Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 9 - Cats v Port Fri May 10th 7:10pm AEST (GMHBA)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Port by a goal or less

• Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • Port by 7 - 20

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 35 66.0%
  • Port by a lot

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Draw

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Who said anything about it being nasty? You’re the one complaining about it. They asked, he gave his thoughts about it, and you don’t like it.

It is kinda funny though tbh. I kinda like Scotty, I think he's a nice genuice bloke and a obviously a very very good coach. But he sure can have a whinge when things don't go Geelong's way. He's famous for it.

It is kinda funny though tbh. I kinda like Scotty, I think he's a nice genuice bloke and an obviously a very very good coach. But he sure can have a whinge when things don't go Geelong's way. He's famous for it.
It wasn’t a whinge though- and he very rarely has a whinge. Lots of you aren’t actually paying proper attention because you have a set against him. He is a most erudite commentator on the game. Listen and learn.

It wasn’t a whinge though- and he very rarely has a whinge. Lots of you aren’t actually paying proper attention because you have a set against him. He is a most erudite commentator on the game. Listen and learn.

Talk about not paying proper attention. A 'set against him' - LOL. Read my post again.

Talk about not paying proper attention. A 'set against him' - LOL. Read my post again.
Look I understand this isn’t a winnable argument from me- people have ingrained antipathy towards Scott. Any yep- I read your post and I’m not necessarily referring to you although I didn’t see it as a whinge - Scott pointed out the facts of how to interpret the rule! ( and yes port were better than us and deserved the win ).
I’d have thought it’s a reasonable point to make but people like Eskimo above, isn’t paying proper attention. Scott is a very thoughtful and intelligent student of the game and so one is dipping out if you don’t actually hear what he says without being clouded by inaccurate biases. ( and not referring to you).

Look I understand this isn’t a winnable argument from me- people have ingrained antipathy towards Scott. Any yep- I read your post and I’m not necessarily referring to you although I didn’t see it as a whinge - Scott pointed out the facts of how to interpret the rule! ( and yes port were better than us and deserved the win ).
I’d have thought it’s a reasonable point to make but people like Eskimo above, isn’t paying proper attention. Scott is a very thoughtful and intelligent student of the game and so one is dipping out if you don’t actually hear what he says without being clouded by inaccurate biases. ( and not referring to you).
Let it go. Let em hate.

Port torched us with their speed on the game. Bullied us at centre clearance and stoppages and cats didn’t have an answer until midway through the 2nd quarter. Game done by that time. Solid comeback, but too far back! JHF really good and set the tone with his physicality and clearance work. Good learnings for cats to take from this game.

I listened to it. It was highly narcissistic like usual but slightly better than last week. I'm studying body language at the moment and I notice that every time he compliments port Adelaide in the slightest he uses what we call self-soothing body language called 'adaptors' like wiping his hands on his knees and clasping at his elbows. Typical narcissistic stuff. He legitimately finds it difficult to compliment the opposition.
Interesting and good point of difference to analyze. You’re probably right , but straight after a game it’s a bit tough for all losing coaches to do the presser…. None of them probably do it well.

Hope you listened - Scott made a number of salient points in a clear and logical manner.
tell me what he means by Port are an emotional team when talking about how they dominated the first half. An emotional team? Makes no sense. He just couldn't say that they were beaten comprehensively in the first half.

He then waffles on about the umpires with his typical smugness only to say 'I'm not saying I'm right'. This is where his narcissism is on full display. He thinks he is the smartest man in the room and expects people to believe his humility when he says this. When in reality no-one is interpreting his 'I'm not saying I'm right' line as humility but infact his attempt at appearing humble.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think a lot of it comes from Scott generally being more honest than other coaches. Most other coaches know that if they say "rule x is poorly umpired or dumb or this person doesn't know manure from clay" it's going to create issues for them so they don't. Scott knows this, he just doesn't care. Journos know this and so push a little harder or ask more pointed questions of him.

We saw similar of Mick Malthouse towards the end of his coaching stint at Carlton. Some of what he was saying had merit, but it's easier to single out 1 amongst 18 when the other 17 are "mostly" toeing the party line. I've often said the biggest thing holding the standard of AFL back or causing the number of poor decisions that we see is the lack of constructive feedback given by coaches and AFL Media. For example, the AFL can't hide or ignore 18 coaches saying the umpiring this year has been a farce but can when it's only 1 speaking about a specific game.

Whilst I think that Scott makes more sense than Malthouse as a general rule, there are some similarities.

I listened to it. It was highly narcissistic like usual but slightly better than last week. I'm studying body language at the moment and I notice that every time he compliments port Adelaide in the slightest he uses what we call self-soothing body language called 'adaptors' like wiping his hands on his knees and clasping at his elbows. Typical narcissistic stuff. He legitimately finds it difficult to compliment the opposition.

Nunez

tell me what he means by Port are an emotional team when talking about how they dominated the first half. An emotional team? Makes no sense. He just couldn't say that they were beaten comprehensively in the first half.

He then waffles on about the umpires with his typical smugness only to say 'I'm not saying I'm right'. This is where his narcissism is on full display. He thinks he is the smartest man in the room and expects people to believe his humility when he says this. When in reality no-one is interpreting his 'I'm not saying I'm right' line as humility but infact his attempt at appearing humble.
He means that Port are a dangerous team to play after they've lost a game most expected them to win and against their cross town rivals. Adelaide and Perth are unique in the AFL landscape that the week leading up to a final a non follower would be excused for thinking there are only 2 teams in the AFL.

The following week, the massive overreaction, especially if there's a 1 sided match would have a non follower of AFL thinking that the losing side was a wooden spoon certainty. Port would've been hearing that all week, they have shown that they tend to respond to things like that and when Hinkley makes sweeping changes. As the game goes on and that effect dissipates The main difference between previous times and last night is that previously Port would've kicked 5.5 to quarter time and only been 2.5 goals up and subsequently lost the match.

The most successful coaches and teams are those that constantly improve themselves and reassess after a loss. Instead of just saying the opposition played well they look at what they could've done differently to prevent it as well. I acknowledge that other coaches are probably better at saving the latter for internally although my reading is more that he doesn't care enough to hide it.

For all MacLachlan's faults as CEO of the AFL, one thing he was very good at was controlling the message that was put out. He knew that controversies generally have a short shelf life unless both parties are responding. Hardwick and Scott both understand this and use it to their advantage. Hardwick's Mrs Hardwick routine was his way of saying to his players, "Yes I know we were hard done by and unfairly treated". He knows the AFL won't pull him up on it as it continues the issue and calls attention to it yet it allows him to get his message across to his players. Scott is trying to do something similar but is less subtle. He knows where the line is and deliberately stops just short of it. It allows him to get his message across without interference from the AFL.

For the most part the AFL let them get away with it because after a while the general public stop listening. By responding the AFL would continue the controversy and ensure more people know about it. By ignoring it they have people laughing at them or cast them as "village idiots".

Yet with every post you make on this forum you expect people to believe you’re correct.

He’s the coach across the history of the sport with the highest winning percentage, has two flags as a coach, played in two flags as a player with arguably the greatest modern team to exist, and when he speaks in depth about an issue you think he’s ’just having a whinge and refusing to give credit’ 😂😂😂

No I’m firmly in the Danster camp on this one……

So essentially when he said ‘JHF was just smashing us’ he was giving credit to….. Bjorn from ABBA? That guy who takes his helmet off and gets shot in the head in saving Private Ryan? Thomas Edison?

When he says that Port play on emotion, you don’t think it’s making the time honoured observation of some teams that, as other people like to put it in cliched terms, they ‘get on a roll’ or can come out with a point to prove?

No no I’m sure your dissection is far more accurate

Yet with every post you make on this forum you expect people to believe you’re correct.

He’s the coach across the history of the sport with the highest winning percentage, has two flags as a coach, played in two flags as a player with arguably the greatest modern team to exist, and when he speaks in depth about an issue you think he’s ’just having a whinge and refusing to give credit’ 😂😂😂

So essentially when he said ‘JHF was just smashing us’ he was giving credit to….. Bjorn from ABBA? That guy who takes his helmet off and gets shot in the head in saving Private Ryan? Thomas Edison?

When he says that Port play on emotion, you don’t think it’s making the time honoured observation of some teams that, as other people like to put it in cliched terms, they ‘get on a roll’ or can come out with a point to prove?

I am not sure which side I should be on. I think I need to hear from Meteoric Rise

where did I say he was a bad coach? go on show me.

No, the emotion thing made no sense. Tell me which top 8 teams are an emotional teams and which teams aren't an emotional team. Clearly it was his attempt to minimise their dominance.

why do you constantly defend him? I'm critical of Goodwin all the time. I'm critical of my own team all the time but for whatever reason you can't recognise it.

You got defensive 2 weeks ago when I said I thought the cats were overrated due to an easy fixture. literally 2 weeks late, I've been proven correct. You could just acknowledge that.

Back