Review AFL R7 - vs Sydney @ The SCG - Saturday July 18th 4:35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Rather to see Brodie to get opportunity inside over Miles.

Brodie definitely has the higher ceiling and long term-benefits to our list but I was just thinking it would have been handy last night to have another experienced head rotating through the midfield?

I don't think there is too much wrong with the midfield. Unfortunately, it starts with Witts and he was very ordinary to say the least. Fort beat him the last week. Fort - the delist material. I really don't understand why he plays when not fit (I hope that's the case). And if we want to play Fiorini it has to be inside. On the wing he was incredibly slow. Sharp on the wing or refreshed Powell for me. Corbett replacing Macpherson. He will be a good marking option on the wings and forward and brings pressure too.
Not referring too much to the personnel, but whatever the midfield strategy or planning is. We dominated clearances against Adelaide and Freo, and getting first use of the ball is always a critical part to winning footy. Conversely we got soundly beaten in clearances against Geelong (crap ruck), and Melbourne (top2 ruck) and we lost. That is a really small sample, but shows that it wasn't as big a weighting on the ruck part of the game, but the midfield setup, mindset, matchups, aggressiveness or positioning or whatever it is...we lost that key part of the game. That's my opinion on our issue, and challenge ahead.

We go up against either a nonruck or Sinclair (average ruck) this week, so it's going to be important we get the midfield improved. Another huge opportunity this week.

Lets not forget we had one of our best wins in 2018 against this mob at the SCG, and Will Brodie starred in that game. It was a while ago I know, but it was a massive come from behind win that I remember. Regardless, Josh Kennedy, Parker, Heeney usually get a hold of us and we don't usually do that well with negating star players. Big week, lets get a big win!

Brodie definitely has the higher ceiling and long term-benefits to our list but I was just thinking it would have been handy last night to have another experienced head rotating through the midfield?
I feel Brodie gets the opportunity once we come back home. Yesterday, for me beside Witts performance another negative for midfield was playing Fiorini on the outside and midfielders not able to shark Gawn hit outs. So many times Oliver just run through center and pick up the ball. A bit surprised Miller did not play more on Viney/Oliver. Anderson does need 1-2 game break to refresh. I have not re-watched the game so I may be way off.

This is not a week to rest players. Must play best 22 available. The likes of Witts/Anderson can be allowed to not train in order to freshen up.
This is the biggest game for our club for well over a year.
If and when we get a win this week and come home we can look at doing some rotations.

This week is the big one.

Hard to fault the forward line the last 2 weeks given the lack of inside 50's the last 2 weeks (28 and 35).
And the defense (apart from the howling turnovers) are doing pretty well given the amount of ball heading in there.

Mids just need to play as well as they can to get more ball forward, especially Weller and Swallow. Hard to ask Touk and Greenwood to do much more.

Got a chance this week since they should not have a big centre square advantage.

Does Sydney have anyone who can keep Rankine quiet? If not, I think we're going to see another special performance from Izzy!

Our mids needs to get it together, though. This season will slip away very quickly if Swallow and co don't pick their game up. Yes we're missing Rowell but we need to be adaptable and deal with injuries throughout the course of the season.

Hard to fault the forward line the last 2 weeks given the lack of inside 50's the last 2 weeks (28 and 35).
And the defense (apart from the howling turnovers) are doing pretty well given the amount of ball heading in there.

Mids just need to play as well as they can to get more ball forward, especially Weller and Swallow. Hard to ask Touk and Greenwood to do much more.

Got a chance this week since they should not have a big centre square advantage.
Yeah, Greenwood is exceeding my expectations really and Touk is having a career year. Ellis is also as advertised. But all other mids are seriously struggling. Need to up their game.

Does Sydney have anyone who can keep Rankine quiet? If not, I think we're going to see another special performance from Izzy!

Our mids needs to get it together, though. This season will slip away very quickly if Swallow and co don't pick their game up. Yes we're missing Rowell but we need to be adaptable and deal with injuries throughout the course of the season.
IF Sydney get Brand back next week they might play Rampe on him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heeney out too - if we don't win it now then that would be disappointing

Eddie last second goal gets them in above us. Well deserved 103 is a fair effort. Aw well big win this week will get us back in

Remove this Banner Ad

Back