Game Day AFL Round 6 - Collingwood vs Essendon Matchday Discussion (ANZAC DAY)

Remove this Banner Ad

What an insane game of football but what a delight to witness it as well. The first quarter was insipid, heartless and the team was completely run off its legs and was using the ball poorly. I must admit that like many others I thought we were gone after Essendon were 37 points in front!

The second quarter would have to be one of my favourite quarters of footy that I've ever witnessed. I was literally in a state of shock and excitement at the same time. I couldn't believe how well we responded after Essendon's six goal head start. The team spirit of the Collingwood boys could never be doubted whatsoever. Pendles, Swan and Sidebottom were instrumental in our fightback in the second quarter.

Dane Swan was clearly the standout in this match and deserved the ANZAC Day Medal in the end for his performance. Absolutely fantastic to see him silence the critics who doubted his early performances of the season. Well-played champ and great goals as well! :D

For the first time in about two years I'm genuinely loving football this year, which I didn't think would occur in the off-season after having low expectations on the side. This young side continues to develop and emerge nicely and while we still display moments of inconsistency and insipidness you can never write off these boys at the same time. I think the fact that many of us have re-evaluated our expectations has made this season much enjoyable for the fans and the players as well.

I'm just so proud of the way we played yesterday after quarter time. We ran Essendon off their feet, we laid so many good tackles and our defence held up beautifully with the likes of Frost, Toovey and Maxwell all playing their roles very well.

I hope the injuries of Fasolo and Young aren't too serious! If both boys do miss next week's match against Carlton, at least we will have plenty of players to choose from in the VFL. This weekend's VFL match should make for interesting viewing especially with spots up for grabs next week.

Overall a fantastic day with beautiful sunny weather, honouring those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our great country and seeing the Mighty Pies crush the Bombers after quarter time.

BRING ON CARLTON!

Am I correct in hearing Bomber Thompson post match presser saying they hadn't trained in 4 weeks?? Laughable excuse that demeaned what I thought was a hard fought loss to a clearly better side on the day.

Yet it always happens? Freo, Sydney and Carlton last year, Sydney, Geelong and Essendon so far this year? The slow starts have been a regular recurrence and its extremely frustrating.
its also odd... we came out and pumped north in the first and got a good lead on Richmond in the first so its seems to just happen sometimes, they come out switched off...

its also odd... we came out and pumped north in the first and got a good lead on Richmond in the first so its seems to just happen sometimes, they come out switched off...
Football is SUCH a momentum game nowadays, just look at it slightly different - Essendon arguably got some very debatable frees that directly impacted on the scoreboard for them and they capitalized with straight kicking whilst our forays forward were unrewarded with goals. That's a 6 goal turnaround but realistically cut that in half and its an 18 point deficit.

Not saying we didn't start badly but circumstances conspired to make it look much worse than what it was.

See ya next week pies.
Always the only and biggest fixture on the AFL calendar.
Cheers for towelling them up.
Dane Swan,what can you say??!!:thumbsu:
You flatter yourself, it may have been that once but beating Collingwood Lite is ho hum these days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back