Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Umm we lost by 100+ to freo, WB, Adelaide and Sydney 3 of those didn't make the 8

Doesn't matter who we play they can win easily by 100 if they try

edit... losing track of who/when we lost by 100+ been so many

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yes but at least the players are still trying to take the game on and not go into their shells, which happened nearly every week last year.

Good to see them attack, despite the score. Last year would've just gone into complete damage control mode from the 2nd quarter.

Baby steps.

Simpson said after the game "we're not delusional". Thou doth protest too much. The cold hard facts are we've made our worst ever start to a season; by percentage, cumulative margin, and total points scored. 43 was our 5th lowest home score of all time. We are dead last with a percentage under 50. And we've lost all 8 quarters. It's great that people are so adept at spotting green shoots, but the alarm bells are screaming.

Simpson said after the game "we're not delusional". Thou doth protest too much. The cold hard facts are we've made our worst ever start to a season; by percentage, cumulative margin, and total points scored. 43 was our 5th lowest home score of all time. We are dead last with a percentage under 50. And we've lost all 8 quarters. It's great that people are so adept at spotting green shoots, but the alarm bells are screaming.

We just played 2 teams who are in contention for top 4 and legit premiership contenders.

Next week we play another top 4 hopefull.

The following week we play another top 4/premiership contender.

As shite as it is, the fact both games havent been 100+ floogings is improvement.

It was disappointing the last couple of goals they got late to blow it out over 60 points. I'm sure someone has the breakdown of red-time goals but I'm sure they had 1 or 2 a quarter which is just about the difference between what was ultimately a blow out and something most supporters would have been proud to cop.

I get frustrated with Simpson as much as anyone but it's clear we are trying new things when we have the ball in hand and we are much more competitive at the stoppages. Plus I doubt it is possible to improve in all areas at once. The complete lack of defensive pressure as oppo transition from our 50 to a shot on goal at the other end is the thing that gets my goat the most, it just looks like amateur hour when we don't have the ball and the oppo get it on the outside.

Big difference in effort at least these first 2 games. Something to build on at least and we were a handful of basic skill errors from having a handful more reasonably high percentage shots on goal.

The real test is if Simmo can keep the boys fronting up and putting in like the first 2 rounds when we are a month or 6 weeks in and the young fellas are getting sore and the vets are at risk of switching off.

We just played 2 teams who are in contention for top 4 and legit premiership contenders.

Next week we play another top 4 hopefull.

The following week we play another top 4/premiership contender.

As shite as it is, the fact both games havent been 100+ floogings is improvement.
All teams are top 4 contenders to us.

It doesn't matter who we play they are all getting at least a 5 goal head start.

It was disappointing the last couple of goals they got late to blow it out over 60 points. I'm sure someone has the breakdown of red-time goals but I'm sure they had 1 or 2 a quarter which is just about the difference between what was ultimately a blow out and something most supporters would have been proud to cop.

I get frustrated with Simpson as much as anyone but it's clear we are trying new things when we have the ball in hand and we are much more competitive at the stoppages. Plus I doubt it is possible to improve in all areas at once. The complete lack of defensive pressure as oppo transition from our 50 to a shot on goal at the other end is the thing that gets my goat the most, it just looks like amateur hour when we don't have the ball and the oppo get it on the outside.

Big difference in effort at least these first 2 games. Something to build on at least and we were a handful of basic skill errors from having a handful more reasonably high percentage shots on goal.

The real test is if Simmo can keep the boys fronting up and putting in like the first 2 rounds when we are a month or 6 weeks in and the young fellas are getting sore and the vets are at risk of switching off.

40% of GWS goals were scored in red time or 20% of game time......

Note:Stat stolen from another user and thread

Of course this is looking bad. Any season would look bad when we have been successful for so long.

It's like we have gotten used to only driving Lamborghini, Ferrari, etc and suddenly we have to drive a cheap rental car for a while that is towards the end of its life till we get our fancy ride back.

We are not used to experiencing this so people are freaking out. When in reality this is normal and will just take time and draft/recruiting to resolve.

Of course this is looking bad. Any season would look bad when we have been successful for so long.

It's like we have gotten used to only driving Lamborghini, Ferrari, etc and suddenly we have to drive a cheap rental car for a while that is towards the end of its life till we get our fancy ride back.

We are not used to experiencing this so people are freaking out. When in reality this is normal and will just take time and draft/recruiting to resolve.
There's a chance we're in the doldrums for a decade and a half like Carlton were, Melbourne for a decade. That will be shizen!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Genuine question.
Would any other coach in the AFL last 3 years losing by an average margin of 10 goals each week?

No they would not but that is not why he is the coach still. He is still our coach because the club did not want to look bad by wasting a couple of million dollars on paying him out. It was simply a financial decision.

A very professional and well run club would never of dropped to this level. You don't need to go to this level to rebuild.

The thing that is more important at this point than Simpson and whether he stays or goes is the drafting team. There are limits to how much damage Simpson can do from here even if he performs poorly as coach. But the draft picks are critical. We have very little quality young talent on our list. The senior players are going to continue with declining output and performances as they get older further away from 30 and then retire. We desperately need young talent and we need to get it ready as fast as possible. We can not blow any more high draft picks. Every first and second round pick from here needs to be a winner. Or the bottom really fall out way worse than it already has.

We really need to make a call that we are going to get the cheque book out and get some high end off field staff, especially with our draft team and scouts, and be prepared to go over the cap and pay for it. It doesn't have to be forever. But i think for the next 5 years they need to be prepared to spend some money getting some credentialed people in to make sure we don't blow the coming draft picks that we absolutely can not afford to blow. Thats the price we have to pay for being in this hole that we have spent 10 years digging ourselves into.

The thing that is more important at this point than Simpson and whether he stays or goes is the drafting team. There are limits to how much damage Simpson can do from here even if he performs poorly as coach. But the draft picks are critical. We have very little quality young talent on our list. The senior players are going to continue with declining output and performances as they get older further away from 30 and then retire. We desperately need young talent and we need to get it ready as fast as possible. We can not blow any more high draft picks. Every first and second round pick from here needs to be a winner. Or the bottom really fall out way worse than it already has.

We really need to make a call that we are going to get the cheque book out and get some high end off field staff, especially with our draft team and scouts, and be prepared to go over the cap and pay for it. It doesn't have to be forever. But i think for the next 5 years they need to be prepared to spend some money getting some credentialed people in to make sure we don't blow the coming draft picks that we absolutely can not afford to blow. Thats the price we have to pay for being in this hole that we have spent 10 years digging ourselves into.

We have to go after some serious talent also and be prepared to part with some household names.
Targets - Chad Warner and Shai Bolton. 22 and 25 years old respectively. Both WA boys. By finishing last again which we will this will give us good draft capital and we also have some playing capital that other clubs would be interested in if they are in a premiership window. Gov, Barrass, Darling, Duggan, Sheed, Ryan.

Yes it's a pipedream but thats how we have to build, the draft is not enough, you have to get some serious proven young talent in your side that is hungry to go through the build with the kids you draft.

Now obviously players have contracts etc so this is very difficult but it's not impossible.

Last edited:
It makes me sick to say it, but I really think our next coach needs to be someone cut from the same cloth as Ross Lyon (with less "budding" interests however) - a bloke who can drill structure and game-day setup so far into the heads of the players that they collectively run match simulations in their dreams while they sleep.

Give the side a "ground floor" to work off of so that we can develop structures, mitigate the floggings and actually begin to look like something resembling a footy team on-field. Once we do that we can work on our s**t-tastic ball skills.

It makes me sick to say it, but I really think our next coach needs to be someone cut from the same cloth as Ross Lyon (with less "budding" interests however) - a bloke who can drill structure and game-day setup so far into the heads of the players that they collectively run match simulations in their dreams while they sleep.

Give the side a "ground floor" to work off of so that we can develop structures, mitigate the floggings and actually begin to look like something resembling a footy team on-field. Once we do that we can work on our s**t-tastic ball skills.

The ball skills should be there. You learn your skills from under 10's to under 16's. We unfortunately have drafted players with poor skills. This is terrible drafting. Not much you can do with their skills now. You can teach them awareness, you can teach them decision making. But very much their skills are built into them as a footballer.
I have seen very few players improve their kicking skills past the age of 18. Not impossible but highly unlikely.
Chad fletcher, chris Masten, Liam Duggan are perfect examples. No better kicks than when they started.

Few teams have been THIS bad.

2022 2W 59.8%
2023 3W 53%
2024 0W 49.6% (so far)

That is one of the worst runs in AFL history.

Even North had a season in 2021 where they got to 4 wins and 70%.

Few teams have been THIS bad.

2022 2W 59.8%
2023 3W 53%
2024 0W 49.6% (so far)

That is one of the worst runs in AFL history.

Even North had a season in 2021 where they got to 4 wins and 70%.

2021. Year 5 of their now seemingly endless post Boomer Harvey rebuild?

I'll eat my hat if we don't clock more than 4 wins in year 5 - 2026 - of our rebuild.

2021. Year 5 of their now seemingly endless post Boomer Harvey rebuild?

I'll eat my hat if we don't clock more than 4 wins in year 5 - 2026 - of our rebuild.

I don’t consider norths rebuild starting in 2016.

They went hard for dusty jn 2017, Kelly in 2016-17(cant quite remember) Gaff, De Goey et al in 2018, they weren’t rebuilding, they were looking for a sweet sugar hit.

Their rebuild started in earnest in 2020.

I don’t consider norths rebuild starting in 2016.

They went hard for dusty jn 2017, Kelly in 2016-17(cant quite remember) Gaff, De Goey et al in 2018, they weren’t rebuilding, they were looking for a sweet sugar hit.

Their rebuild started in earnest in 2020.

I'll pay that Norf are always hunting for a headliner that they can roll out to sign up members and sponsors but they gutted their list at the end of 2016 to try and turn their aging players into draft capital. That's when they threw their 2015 prelim finalist making list into a rebuild.

We even picked up Petrie out of the bloodletting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back