Belco
Tuggers?
Ainslie
Eastlake
Molonglo
South Coast
Harman
Cooma

15 in 2nds is too much but this is how I think they will go.

I have no dramas with such players going back to their junior clubs, if they so wish. They should still have a choice in this matter though.
Everyone has a choice. If you want to play NEAFL you will be shopped around when not selected in the NEAFL team. If you just want to play for Ainslie/Eastlake only regardless of what level you are playing then you can commit to Division 1 and give up on playing NEAFL football. That's their choice.
I'm sure AFL players don't want to be playing for Werribee and teams like that but they choose to play AFL so that comes with the territory. This happens in every 2nd tier competition around the country.

Last edited:
1st Grade
Belco
Qbn
Tuggers
Ainslie
Eastlake
Gungahlin
Anu
Adfa
2nd Grade
Belco
Qbn
Tuggers
Ainslie
Eastlake
Gungahlin
Anu
Adfa
Goulburn
Yass
Coota
Molonglo
South Coast
Harman
Woden
3rd Grade
Belco
Tuggers?
Ainslie
Eastlake
Molonglo
South Coast
Harman
Cooma

My understanding is that Div 1 & 2 and Rising Stars will consist of only Ainslie, Belco, Eastlake, Gungahlin, Queanbeyan & Tuggeranong. All 3 grades play the same opposition on the same day at the same venue for every round of the season. I'm not sure how Marist rising stars fit into this.
The rest of the community teams will make up Div 3 & 4. How that works I don't know.

1st Grade
Belco
Qbn
Tuggers
Ainslie
Eastlake
Gungahlin
Anu
Adfa
2nd Grade
Belco
Qbn
Tuggers
Ainslie
Eastlake
Gungahlin
Anu
Adfa
Goulburn
Yass
Coota
Molonglo
South Coast
Harman
Woden
3rd Grade
Belco
Tuggers?
Ainslie
Eastlake
Molonglo
South Coast
Harman
Cooma

why does cooma stay in 3rd grade when yass goes up?

Just out of curiosity - if Ainslie sign a bloke for x amount per game will they still be paying him those weeks he is playing at Gungahlin or Tuggeranong? You would be pretty dirty if you played the majority of the year on the fringes of NEAFL selection but playing at Jets/Tuggeranong not getting paid as opposed to being on the fringes of NEAFL but playing at Ainslie and trousering $100/$150 a week.

Exactly. Where do these guys train, also? If they are being paid by Ainslie/Eastlake, why would the club let them go at risk of injury?

My understanding is that Div 1 & 2 and Rising Stars will consist of only Ainslie, Belco, Eastlake, Gungahlin, Queanbeyan & Tuggeranong. All 3 grades play the same opposition on the same day at the same venue for every round of the season. I'm not sure how Marist rising stars fit into this.
The rest of the community teams will make up Div 3 & 4. How that works I don't know.
Hey magpies don't come around here making sense you want fit in at all. lol

Well obviously i'm completely wrong, I hadn't heard anything but that makes sense 12 magpies.
Novi no one said you were wrong I just wanted to know what your reasoning was for this because we all have different ideas. It's not a right or wrong case senario. Open discussion is not a bad thing that's what I like about this feed for ages. We all have different ideas and are not affraid to let them out.

Maybe we should be the organises of the league!!!!

Novi no one said you were wrong I just wanted to know what your reasoning was for this because we all have different ideas. It's not a right or wrong case senario. Open discussion is not a bad thing that's what I like about this feed for ages. We all have different ideas and are not affraid to let them out.

Maybe we should be the organises of the league!!!!
I think that Yass have been successful for years, Cooma have not. I know they rely on their Canberra players too, so depends what they are doing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone has a choice. If you want to play NEAFL you will be shopped around when not selected in the NEAFL team. If you just want to play for Ainslie/Eastlake only regardless of what level you are playing then you can commit to Division 1 and give up on playing NEAFL football. That's their choice.
I'm sure AFL players don't want to be playing for Werribee and teams like that but they choose to play AFL so that comes with the territory. This happens in every 2nd tier competition around the country.

How ridiculous. Weren't you the same bloke saying how everyone should be striving to play at the highest level?

What do you see the end game at Gungahlin being? Players being loaned to you via this draft system just magically deciding one day that "Hey, I think I'm going to just play for Gungahlin now", and then the draft business will be done with? Seems highly unrealistic. What is going to happen when Ainslie and Eastlake's time in the NEAFL ends? Where will your players come from? Are the blokes who combined for 4 wins in Div 2 & 3 last season going to somehow be able to cut it at a higher level? There's too much "this will work for the good of the competition" and not enough thought going into it from players perspective. Why isn't this "draft" taking players from all first division teams? Why are the Jets/Hawks the only teams in division 1 that are allowed to play NEAFL listed players?

I think that having the 6 sides as Div 1, Div 2 and Rising Stars and all playing at the same place on the same day is a good idea. Call it the "serious" league.

When Eastlake and Ainslie NEAFL contracts expire I assume Canberra will go back to having one team in the NEAFL. Those who want to play at that level can choose to. With the draft system I think if a NEAFL player can show a history with one of the particular clubs (over 100 games/family connection/one club player/etc) then that club has first dibs on them (it would be interesting to see how much loyalty a player has to a club if that club decides not to take him).

As for the rest of us, call it the "social" league (these are just names to distinguish between the two levels):
The teams left over are:
ADFA (two teams)
ANU (two teams)
Molongolo (two teams)
South Coast (two teams)
Harman (two teams)
Belconnen (maybe 2 teams now no NEAFL)
Ainslie (maybe 2 teams when NEAFL team goes)
Eastlake (maybe 2 teams when NEAFL team goes)
Tuggeranong
Woden
Cooma
Cootamundra
Yass
Golburn

Now you can break this up into 2 divisions of 9/10 teams however you like, but I suggest making the lower division 16 a side as a default with the option of 18 a side if both teams agree. This is just as I have heard lots of clubs struggle to get that full second team some weeks.
This will also allow for any of the teams in the "social" league with two teams to get up to the serious league if they want (provided they can get a rising stars team going). Obviously the two team clubs in the social league have to stay in separate divs but the lowest placed single club team in the higher div could have a play-off with the highest placed one club team from the lower div (it may be premier) for promotion/relegation. Also as mentioned I don't mind the idea of the Ainslie/Eastlake/Belco/Tuggers having a different name for the social league (but still have links to the parent clubs)

I think that having the 6 sides as Div 1, Div 2 and Rising Stars and all playing at the same place on the same day is a good idea. Call it the "serious" league.

When Eastlake and Ainslie NEAFL contracts expire I assume Canberra will go back to having one team in the NEAFL. Those who want to play at that level can choose to. With the draft system I think if a NEAFL player can show a history with one of the particular clubs (over 100 games/family connection/one club player/etc) then that club has first dibs on them (it would be interesting to see how much loyalty a player has to a club if that club decides not to take him).

As for the rest of us, call it the "social" league (these are just names to distinguish between the two levels):
The teams left over are:
ADFA (two teams)
ANU (two teams)
Molongolo (two teams)
South Coast (two teams)
Harman (two teams)
Belconnen (maybe 2 teams now no NEAFL)
Ainslie (maybe 2 teams when NEAFL team goes)
Eastlake (maybe 2 teams when NEAFL team goes)
Tuggeranong
Woden
Cooma
Cootamundra
Yass
Golburn

Now you can break this up into 2 divisions of 9/10 teams however you like, but I suggest making the lower division 16 a side as a default with the option of 18 a side if both teams agree. This is just as I have heard lots of clubs struggle to get that full second team some weeks.
This will also allow for any of the teams in the "social" league with two teams to get up to the serious league if they want (provided they can get a rising stars team going). Obviously the two team clubs in the social league have to stay in separate divs but the lowest placed single club team in the higher div could have a play-off with the highest placed one club team from the lower div (it may be premier) for promotion/relegation. Also as mentioned I don't mind the idea of the Ainslie/Eastlake/Belco/Tuggers having a different name for the social league (but still have links to the parent clubs)

Think maybe someone else mentioned it above, but what will happen when a rising star team has to play Marist?

I just had a look on aflcanberra.com and looking at the results/ladder it looked like tuggers couldn't get a rising stars team together (its showing they only played 4 games for the year). I'm not suggesting that Marist have to have anything to do with Tuggers but as far as playing on the same day as them, that could work.

If that's not the case then I'm not sure.

How ridiculous. Weren't you the same bloke saying how everyone should be striving to play at the highest level?
What is going to happen when Ainslie and Eastlake's time in the NEAFL ends? Where will your players come from? Are the blokes who combined for 4 wins in Div 2 & 3 last season going to somehow be able to cut it at a higher level? There's too much "this will work for the good of the competition" and not enough thought going into it from players perspective. Why isn't this "draft" taking players from all first division teams? Why are the Jets/Hawks the only teams in division 1 that are allowed to play NEAFL listed players?

One of the rumours going round was that all clubs including Ainslie and Eastlake would be involved with the draft, not just tuggers and jets.

This is going to create enemies but I think it needs tobe said. I love when players drop the whole thing whats best for the current players, to me I want to be able for my child to one day play in a competative comp not the broken one it is now. Personally and I say personally this is what is wrong at the moment. To many people in positions of power are making decisions that suit their own needs not the future needs of the clubs and the league. Nothing frustrates me more when a player doesnt give back to a club after their playing days.

The jets actually dont look too bad when you see their junior numbers coming through. This is where their players will come from in the future. They have the second largest junior number in Canberra.

I hate to say that I agree with 12 magpie, if you want to play to the highest level who you play for when not selected should not come into it. Your still part of the Neafl squad. It's just a different mind set they have to change. Ainslie and Eastlake aren't been penalised for staying up, both have picked up juniors from Tigers and Belco that have moved to them to be NEAFL contract players. Why should Ainslie and Eastlake div 1 team get the benefit only of NEAFL players.

What do you see the end game at Gungahlin being? Players being loaned to you via this draft system just magically deciding one day that "Hey, I think I'm going to just play for Gungahlin now", and then the draft business will be done with? Seems highly unrealistic. What is going to happen when Ainslie and Eastlake's time in the NEAFL ends? Where will your players come from? Are the blokes who combined for 4 wins in Div 2 & 3 last season going to somehow be able to cut it at a higher level? There's too much "this will work for the good of the competition" and not enough thought going into it from players perspective. Why isn't this "draft" taking players from all first division teams? Why are the Jets/Hawks the only teams in division 1 that are allowed to play NEAFL listed players?
Maybe you should read my post before blowing up. Read it again and you'll see all I'm trying to say is it seems in the future players wanting to play NEAFL football will have to accept playing for a different club if they aren't selected at NEAFL level.
How is it any different to a player playing for Belco for example. If they want to play NEAFL they will have to go to another club to do so.

I think for people to understand how this works they need to disassociate Ainslie/Eastlake NEAFL club with the Ainslie/Eastlake AFL Canberra clubs. They will no longer be associated in terms of players/coaches, only through name

Whats with the personal attack on Gungahlin? This is a league incentive to even up the competition. Surely as a football lover (not a selfish player) you'd want to see the highest division of Canberra football be competitive with more than just 4 clubs in it. I can promise you that there will be nothing happen here magically, its all going to come about via a s**t load of hard work.

Why are the Jets/Hawks the only teams in division 1 that are allowed to play NEAFL listed players?
They aren't according to what I've heard. So Ainslie can draft their precious kids who have been with the club since they were 6yo if they wish to.

It appears I owe the ACTAFL an apology !after being accosted at the door by football operations manager Mr Ebert it was cheerfully brought to my attention that the league does not wish to have there meetings and discussions posted on here so im sorry.Thankfully I NEVER gained access to the meeting( that never happened )so I cant get into any more strife by posting what I don't know.Now as I sat alone at a table at the bottom of the stairs and enjoyed an amber fluid pondering what could have been had I have not been so imformative about a meeting that did not happen. I manged to see quite a few of this forums users who also have a healthy appetite for posting so I thought it only rite that I give to them a friendly warning ,keep your identity to yourself or bear the wrath of the ACTAFL. On the lonely trip back to yass with my tail between my legs my mind started to wonder if I should even be involved as a sponsor of the three clubs in Actafl from NEAFL down to div 3 that I sponser for fear I mite I hear something and take to posting on here again. I guess ill have think really hard about that. Im now very comfortable with my decision to retire as a coach so theres the positive to come out of this.

It appears I owe the ACTAFL an apology !after being accosted at the door by football operations manager Mr Ebert it was cheerfully brought to my attention that the league does not wish to have there meetings and discussions posted on here so im sorry.Thankfully I NEVER gained access to the meeting( that never happened )so I cant get into any more strife by posting what I don't know.Now as I sat alone at a table at the bottom of the stairs and enjoyed an amber fluid pondering what could have been had I have not been so imformative about a meeting that did not happen. I manged to see quite a few of this forums users who also have a healthy appetite for posting so I thought it only rite that I give to them a friendly warning ,keep your identity to yourself or bear the wrath of the ACTAFL. On the lonely trip back to yass with my tail between my legs my mind started to wonder if I should even be involved as a sponsor of the three clubs in Actafl from NEAFL down to div 3 that I sponser for fear I mite I hear something and take to posting on here again. I guess ill have think really hard about that. Im now very comfortable with my decision to retire as a coach so theres the positive to come out of this.
Wow never knew actafl was the iron curtain now we know. We wouldn't want to have a different opinion now would we. So the meeting didn't happen yet again everyone is left in limbo land

Maybe they cancelled the meeting so they could read all the great ideas on this informative forum and maybe, just maybe put some into action!:D

Do they have a date that all of this will be sorted?

If they do the restructure stated above will ANU and ADFA enjoy moving back grades or will that not be what they want? Essentially they will be dropping back two grades each...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back