Other Adrian Peterson - Indicted for Child Abuse

Remove this Banner Ad

Idiot...

Roddy White thinks his fantasy team is the real victim of the Adrian Peterson case
Posted by Michael David Smith on September 12, 2014, 9:02 PM EDT
roddywhite.jpg
Getty Images
As the worst week in NFL history comes to a close, we wrap things up with Falcons receiver Roddy White winning the award for the worst response to the Adrian Peterson indictment.

When White heard that Peterson has been indicted for injuring his 4-year-old son, White’s concerns weren’t for the boy, or anyone else connected to the case. White’s concerns were for his own fantasy football team.

“I’m probably going to lose my fantasy football matchup this week cause all day can’t play Sunday for disciplining his child Jesus help us,” White wrote on Twitter.

White later deleted the tweet. The rest of us will try to delete it from our memory. And think back to a better time, when White was just using Twitter to weasel out of March Madness bets.

UPDATE 9:15 p.m. ET: White has now tweeted, “I should not have made light of a very serious situation. I understand the strong feelings about this issue and i shouldn’t have said that.”

Nothing wrong with a spanking but he did go way too far. To draw blood and leave scars is just ridiculous. I doubt he will be banned for life or anything, probably just the rest of the season.
You condone child abuse? :eek:

The Minneapolis Star-Tribune considers it "likely" that the Vikings or the NFL will "take action" against Adrian Peterson on Monday, fallowing his indictment on charges of reckless and negligent injury to a child.

In other words, there's more discipline coming on top of Peterson's Week 2 deactivation. The details of Peterson's alleged mistreatment of his four-year-old son have caused an uproar, which may necessitate a hard penalty from the NFL. At this point, there is simply no timetable for Peterson to return. Peterson's fantasy owners can hang on, but need to grab Matt Asiata. Intriguing rookie Jerick McKinnon is also worth stashing. Asiata could push for 20 carries in Sunday's game against the Patriots.

Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune

I hope he gets the Ray Rice treatment. You have a 4 year old kid who is absolutely defenceless, and Adrian Peterson, a 6'1 100kg bruiser goes to town on him with a stick. At that age, we put as much trust in our parents as dogs do for their masters. To read the details of what happened and the pictures, it just sickens me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NFL players really are special types

Women, children, dogs, there seems to be no limit how low they can go. Roddy White's response a reflection of how moronic some of them are.

I find it impossible to get a read on this one. With the Ray Rice situation, I've seen enough, experienced enough, and I know enough to have a very strong opinion on Ray Rice, on what he did, on the way the NFL handled it, and on the shameful fact that he was suspended not for what he did, but because there was a video.

But I don't have kids, nor do I have anything to do with kids. So my "best" experience of this is my own, going back more than 20 years - obviously a completely different time where corporal punishment wasn't just accepted, but was the norm. (As I said earlier, my nan and my dad - neither of whom I have a current relationship with - would be in DEEP s**t in this day and age!)

Which means I can't really pretend to know the right answer here, nor can I even compare it in terms of seriousness to Ray Rice. It also means I'm at risk of throwing my computer every time I see someone say "my dad hit me as a kid 30+ years ago and I turned out fine". It's ridiculous to compare completely different generations, and as GG alluded to, I'd suggest that these people (including myself) grew up "fine" in spite of that abuse, not because of it.

All week I (and many others) have said what I said above - that Rice was chucked because of the video, not because of what he did. Which is what makes it even more impossible to guess where the NFL and the Vikings will land on this.

I'd guess somewhere around 8-10 weeks... but it's only a guess.

I'm more interested in the opinions of BF members who are rationale, upstanding, social justice minded people who have partners and kids - how does what Peterson did compare to what Rice did in your eyes?

I find it impossible to get a read on this one. With the Ray Rice situation, I've seen enough, experienced enough, and I know enough to have a very strong opinion on Ray Rice, on what he did, on the way the NFL handled it, and on the shameful fact that he was suspended not for what he did, but because there was a video.

But I don't have kids, nor do I have anything to do with kids. So my "best" experience of this is my own, going back more than 20 years - obviously a completely different time where corporal punishment wasn't just accepted, but was the norm. (As I said earlier, my nan and my dad - neither of whom I have a current relationship with - would be in DEEP s**t in this day and age!)

Which means I can't really pretend to know the right answer here, nor can I even compare it in terms of seriousness to Ray Rice. It also means I'm at risk of throwing my computer every time I see someone say "my dad hit me as a kid 30+ years ago and I turned out fine". It's ridiculous to compare completely different generations, and as GG alluded to, I'd suggest that these people (including myself) grew up "fine" in spite of that abuse, not because of it.

All week I (and many others) have said what I said above - that Rice was chucked because of the video, not because of what he did. Which is what makes it even more impossible to guess where the NFL and the Vikings will land on this.

I'd guess somewhere around 8-10 weeks... but it's only a guess.

I'm more interested in the opinions of BF members who are rationale, upstanding, social justice minded people who have partners and kids - how does what Peterson did compare to what Rice did in your eyes?
I think what Peterson did was worse. A 4 year old is even more defenseless than Rices wife was.

Reddit users saying that using a stick when spanking used to be common in southern states, and apparently hurts less than a belt.

I don't think an NFL player should be suspended for spanking. However, AP obviously went way too far though.

I'm interested to see what penalty there is. I am expecting anywhere from 4-8 week, probably 6-8 weeks.

The reason for my confusion is that I broke one of my own cardinal rules earlier... I read the comments section of one of the articles that was linked to.

There were plenty of suggestions along the lines of "if there were more black fathers present in their childrens lives and showing them discipline, maybe there wouldn't be so many black kids in jail."

I don't know if this is symbolic of ingrained racism in America that I can't understand, or whether it's genuine race issues that I can't understand.

What Peterson did had nothing to do with discipline, it sounds like he lost his temper and took it out on his 4 year old son. Even at 4 that is something that won't just scar his son physically but mentally as well. In my eyes what he did was worse than what Rice did.

I think Peterson can expect a minimum suspension of six weeks, and it will probably be a season long suspension. The report about the child saying it wasn't the first time Daddy Peterson had done that will be the nail in his season's coffin.

Suspension may be the least of his worries but assuming he has no criminal history, this will probably be plead out, big fine, suspended jail time would be my uneducated guess. Reads to me he is simply repeating the same behaviour his parents used in bringing him up, genuinely loves his kids & doesn't see any issue with it -

When investigators questioned Peterson, they say he told them he regarded it as a normal spanking and not excessive. He told investigators, “To be honest with you, I feel very confident with my actions because I know my intent,” and when asked if he would reconsider using switches in the future, said he would never “eliminate whooping my kids … because I know how being spanked has helped me in my life.”

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/09/12/adrian-peterson-indicted-for-child-abuse/

adrian-peterson-text-messages.jpg

Very different world now from when I was a kid, my brothers & I copped it from mum & her wooden spoon more times than I care to remember & I got the cane a couple times in first year of high school, the penny probably started to drop around that time.

Clearly Petersen's actions are way over the top & not acceptable, but should there be some middle ground for a parent to be able to physically discipline their kids? I guess in this day & age the answer has to be no.

There's a lot of difference between a smack on the bum for a naughty kid and child abuse. Do you have kids?

Yeah, that was a really s**t thing to say and almost reportable imo.

Yes, db is just trying hard to be edgy and different... But its really poor form. I'd like to see an apology for it, tbh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back