• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 16, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GO YOU CROW BOYS
Righto drafters - now we are starting to get some meat in these questions.

So, I'd like us to achieve a consensus view on how we vote/judge teams at the end of the draft.

I'm fairly committed to voting and then have a head to head match ups for 'finals' as we've done in the past.

What we need to agree is the following:
- method by which we score and rank the sides to get a 1-18 list.
- whether any of that method will carry through to the end of season rankings.

OPTION1 - Previous JUDGING CRITERIA, no Impact on End of Season rankings

Rank each team by the categories below

Structure - 15pts. Does this work as an actual side?

Midfield Overall Talent - 5pts.
Inside Midfielders - 10pts.
Outside midfielders - 10pts.

Tall Forwards, inc third tall option - 10pts.
Small and Midsized Forwards - 10pts.
Does the team work structurally, and can they kick a winning score? Do they have multiple options, as well as strong key forward to hold it together?

Tall Defenders, inc third tall option - 10pts.
Small and Midsized Forwards - 10pts.
Do they have the options to stop a range of different forward lines?

Rucks - 10pts. Feel free to rate this slightly higher, but I only gave it five as it is only a player or two across your whole squad.

X-factor - 5pts. Does Bruce think they're special?
Experience - 5pts. Are they mature bodies, ready to win now?

OPTION2 - Carls Proposed CRITERIA, no Impact on End of Seaon

Preseason
At the end of the draft, we vote on the structure and balance of each line up in a similar way to what we do now:

Forward line (out of 15)
- 6 points; Aerial prowess (eg goals via contested marking, leading)
- 6 points; Ground level (eg goals via crumbing, goal sense)
- 3 points; Defensive pressure (tackling, speed)

Midfield (out of 20)
- 6 points; Inside skills (contested ball, clearances, tackling)
- 6 points; Outside skills (spread, speed, skill level)
- 6 points; Midfield depth (number & quality of players who can rotate through midfield)
- 2 points; Tagging (shut down ability)

Ruck (out of 10)
- 4 points; Tap work (hit outs to advantage in all ruck contests)
- 4 points; Around the ground (marking, pushing forward, dropping back)
- 2 points; Ruck cover (secondary ruckman)

Defence (out of 15)
- 6 points; Aerial prowess (marking contests, spoils, intercept marks)
- 6 points; Ground level (shut down skills)
- 3 points; Rebound (run and carry, kicking penetration)

This voting should be less about predictions of how teams will perform in the season ahead (too subjective). It should be more how they are rated at that point in time. All players vote on each team and each team gets a score out of 60. This gives us a ranking from 1st to 18th on the balance and structure of each line up.

I mentioned this previously but I think the 'prize' on offer should be a quotient that your final post season total is multiplied by. Eg 0.01 difference between each placing, 1.09 for the winner, 0.92 for the lowest ranked player.

OPTION3 - Previous Judging CRITERIA, with Impact on End of Seaon

The Impact on end of season we can debate - but arguably could simply be the 'structure' score out of 15 applied.
Or we can massage the details a bit - I would be taking suggestions.
If you vote Option 3 - please provide suggestions.

OPTION4 - Carls Proposed CRITERIA, with Impact on End of Seaon
Car'ls proposal including the flow on affect to the end of season.
(though I won't be rewarding just goals - ever).

Kristof
Drugs Are Bad Mackay?
hdecure
Bacon8
Footypie32
FAITH
Stripple
Danoz
AdelaideFan14
hendo8888
roo2macca
Freddy Bassett
BACCS
deaneus
spexau
Danger in Texas

hendo8888
spexau
AdelaideFan14

Boys - just wanted to be clear - you picked option 2.
Option 2 does NOT have the carry through to end of season impact that Carl was angling for.
That is Option 4. (yes I realise a tad confusing).

If you preferred Option 4, Carls method INCLUDING end of season impact -> please clarify in a post below. It could be the difference in seeing it adopted...

hendo8888
spexau
AdelaideFan14

Boys - just wanted to be clear - you picked option 2.
Option 2 does NOT have the carry through to end of season impact that Carl was angling for.
That is Option 4. (yes I realise a tad confusing).

If you preferred Option 4, Carls method INCLUDING end of season impact -> please clarify in a post below. It could be the difference in seeing it adopted...

Sorry can you clarify. There's still end of year scoring, correct? But this is to see whether we want to compare how we think player drafted? And then the end of year stuff is based purely on player performance during the year?

I like the idea of ranking each team based on opinion but I also prefer to have the end of year results based on actual performance and not opinion. So if that's option 2 then that's what I'm sticking with :)

Sorry can you clarify. There's still end of year scoring, correct? But this is to see whether we want to compare how we think player drafted? And then the end of year stuff is based purely on player performance during the year?

I like the idea of ranking each team based on opinion but I also prefer to have the end of year results based on actual performance and not opinion. So if that's option 2 then that's what I'm sticking with :)

You've chosen the right option.

Option 2 was Carl's criteria - but not having the outcome provide any impact to end of season ratings.
Option 4 was Carl's criteria - INCLUDING the outcome having an impact to end of season ratings in the form of the structure

There's end of draft voting (this poll).
There will be end of season scoring (I'm backing my own view in based on lack of feedback and didn't want to bother with a poll).

If Option 4 gets up I'll need to include that in end of season scoring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I think we'll need to debate this one a bit - or even run another poll.

By strict options the winner seems to be Carls criteria + his suggested impact on the end of season rankings.

However, you can also say 9 people don't want the end of season impact. (greater than those who do).

So, I'll do a separate poll for 'judging criteria' and 'impact on end of season rankings'. Just to be very clear what people want in both circumstances.

Back