2023/24 AFC Club Competitions Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Now that we have our clubs playing in two continental competitions I decided to just have one thread for both the AFC Champions League and the AFC Cup.

AFC Champions league 2023/24 draw:

AFCCL.jpg

AFC Cup 2023/24 draw:

AFCCUP.jpg

*Melbourne City Champions League Fixture:

20/9 Melbourne City V Ventforet Kofu, 8:00pm EST, AAMI Park, Live on Paramount plus
4/10 Zhejianc FC V Melbourne City, 11:00pm ESDT, Huzhu Olympic Stadium, Live on Paramount plus
25/10 Buriram United V Melbourne City, 9:00pm EST, Chang Arena, Live on Paramount plus
8/11 Melbourne City V Buriram United, 8:00pm ESDT, AAMI Park, Live on Paramount plus
29/11 Ventforet Kofu V Melbourne City, 9:00pm ESDT, Japan National Stadium, Live on Paramount plus
12/12 Melbourne City V Zhejianc FC, 8:00pm ESDT, Ikon Park, Live on Paramount plus

**Central Coast Mariners AFC Cup Fixture:

20/9 Terengganu FC V Central Coast Mariners, 10:00pm EST, Sultan Mizan Zainal Abidin Stadium, Live on 10 Play
4/10 Central Coast Mariners V Stallion Laguna FC, ESDT, Industree Group Stadium, Live on 10 Play
26/10 Central Coast Mariners V Bali United, 7:00pm ESDT, Industree Group Stadium, Live on 10 Play
8/11 Bali United V Central Coast Mariners, 10:00pm ESDT, Kapten I Wayan Dipta Stadium, Live on 10 Play
29/11 Central Coast Mariners V Terengganu FC, 7:00pm ESDT, Industree Group Stadium, Live on 10 Play
13/12 Stallion Laguna FC V Central Coast Mariners, 10:00pm ESDT, Binan Football Stadium, Live on 10 Play

***Macarthur FC AFC Cup Fixture:

21/9 Shan United V Macarthur FC, 10:00pm EST, Thuwunna Stadium, Live on 10 Play
5/9 Macarthur FC V Cebu, 7:00pm ESDT, Campbelltown Stadium, Live on 10 Play
26/10 Phnom Penh Crown V Macarthur FC, 10:00pm, ESDT RSN Stadium, Live on 10 Play
9/11 Macarthur FC V Phnom Penh Crown, 7:00pm, ESDT Campbelltown Stadium, Live on 10 Play
30/11 Macarthur FC V Shan United, 7:00pm ESDT, Campbelltown Stadium, Live on 10 Play
14/12 Cebu V Macarthur FC, 10:00pm ESDT, Rizai Mermorial Stadium, Live on 10 Play

* Melbourne City qualified for Champions league by winning the Premiers Plate
**Central Coast qualified for AFC Cup by winning the Grand Final and being Champions
*** Macarthur FC qualified for AFC Cup by winning 2022 Australia Cup

Tell you what, the China abandoning football and the changed numbers in the ACL make it look a hell of a lot easier to progress than it ever has before. As I said in the A-League thread, City shouldn't be eeking out results, they should be favourites to go through.

Seems like it might get increasingly brutal for all the eastern teams against the Saudi's... but I guess the money never made the Chinese teams invincible.

I don't know how the AFC Cup works going forward, especially with an odd number of groups, but the Mariners could be racking up double figures against a couple of those opponents.

Tell you what, the China abandoning football and the changed numbers in the ACL make it look a hell of a lot easier to progress than it ever has before. As I said in the A-League thread, City shouldn't be eeking out results, they should be favourites to go through.

Seems like it might get increasingly brutal for all the eastern teams against the Saudi's... but I guess the money never made the Chinese teams invincible.

I don't know how the AFC Cup works going forward, especially with an odd number of groups, but the Mariners could be racking up double figures against a couple of those opponents.

Hopefully both the Mariners and Macarthur will be smashing the AFC Cup in and sending a message to the AFC that we don't belong in it our clubs belong in the Champions League. But my worry is that most likely they'll be sending youth teams out to play. Still no excuses to progress deep in the competition, especially the Mariners they should be setting their goals on winning it.

I think the group winners progress, plus the best second placed club of the three ASEAN groups.

Melbourne City v Ventforet Kofu (Japan 2nd Div)
Date: September 20, 2023
Kick-off: 8.00pm (AEST)
Venue: Melbourne Rectangular Stadium
Broadcast: Paramount+

Ventforet Kofu venture into the Asian Champions League from the second division in Japan after winning the Emperor’s Cup final last year – and the club from Yamanashi kick off their continental campaign with a clash against Melbourne City in Victoria on Wednesday night.

Kofu were relegated to the J2 League six years ago, but despite failing to earn promotion back into the Japanese top flight last season, defeated five J1 League clubs on the way to lifting the Emperor’s Cup. It was an incredible run for Ventforet decided by a winning penalty to 42-year-old Hideomi Yamamoto in a shootout victory over Sanfrecce.

Melbourne City v Ventforet Kofu (Japan 2nd Div)
Date: September 20, 2023
Kick-off: 8.00pm (AEST)
Venue: Melbourne Rectangular Stadium
Broadcast: Paramount+

Ventforet Kofu venture into the Asian Champions League from the second division in Japan after winning the Emperor’s Cup final last year – and the club from Yamanashi kick off their continental campaign with a clash against Melbourne City in Victoria on Wednesday night.

Kofu were relegated to the J2 League six years ago, but despite failing to earn promotion back into the Japanese top flight last season, defeated five J1 League clubs on the way to lifting the Emperor’s Cup. It was an incredible run for Ventforet decided by a winning penalty to 42-year-old Hideomi Yamamoto in a shootout victory over Sanfrecce.

So jealous of the Japanese setup with 60 professional teams in 3 divisions. I guess if we had their population density we could achieve something similar.

Just a reminder..

Melbourne City matches and all other Asian Champions League matches can be watched live on Paramount Plus

All CCM and Macarthur FC AFC Cup matches can be watched live and free on 10 play

Just a reminder..

Melbourne City matches and all other Asian Champions League matches can be watched live on Paramount Plus

All CCM and Macarthur FC AFC Cup matches can be watched live and free on 10 play

I've reactivated my subscription from it's slumber

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is this the equivalent of the Europa league in AFC?

It's going to be a joke of a comp. Any A-League team will blitz it if they actually try. Even the worst ones.
CCM lost to Terengganu 2 weeks ago who are 6th in the Malaysian league. Sydney FC couldn't get a win in the Champions League last season despite playing a team who finished 10th in the Vietnamese league.

We were down to 23rd in Asia for these tournaments using the coefficient. That was mostly due to Australian teams not playing the 2021 season (COVID) but even without it we'd be hovering around 10th-15th with the likes of Jordan, Malaysia and Vietnam.

There are some terrible teams that the Australian teams will flog because of the nature of how teams qualify for this cup but it's certainly not a fait accompli that they'll win the whole thing.

CCM lost to Terengganu 2 weeks ago who are 6th in the Malaysian league. Sydney FC couldn't get a win in the Champions League last season despite playing a team who finished 10th in the Vietnamese league.

We were down to 23rd in Asia for these tournaments using the coefficient. That was mostly due to Australian teams not playing the 2021 season (COVID) but even without it we'd be hovering around 10th-15th with the likes of Jordan, Malaysia and Vietnam.

There are some terrible teams that the Australian teams will flog because of the nature of how teams qualify for this cup but it's certainly not a fait accompli that they'll win the whole thing.

It'll depend on the schedule. Sometimes they give short turnarounds from 8 hour flight away trips. I can see A League teams fielding a mostly second string for that and dropping points here and there.

But if all teams fielded their best possible fit team they'll blitz them. Don't forget CCM are in pre season. And still racked up a 9-1 win. The AFC cup is a bit of a joke really.

It's going to be a joke of a comp. Any A-League team will blitz it if they actually try. Even the worst ones.
Its mainly a competition for developing nations i.e leagues/teams that ain't good enough to compete in the Champions League. Our clubs really shouldn't be in it to be honest. I think it's more a punishment by the AFC for us forfeiting the Champions league during COVID.

Its mainly a competition for developing nations i.e leagues/teams that ain't good enough to compete in the champions league. Our clubs really shouldn't be in it to be honest. I think it's more a punishment by the AFC for us forfeiting the Champions league during COVID.

But it looks like next season there will be a new competition according to Paul Williams on X.

Found this article also on the restructuring of the AFC club competitions beginning in 2024/25

Very interesting . Here's one nor behind a paywall.

24 team elite comp. 32 team CL 2 and 20 team CL Challenge.

Strange that they've gone with such odd numbers for each group stage. But better than whats currently on offer.

A League gets one slot in the ACL Elite for the Premiers, and Sydney are going to ACL2 as cup winners

Very interesting . Here's one nor behind a paywall.

24 team elite comp. 32 team CL 2 and 20 team CL Challenge.

Strange that they've gone with such odd numbers for each group stage. But better than whats currently on offer.

A League gets one slot in the ACL Elite for the Premiers, and Sydney are going to ACL2 as cup winners

One slot is ridiculous. If it were to be on merit it should be:

J-League 4 teams
K-League 4 teams
Saudi 3 teams
Qatar 2 teams
UAE 2 teams
A League 2 teams
China 2 teams
Iran 1 team
Kuwait 1 team
Thailand 1 team
Indonesia 1 team
Bahrain 1 team

32 team CL would then mostly be made up of teams from South East Asia plus a few A League teams etc. And finally the 20 team CL challenge would be for teams from under developed footballing nations like Nepal, Bangladesh, Taiwan, North Korea etc etc.

One slot is ridiculous. If it were to be on merit it should be:

J-League 4 teams
K-League 4 teams
Saudi 3 teams
Qatar 2 teams
UAE 2 teams
A League 2 teams
China 2 teams
Iran 1 team
Kuwait 1 team
Thailand 1 team
Indonesia 1 team
Bahrain 1 team

32 team CL would then mostly be made up of teams from South East Asia plus a few A League teams etc. And finally the 20 team CL challenge would be for teams from under developed footballing nations like Nepal, Bangladesh, Taiwan, North Korea etc etc.
It is based on merit. Performance in Asian competitions is how a coefficient is worked out.

Uzbekistan would get a team way before Bahrain and Kuwait too. Same with Malaysia before Indonesia.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back