AFC Nations League

Remove this Banner Ad

Munga

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 2, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
It's just a matter of time, surely. It might have kicked off already if COVID didn't hit. UEFA NL has been a success. Then CONCACAF created a NL. CONMEBOL is stated to join the UEFA NL in two years time!

The idea is that these matches replace international friendlies and are more competitive for all involved, from juggernauts to minnows. Let's be honest, it's probably more about money at the top end.

With all these other confederations going ahead with NL, it won't leave many nations for us to play friendlies against, just CAF, OFC and other AFC anyway.

With 47 nations, the AFC could be split into three divisions of 16/16/15. Biennial promotion/relegation. UEFA also use their NL for other pathways to the European Championship and World Cup. With extra spots at the following World Cup, this could work well for the AFC for determining their extra spots. And work well for Australia if we somehow manage to butcher the next WC qualifcation stage!

I'd rather see this on a global scale (I know we have the WC), and have us play nations from outside the AFC. A global league every other year with promotion and relegation, that would be sweet. But it is what it is, or will be.

Are you a fan of Nations League? Would you prefer meaningful matches over friendlies, albeit against more AFC nations?

It's just a matter of time, surely. It might have kicked off already if COVID didn't hit. UEFA NL has been a success. Then CONCACAF created a NL. CONMEBOL is stated to join the UEFA NL in two years time!

The idea is that these matches replace international friendlies and are more competitive for all involved, from juggernauts to minnows. Let's be honest, it's probably more about money at the top end.

With all these other confederations going ahead with NL, it won't leave many nations for us to play friendlies against, just CAF, OFC and other AFC anyway.

With 47 nations, the AFC could be split into three divisions of 16/16/15. Biennial promotion/relegation. UEFA also use their NL for other pathways to the European Championship and World Cup. With extra spots at the following World Cup, this could work well for the AFC for determining their extra spots. And work well for Australia if we somehow manage to butcher the next WC qualifcation stage!

I'd rather see this on a global scale (I know we have the WC), and have us play nations from outside the AFC. A global league every other year with promotion and relegation, that would be sweet. But it is what it is, or will be.

Are you a fan of Nations League? Would you prefer meaningful matches over friendlies, albeit against more AFC nations?

We already have Asian Cup qualifiying, followed by Asian Cup, then AFC World Cup qualifying, followed by the WC. So there won't be any room for it.

Remember there's also the sub association tournaments (East Asian cup, ASEAN cup etc). We normally send youf or A League only based teams to these tournaments.

I don't see us not qualifying for 2026.

Japan
Sth Korea
Iran
Australia
Saudi Arabia
UAE
Iraq
China

I would say that's the best 8 teams in Asia.

The only "chances" of qualification outside that group are maybe Oman, Uzbekistan & Jordan. I really don't see a way we don't come in the top 8 of AFC.

We already have Asian Cup qualifiying, followed by Asian Cup, then AFC World Cup qualifying, followed by the WC. So there won't be any room for it.

Europe, North America and South America have the equivalent cups and comps too. They didn't have to find room for it because it replaces international friendlies, that's the whole idea.

It would be cool if the OFC joined as well, would greatly benefit NZ and probably the Solomon Islands too. All the minnows might find the long travel a bit much though.

Nations leagues are s**t. There are too many competitions these days which takes the shine off the really valuable and important tournaments (e.g. World Cups and Asian Cups etc.). National sides should have friendlies, they are a useful way to experiment with squads and players form not in the heat of a competition.

National sides should have friendlies, they are a useful way to experiment with squads and players form not in the heat of a competition.

Agree. Usually by now we'd be scheduling friendlies against nations similar to who we'll be playing at the World Cup... but the best nations are too busy playing Nations Leagues.

Who else would be available for friendlies going forward? OFC aren't challenging enough for us. AFC we already know what we're going to get playing them. That only leaves CAF nations. All our friendlies would probably be against African nations, you'd think that would get old eventually.

Only if it's split between West and East otherwise to much travel for pointless matches.

But it replaces friendlies, where they travel for real pointless matches. The South American teams will be travelling to play in Europe and vice versa, it's doable for them.

I'm not saying that I'm for or against it, just that it seems inevitable. Basically we're replacing mostly African friendlies with another Asian competition. There would have to be more coverage, more $$$, and some decent benefits for the minnow nations.

Agree. Usually by now we'd be scheduling friendlies against nations similar to who we'll be playing at the World Cup... but the best nations are too busy playing Nations Leagues.

Who else would be available for friendlies going forward? OFC aren't challenging enough for us. AFC we already know what we're going to get playing them. That only leaves CAF nations. All our friendlies would probably be against African nations, you'd think that would get old eventually.

But it replaces friendlies, where they travel for real pointless matches. The South American teams will be travelling to play in Europe and vice versa, it's doable for them.

I'm not saying that I'm for or against it, just that it seems inevitable. Basically we're replacing mostly African friendlies with another Asian competition. There would have to be more coverage, more $$$, and some decent benefits for the minnow nations.
If every confederation ends up with nation leagues like Europe it might as well be the end of friendlies as we know them. We’ll probably go back to doing series matches like cricket and rugby. because playing nations outside your confederations apart from World Cup finals will be a rarity.

and I’m not against the idea either btw I think the term friendly doesn’t have any meaning anymore. More meaningful internationals is the way to go I say.

A Nations league is better than meaningless friendlies like what we are seeing right now with the UEFA Nations League. An AFC Nations League could invite OFC nations to participate too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back