Rumour AFL Players Faking Mental Illnesses To Avoid Drug Tests?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmmm unconfirmed rumours from unknown source about players from an unnamed club that can never be disclosed

Perhaps those getting offended (including Garry Lyon) may want to wait for something concrete before venting

If they want to report this mental illness to asada, it should be like applying for an exemption. Should be required to come with a statement from a licensed psychologist and renewed every 3 months.

I don't even know why players are tested for recreational drugs. It's a right of passage for young people.As long as it's not performance enhancing who cares what they do in their personal life.

Probably not performance enhancing, but more performance effective. I don’t really care what they get up to either in their own life but taking drugs is just idiotic, proof is there that it destroys lives.

Hahaha waaaait, let me get this straight.

Gary Lyon is angry that players are using mental illness as a way to get out of something?

Isn't this the guy who rooted his best friends' wife, got found out, then said he was depressed so people couldn't call him a campaigner?

Wowee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting article to pop up today on Foxsports.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...m/news-story/40760ec9506dc087e57be2f29b3b7565

If true, its an absolute disgrace. It makes a mockery of people who are genuinely suffering mental health issues. Sixteen players at one club shows that its either a group of players who have banded together and shared the loophole with each other, or the club itself has alerted them. Either way as they say, if you have nothing to hide then.... Clearly they do if they have to resort to faking a mental health issue to avoid a test.

I don't care if its my club, the AFL needs to come out and publicly name this club involved. Faking mental illness to avoid a drug test is no laughing matter. Especially after the Essendon saga, the AFL needs to come out as mass drug test the whole club involved to be sure. Avoiding drug tests generally counts as one strike as the rules state, should be no different here. And make the players donate to mental health organizations seeing they clearly think mental health is an issue to play games with.

That being said, it is a pretty weak rumor and a couple of things do not line up. But none the less, the talk is out there.

I can name a few current and former players that played the mental health card just to evoke sympathy

Campaigners!

No team has been named, as always. Given the magnitude of it, I feel its only right for them to be named. And an explanation given. I think that club owes its own fans to come clean.
The clubs are kept completely in the dark re drug issues involving their players. I daresay it would be exactly the same re which players are playing the mental health card. So hardly the club’s fault. Bit hard for the club to give an explanation when they are routinely excluded from any information. Article quotes Kennett and McGuire complaining about the secrecy and anonymity re the drugs process.

Hahaha waaaait, let me get this straight.

Gary Lyon is angry that players are using mental illness as a way to get out of something?

Isn't this the guy who rooted his best friends' wife, got found out, then said he was depressed so people couldn't call him a campaigner?

Wowee.

LOL I did think he was being somewhat hypocritical

The clubs are kept completely in the dark re drug issues involving their players. I daresay it would be exactly the same re which players are playing the mental health card. So hardly the club’s fault. Bit hard for the club to give an explanation when they are routinely excluded from any information. Article quotes Kennett and McGuire complaining about the secrecy and anonymity re the drugs process.

Yep clubs are incredibly frustrated with the process and are completely in the dark about it (officially anyway).

Back in the day, there was a strong rumour that Swanny had discovered the mental health loophole and used it to good effect. Pretty sure it was in the news for a while before being swept under the carpet. Its just a rumour but where theres smoke theres fire with this one. This has all the markings of a staged call out - Thommo yesterday, 2 club presidents quoted in an article today. Someone from a club found something out unofficially, is pissed and wants it brought out in the open to put some pressure on the afl. Thommo hates the afl so wouldnt have taken much to get him involved

I'll say the Roos

Yep clubs are incredibly frustrated with the process and are completely in the dark about it (officially anyway).

Back in the day, there was a strong rumour that Swanny had discovered the mental health loophole and used it to good effect. Pretty sure it was in the news for a while before being swept under the carpet. Its just a rumour but where theres smoke theres fire with this one. This has all the markings of a staged call out - Thommo yesterday, 2 club presidents quoted in an article today. Someone from a club found something out unofficially, is pissed and wants it brought out in the open to put some pressure on the afl. Thommo hates the afl so wouldnt have taken much to get him involved
Hope it’s not my club. Although if it was, I daresay Slobbo would have outed us by now. Perhaps he’s holding off until a week before the season begins to ensure maximum detrimental effect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back