Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 8 - Demons v Cats Sat May 4th 7:30pm AEST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Demons by a goal or less

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Demons by 7 - 20

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 30 44.1%
  • Demons by a lot

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

He roaming this year but did it rarely in previous years. The stats came from fox footy presenters doing post match analysis, I don't have access the them.

Was pretty obvious though watching the game that Ollie Henry was the number one target. Like blindingly obvious.
dude, Hawkins is and always will be Geelong's number 1 option. They may decide to kick it to Henry, but they're looking for Hawkins first.

dude, Hawkins is and always will be Geelong's number 1 option. They may decide to kick it to Henry, but they're looking for Hawkins first.
Unfortunately your coach probably has a higher and more up to date level of knowledge on this subject, as long as he's not on a bender. Geelong's forward line options became much more well spread from 2022 onwards. Your analysis fits 2021 though, so there's that. :thumbsu:

The good news is Clark has been brought in for more valuable minutes for his development. So now in the gameday thread we should have less complaining about other things, at the expense of his masterful Clark play by play commentary.

The good news is Clark has been brought in for more valuable minutes for his development. So now in the gameday thread we should have less complaining about other things, at the expense of his masterful Clark play by play commentary.
Comes in for Dangerfield = better than Dangerfield

I will not be accepting criticism of this valid and true fact at this time

O’Connor managed when he would seemingly have tagged petracca? Or is he no longer used in that role

O’Connor managed when he would seemingly have tagged petracca? Or is he no longer used in that role
It's actually pretty unusual for him to play tagger, he's almost always a defender who pushes up the wing. Might be Atkins if you're looking for an accountantable player. But also, look at our midfield, they're mostly defense first mids.

Guthrie didn't play inside mid last week but he's behind Parfitt, O'Connor and Bowes ? parfitt and o connor were average last week with bulk cba's. I mean what's O'Connor doing if he isn't doing a hard clamping job?

Guthrie didn't play inside mid last week but he's behind Parfitt, O'Connor and Bowes ? parfitt and o connor were average last week with bulk cba's. I mean what's O'Connor doing if he isn't doing a hard clamping job?

The week before that o’Connor had 16 in the slop while shadowing Neale who got plenty of ball but had no impact on the game whatsoever kicked a crucial goal against the Lions and played an excellent game. Parfitt has been among our best all season and Bowes has been excellent. Why is he demanding to be picked AHEAD of one of those guys? In the mix yes I agree. But at the expense of them no I don’t.

Disposal obsessed people won't understand this, but O'Connor's primary role is actually more of a defensive wingman/half back. Holmes is the attacking version. MOC's job is more along the lines of stopping the lightning counter attacks and out-the-backs, the likes of which Geelong destroyed Carlton with last week. He's an extremely hard worker, quick and is plugged into whatever selfless role that gets the best out of our attacking weapons.

He wasn't a good performer against Carlton but plenty of other games this season he has been. Likewise Parfitt.

Guthrie is named as a starting on baller this week, with Stewart returning to half back.

How are you so slow with so many of these things? You kind of pretend to have a good idea of players roles and output but are usually pretty wide of the mark.

The week before that o’Connor had 16 in the slop while shadowing Neale who got plenty of ball but had no impact on the game whatsoever kicked a crucial goal against the Lions and played an excellent game. Parfitt has been among our best all season and Bowes has been excellent. Why is he demanding to be picked AHEAD of one of those guys? In the mix yes I agree. But at the expense of them no I don’t.
No he hasn't. He hasn't been named once all season. Don't say comments without expecting to be held accountable for it.

BEST
Geelong:
Holmes, Dangerfield, Dempsey, Stewart, Cameron, Duncan
St Kilda: Wanganeen-Milera, Steele, Marshall, Membrey, Bonner, King

BEST
Adelaide:
Crouch, Dawson, Hinge, Laird, Worrell, O'Brien
Geelong:
Stewart, Miers, Dangerfield, Hawkins, Blicavs, Holmes

BEST
Hawthorn:
Worpel, Nash, Chol, Meek, Newcombe
Geelong:
Duncan, O.Henry, Bruhn, Holmes, Stewart, Hawkins

BEST
Western Bulldogs
: Liberatore, Bontempelli, Jones, Darcy, Treloar, Sanders
Geelong: Cameron, Miers, Stewart, Stanley, Stengle, Bowes,

BEST
Geelong:
Cameron, Holmes, Miers, Stengle, Bowes, Stewart
North Melbourne:
Sheezel, Xerri, Scott, Ford, Davies-Uniacke

BEST
Brisbane:
Zorko, Berry, Answerth, Wilmot, Dunkley, Lester
Geelong: Guthrie, Stengle, Holmes, Bruhn, Duncan, Dangerfield

BEST
Geelong:
Miers, Cameron, Holmes, Tuohy, C.Guthrie, Bruhn
Carlton: Cripps, McKay, Weitering, Acres, Walsh, Hewett

Stick to discussing this game folks. A swathe of posts have now been removed. Posts that were focusing on all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff… from personal squabbles, insults, quotes taken directly from the Geelong board (big no no) or bizarre deep dives into the future of Jhye Clark.

Melbourne vs Geelong. That’s the thread topic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stick to discussing this game folks. A swathe of posts have now been removed. Posts that were focusing on all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff… from personal squabbles, insults, quotes taken directly from the Geelong board (big no no) or bizarre deep dives into the future of Jhye Clark.

Melbourne vs Geelong. That’s the thread topic.
I apologise for my part in that.

Getting back on track: Guthrie into midfield hopefully counteracts the loss of Dangerfield somewhat. He's not the same type of player but knows how to find the footy and use it pretty well. His veteran know-how will help the players we are using in "burst mode" (60%-ish game time: Bruhn, Bowes etc). Ultimately I feel like we are due a good midfield game from Atkins too, replicating his stronger efforts from 2022/2023. Those two are critical to our chances this week.

I apologise for my part in that.

Getting back on track: Guthrie into midfield hopefully counteracts the loss of Dangerfield somewhat. He's not the same type of player but knows how to find the footy and use it pretty well. His veteran know-how will help the players we are using in "burst mode" (60%-ish game time: Bruhn, Bowes etc). Ultimately I feel like we are due a good midfield game from Atkins too, replicating his stronger efforts from 2022/2023. Those two are critical to our chances this week.

Agree, reckon a player like Guthrie is pretty important when it comes to having a bigger body in there up against the likes of Oliver/Viney/Trac. Reckon you could have even given Parfitt a run this week purely for some extra grunt given the midfield you’re going up against.

Agree, reckon a player like Guthrie is pretty important when it comes to having a bigger body in there up against the likes of Oliver/Viney/Trac. Reckon you could have even given Parfitt a run this week purely for some extra grunt given the midfield you’re going up against.
Yeah, my only thinking is that Parfitt looked jaded in the Blues game (missing tackles/fumbling) so needs a rest. And they might pull the trigger on Blicavs as more of an inside midfielder, along with Atkins. Between Guthrie, Blicavs and Atkins there would be solid enough size and grunt. Bruhn and Bowes somewhere in between. Clark being the junior midfielder who let's face it, will have a crack but probably get rag dolled.

The small red flag I have is that Blicavs and Atkins aren't in brilliant form this season. And Blicavs has been more of a wingman. But we have players that can cover that role.

I don't like Geelong's choice of who to manage this week. Don't like it at all. Feel it's not a week to be without Parf and O'Connor with Danger injured out also. Hopefully it doesn't matter but feel Demons have been given an opportunity.

I don't like Geelong's choice of who to manage this week. Don't like it at all. Feel it's not a week to be without Parf and O'Connor with Danger injured out also. Hopefully it doesn't matter but feel Demons have been given an opportunity.
Who would you have taken out, if anyone?

Parfitt and O'Connor weren't too sharp or full of energy last week so it basically makes sense for Atkins to come in and Guthrie to move to midfield.

Rohan in will just mean he's either an impact sub or Dempsey/Cameron are close to permanent attacking wingmen. Our other small forwards will keep getting involved between the arcs too; Hawkins, Rohan and Henry will anchor inside 50 a bit more.

I'm not too sure about Clark but at the same time it's a good opportunity for him. He may just come on as a late pressure sub like Atkins did last week.

No he hasn't. He hasn't been named once all season. Don't say comments without expecting to be held accountable for it.

BEST
Geelong:
Holmes, Dangerfield, Dempsey, Stewart, Cameron, Duncan
St Kilda: Wanganeen-Milera, Steele, Marshall, Membrey, Bonner, King

BEST
Adelaide:
Crouch, Dawson, Hinge, Laird, Worrell, O'Brien
Geelong: Stewart, Miers, Dangerfield, Hawkins, Blicavs, Holmes

BEST
Hawthorn:
Worpel, Nash, Chol, Meek, Newcombe
Geelong: Duncan, O.Henry, Bruhn, Holmes, Stewart, Hawkins

BEST
Western Bulldogs
: Liberatore, Bontempelli, Jones, Darcy, Treloar, Sanders
Geelong: Cameron, Miers, Stewart, Stanley, Stengle, Bowes,

BEST
Geelong:
Cameron, Holmes, Miers, Stengle, Bowes, Stewart
North Melbourne: Sheezel, Xerri, Scott, Ford, Davies-Uniacke

BEST
Brisbane:
Zorko, Berry, Answerth, Wilmot, Dunkley, Lester
Geelong: Guthrie, Stengle, Holmes, Bruhn, Duncan, Dangerfield

BEST
Geelong:
Miers, Cameron, Holmes, Tuohy, C.Guthrie, Bruhn
Carlton: Cripps, McKay, Weitering, Acres, Walsh, Hewett

Translation: I haven’t been watching.

No excuses for Melbourne

danster168 said:
Lol. even though we have a better young list than you guys....

danster168 said:
Jhye Clark should be playing regular football now. He can't even do it despite being physically well built, an early draft pick, in a poor midfield. He isn't afl standard.

danster168 said:
Umm, no Tom. You've kicked 12 goals in the last 7 games against Steven. He's pantsed you.

danster168 said:
So yeah May has owned him for 5 years.

danster168 said:
Jeremy Cameron as much as he's a gun has little presence. he's a roamer

danster168 said:
Guthrie didn't play inside mid last week but he's behind Parfitt, O'Connor and Bowes ?
danster168 said:
parfitt and o connor were average last week with bulk cba's.

I'm struggling to see how Melbourne beats Geelong.
I have given the Demons a loyalty tip.
Defending better than Carlton which is a given and not kicking like plebs like Carlton which is difficult.

This ridiculous sentiment from some that it would be a shock if we beat Geelong is stupid. We're every chance of beating them, it'll be a ripper game.

I wonder how many niche rabbit holes you can get down before the start of the game. Unfortunate you've derailed a thread with what's typically an intelligent and passionate mob in Melbourne supporters.

Disposal obsessed people won't understand this, but O'Connor's primary role is actually more of a defensive wingman/half back. Holmes is the attacking version. MOC's job is more along the lines of stopping the lightning counter attacks and out-the-backs, the likes of which Geelong destroyed Carlton with last week. He's an extremely hard worker, quick and is plugged into whatever selfless role that gets the best out of our attacking weapons.

He wasn't a good performer against Carlton but plenty of other games this season he has been. Likewise Parfitt.

So so true Mr Meow: and I'm the one that wasn't keen on Mark O'Connor playing in our very first game of season against the Saints because his preseason form was so ordinary but full credit to him as he's been great for us in every game bar his last and although the Carlton game was his poorest for year, he still did some excellent defence measures 'as you say' and played an important part in our win. I especially remember a couple of efforts when running back into backline to help 'kill' a couple of crucial marking contests, if he did not do that they could have quite easily ended up in Carlton goals, yet he receives 'no stats'. A selfless team-man is Mark and I'm so wrapped for him to turn around his ordinary preseason form. GO CATS

Back