka performed by the NZ team directed at the opposition supporters and if it happened it would be quickly stopped.

Thanks for pointing this out

Goodes said this morning that he had another dance planned if he kicked the first goal down the other end to be done for the Swans supporters. I don't understand why he just didn't do that one instead of doing the war dance in front of the Carlton supporters. It's not like there weren't Swans down that end. If he does, there would have been a better reaction to it

I was responding to what was purported to be the comment of King. If the reporting of the comments were not accurate I apologise to him.

The question I pose is this, in what way is he an authority to be quoted to add weight to a comment regarding the appropriateness of a celebration of indigenous culture?

Not sure where authority comes into it. A poster simply put up their interpretation of King's opinion and said that they agreed with it. What perplexes me is that you seem to want to deny others the right to an opinion on the matter.

Not sure where authority comes into it. A poster simply put up their interpretation of King's
opinion and said that they agreed with it. What perplexes me is that you seem to want to deny others the right to an opinion on the matter.

As a way of giving weight to what they were saying. Hence an authority.

No, I just want people to consider whether their opinion should carry weight on the issue.

my wonderings and observations

someone asked goodes if he heard e mcguires comments that the act was aggressive (which i have heard he never said). anyway, MMM guys were quick to defend ed. battlelines drawn

blue corner
ed/triple M

red
goodes

goodesy said act not premeditated. however he said in same conference that it was planned.

spoke to a swans supporter (member) this morning. he said goodes should "suck it up".

I think Barrett said it best. Goodes isn't just a footballer anymore. he's a leader/ role model and spokes person for the wider indigenous community, and if he wants to use the platform of Friday night football in the indigenous round to proudly be that leader then he has every right to, and more power to him.

I know racism is an issue, but I don't see other indigenous players reacting in such ways. He has put himself on a level which he simply shouldn't be on. He almost thrives on the attention now, which the issue shouldn't be about. Surely all the talk being about his actions is not what he set out to achieve, putting important issues in the background.
He is the one speaking up so he is the one copping it. I am pretty sure he wishes Eddie had not called him a Gorilla and that girl had not called him an ape.

But racism exists ...

Once he retires, another indigenous athlete will step up and do the same. Hopefully, the mob reaction will be less by then.

I have not read the 1600+ previous posts, and I did not watch last night's game. I did however read the press coverage this morning.

I have absolutely no problem with Adam Goodes "war dance" as a celebration of Indigenous Round, but at a stadium filled with 32,000 spectators, of who, maybe, 2,000 were Carlton supporters, why did he have to do his dance right in front of a concentration of Carlton supporters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back