Rumour AFL to buy / take control of regional AFL venue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Irrespective of what those on the mainland think, it's ultimately up to the people of Tasmania to decide. After all they will be paying for about 60% of the all up cost of the proposed facility. To give some perspective as to what Tasmanians are being demanded to do, please consider ... There are 530,000 people in Tassie, while there are 6,930,000 people in Victoria (roughly 13 times as many people). The cost of Tassie taxpayers contributing $400 million toward construction of a stadium to them would be the equivalent of convincing Victorian tax payers to shell out $5.2 billion to rebuild the MCG. When you think about it in those terms, you can understand the resistance by many and reticence of others over there. As I said, it's not for us to decide, only they can.🤔

As I had stated in an earlier post. If the Tassie venture doesn't get off the ground then clubs such as North Melbourne and Hawthorn will no doubt renegotiate their deals with Tourism Tasmania. It is further likely that the Tassie government would choose the more popular and politically sellable option (from the Tasmanians perspective) of a full upgrade of York Park and a more modest upgrade to Blundstone Arena. On the positive side of such an outcome, the AFL would then not need to consider either purchasing or leasing another Victorian stadium. 👍
We know all this.

Tassie have a bad habit of protesting every forward thinking idea, or any possibility of change.

They are notorious for shooting themselves in the foot.

Looks like they will do it again.

This is from 2013. AFL owns Docklands these days so it's likely changed but what a shitty deal those teams found themselves caught up in.

Dogs actually agreed to the offer. But the AFL said no.

A few years later they ripped North from Ballarat for the Dogs. With labor's backing on ground works to what it currently is (with further work to be done)

Having said that i’m not sure I would want Ballarat shared if it was Mars being considered for AFL control.

I wish the Dogs never left WO. I wish it could be used with some more seats. Real unfortunate.

Putting clubs aside, I’d be stoked if regional games were more of a thing.

If Ballarat got a game every 2nd round (host splitting between Dogs & North, with a couple throw in with Hawthorn to replace Launceston) - add in Gather Round regional games, 4-5 Launceston games, the NT & Nth Queensland games - it’s a wide spread opportunity for more people to actively be involved in the sport.

10 games in Ballarat
5 Launceston
3 regional SA
4-5 NT & Nth QLD
Just leaves WA which will be difficult when neither Freo or WC will want to share - but hopefully Freo might play regionally at some stage.

Catching a train up there, enjoying a pub lunch and then strolling through the lovely streets of Rat City to Mars Stadium would be quite lovely.

Absolutely spifflicating myself on schooners during the match, followed by a stumble to the train station and sleeping the whole way back to Melbourne also quite lovely.
Just make sure you dress for all 4 seasons!

I’d love to see an AFL purpose built stadium built in Albury or Wodonga. You’ve got a heap of towns along the Murray on both sides of the border that are footy mad.

The train line from Melbourne to Sydney would also help get more fans to the game.

Good for the country economy through footy tourism- accommodation, restaurants, bars, cafes etc would all benefit.

Potentially you could have a local side too if the AFL is keen to expand or otherwise lower capacity drawing games could be played there. Eg Saints or North vs Tassie / GWS / Freo. Plus AFLW?

Albury already has an airport taking flights from Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane & Gold Coast.

Build it and they shall come!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’d love to see an AFL purpose built stadium built in Albury or Wodonga. You’ve got a heap of towns along the Murray on both sides of the border that are footy mad.

The train line from Melbourne to Sydney would also help get more fans to the game.

Good for the country economy through footy tourism- accommodation, restaurants, bars, cafes etc would all benefit.

Potentially you could have a local side too if the AFL is keen to expand or otherwise lower capacity drawing games could be played there. Eg Saints or North vs Tassie / GWS / Freo. Plus AFLW?

Albury already has an airport taking flights from Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane & Gold Coast.

Build it and they shall come!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Love that idea. And would love it even better if the Giants had it as a secondary venue as opposed to Canberra which could have its own team in 10-12 years time.

Love that idea. And would love it even better if the Giants had it as a secondary venue as opposed to Canberra which could have its own team in 10-12 years time.

Given that GWS signed a 10 year deal with Canberra which expires in 2032, that timeline definitely works.

Given that GWS signed a 10 year deal with Canberra which expires in 2032, that timeline definitely works.
What would be the chances of the AFL actually doing this though? I wouldn’t imagine all that high? Would need one of the twin cities state governments to fund a fair chunk of it you’d imagine.

What would be the chances of the AFL actually doing this though? I wouldn’t imagine all that high? Would need one of the twin cities state governments to fund a fair chunk of it you’d imagine.

agree, I have some degree of doubts.
The GWS Canberra deal provies them with surety for a period, and gives the AFL scheduling options during the Sydney Easter show, whilst also acknowledging that GWS might not be ready for 11 homes games in Sydney yet, so the AFL can kick that can down the road.

The issue with regional isn't crowds, I think to a degree that part is fine, it's corporate support.
Unless someone is willing to foot the bill, whether that be corporate sponsorship or government, then it's unlikely to happen.
the AFL, and the less self sufficient clubs will always follow the money.

agree, I have some degree of doubts.
The GWS Canberra deal provies them with surety for a period, and gives the AFL scheduling options during the Sydney Easter show, whilst also acknowledging that GWS might not be ready for 11 homes games in Sydney yet, so the AFL can kick that can down the road.

The issue with regional isn't crowds, I think to a degree that part is fine, it's corporate support.
Unless someone is willing to foot the bill, whether that be corporate sponsorship or government, then it's unlikely to happen.
the AFL, and the less self sufficient clubs will always follow the money.
Corporate support from local community businesses? Well that might be hard.

I can’t think of any businesses with huge financial clout that are up that way?

Uncle Toby’s maybe?

Irrespective of what those on the mainland think, it's ultimately up to the people of Tasmania to decide. After all they will be paying for about 60% of the all up cost of the proposed facility. To give some perspective as to what Tasmanians are being demanded to do, please consider ... There are 530,000 people in Tassie, while there are 6,930,000 people in Victoria (roughly 13 times as many people). The cost of Tassie taxpayers contributing $400 million toward construction of a stadium to them would be the equivalent of convincing Victorian tax payers to shell out $5.2 billion to rebuild the MCG. When you think about it in those terms, you can understand the resistance by many and reticence of others over there. As I said, it's not for us to decide, only they can.🤔

As I had stated in an earlier post. If the Tassie venture doesn't get off the ground then clubs such as North Melbourne and Hawthorn will no doubt renegotiate their deals with Tourism Tasmania. It is further likely that the Tassie government would choose the more popular and politically sellable option (from the Tasmanians perspective) of a full upgrade of York Park and a more modest upgrade to Blundstone Arena. On the positive side of such an outcome, the AFL would then not need to consider either purchasing or leasing another Victorian stadium. 👍
Yep, agree.

Expecting one family to fork out $400m is just ludicrous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guess I was a younger man back in those days and that walk was easy.

Guess you're right.

Oh well, got a soft spot for old Princes Park. First venue I saw an AFL game in Vic

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I like it as well - but the residents around there won't tolerate regular games. It's a perfect venue for smaller crowds otherwise.

Guess I was a younger man back in those days and that walk was easy.

Guess you're right.

Oh well, got a soft spot for old Princes Park. First venue I saw an AFL game in Vic

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Can't stand Princes Park. It makes absolutely no sense for the AFL to push so many games out there over the years - a terrible venue to get to. They are still doing this by bizarrely making the home of AFLW.

The only logical reason it the AFL's long history of giving Carlton a leg up financially.

The AFL should have looked at redeveloping Punt Road Oval as the Home of Women's Football. Make it a 30-seat stadium. They could even keep the small ground dimensions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back