giskard

Draftee
Dec 6, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Vancouver - NHL
I hear the Rugby League fraternity is going to stage a Rugby League World cup for women.

If RL can do it why can't Aussie Rules? There are probably more women playing Aussie Rules than RL in the world.

It wouldn't be as one sided as you may think with all the Irish, English, American and Canadian's playing then there's Nauru, NZ and others....

This could finally be the international competition we've been looking for.

What do you think?

The final would probably be between Australia and Ireland. The exposure as a possible world sport would be amazing.
Play it after the AFLW season before the weather in Vic gets too cold to encourage the crowds. Games could be played as curtain raisers to AFL matches.
Then make a big deal of the final and play it a the Dome in Docklands.

There's still a pretty big gulf between Australia, Ireland, and the rest of the field. I say that even though Great Britain and Canada came pretty close to beating Ireland, and Fiji came within a hare's breath of knocking off Canada in IC17 (they played them to a draw in sloppy conditions, but for some bizarre reason the match was forced to go on until a golden point that the Canadians scored). New Zealand and Germany would be competitive but I don't know how close they'd be to the teams that had more experience in established international competition.

I hear the Rugby League fraternity is going to stage a Rugby League World cup for women.

If RL can do it why can't Aussie Rules? There are probably more women playing Aussie Rules than RL in the world.

It wouldn't be as one sided as you may think with all the Irish, English, American and Canadian's playing then there's Nauru, NZ and others....

What do you think?

The final would probably be between Australia and Ireland. The exposure as a possible world sport would be amazing.
Play it after the AFLW season before the weather in Vic gets too cold to encourage the crowds. Games could be played as curtain raisers to AFL matches.
I would say Finances and the will to do it. However AFL HQ has its hands full with getting the expanded AFLW Comp bedded down and now they are adding a AFL Tassie team to go to 19 mens teams eventually. Just to add it all starts and finishes with AFL HQ and their thinking- If we get a female CEO to replace Gil you never know. Never say never.
I do agree that it maybe possible eventually but in the meantime the 2024 AFL International Cup in Australia for Men and Women will have to suffice.

Rugby League as always focused on International Competition as well as their domestic comps in the men since 1908 - Australia (really Sydney and Brisbane) v England (really northern counties) and v New Zealand as well. Other countries are now playing the game and they have expanded their womens comps to be included as well.

NZRL was basically Auckland and Christchurch with a couple of outliers, NZ was almost 100% union until Graham Lowe took over Manly and matches were broadcast live over the new Sky satellite channels.
Yes I did a lot of research on NZ footy back in the day and came across NZ Rugbys efforts to keep RL out of NZ - Some of it not very correct at all to put it politely. The early recruits to RL had a bit of a hard time.

I would say Finances and the will to do it. However AFL HQ has its hands full with getting the expanded AFLW Comp bedded down and now they are adding a AFL Tassie team to go to 19 mens teams eventually. Just to add it all starts and finishes with AFL HQ and their thinking- If we get a female CEO to replace Gil you never know. Never say never.
I do agree that it maybe possible eventually but in the meantime the 2024 AFL International Cup in Australia for Men and Women will have to suffice.

Rugby League as always focused on International Competition as well as their domestic comps in the men since 1908 - Australia (really Sydney and Brisbane) v England (really northern counties) and v New Zealand as well. Other countries are now playing the game and they have expanded their womens comps to be included as well.
To expand on my comment about a Female CEO to replace Gil - Kylie Rogers is a name that pops up who has plenty of positive comments for the AFLW and is on a list of possibles for his job in some media reports. However who knows what will happen.
The Womens game should be easier to export at this time.

If RL can do it why can't Aussie Rules?

The AFL International cup has been running women's divisions for some time.

There are probably more women playing Aussie Rules than RL in the world.

There are absolutely more women playing Australian Football than rugby league.

It isn't one-sided and you can look at the International Cup results for the amateurs.

Professionally you could easily have Australia Vs Ireland or vs a World team.

The final would probably be between Australia and Ireland.

No Australia in the International Cup makes sense.

The exposure as a possible world sport would be amazing.

The AFL have had the International Cup for yonks and done NOTHING with it.
They keep playing it in Melbourne during the regular AFL season instead of tendering it out.
The AFL does almost zero promotion and guess what - it gets almost zero (neutral) attendance.

Play it after the AFLW season before the weather in Vic gets too cold to encourage the crowds.

If you were really serious then you'd have an AFL-free break with even S.O.O. as well.
You'd play matches all around Australia and THEN play the finals in Melbourne.

Games could be played as curtain raisers to AFL matches.

There no such thing as a "curtain-raiser" anymore. The International Cup grand finals are played before an AFL match,
but the obligatory finish one hour before the AFL match.
There's not many in attendance especially at the commencement of the I.C. G.F.

I.C. G.F. is played at the MCG for the mens and at Docklands for the women.

The main obstacle to change strangely enough is the international organisations.
They wont do anything out of the box for fear offending the AFL.
There was a petition to get games televised on SBS as it fulfills all of their criteria
but it wasn't supported internationally because it wasn't backed by the AFL.

Fiji came within a hare's breath of knocking off Canada in IC17 (they played them to a draw in sloppy conditions, but for some bizarre reason the match was forced to go on until a golden point that the Canadians scored).

It's bizarre that you think eliminating draws in this type of competition is bizarre.
Most people were aware that games would go into extra time and then the golden point.
IMO that was the most intense 17 minutes of Australian Football I have had the pleasure to watch.

It's bizarre that you think eliminating draws in this type of competition is bizarre.
Most people were aware that games would go into extra time and then the golden point.
IMO that was the most intense 17 minutes of Australian Football I have had the pleasure to watch.
Name another major competition where group stage matches force draws (or at least give a bonus for teams that lose in extra time). And I'm talking about sports where draws are natural (not basketball, baseball, etc).

I can also confirm that none of the commentators knew about this rule, neither did the two US teams that competed.

Name another major competition where group stage matches force draws

I thought the idea was to avoid draws not force draws.
(or at least give a bonus for teams that lose in extra time).

I have no idea what you're suggesting there.

And I'm talking about sports where draws are natural (not basketball, baseball, etc).

Can you name a sport where draws are unnatural ?
I can also confirm that none of the commentators knew about this rule, neither did the two US teams that competed.

That statement can be taken in various ways.
The important thing is that people have taken corrective action
and hopefully all should be agreed on the laws and conditions of the upcoming i.C.

It isn't one-sided and you can look at the International Cup results...
Ireland now though is way too powerful for the other sides, if you go on the recent AFL European Championships results.

HOWEVER, as always, it's dependent on what players can take 3 weeks off and travel to Australia for the International Cup.

Ireland now though is way too powerful for the other sides, if you go on the recent AFL European Championships results.

for "way too powerful" substitute "good wins".
for "for the other sides" substitute "some European sides."
There are still good sides in Europe and you've completely forgotton about North America, PNG and N.Z.

for "way too powerful" substitute "good wins".
for "for the other sides" substitute "some European sides."
There are still good sides in Europe and you've completely forgotton about North America, PNG and N.Z.

"Good wins"??!!

Only one goal was kicked against them all tournament, and they beat the GB Swans (IC17 Semi-Finalists) by 115 points in the Grand Final!

And with North America? With respect to my USAFL friends, the USA Freedom doesn't move the ball anywhere near as well as the Irish (see vision from IC17).

Canada have had a number of their top players retire, and word is they are not as strong as they once were.

PNG Women are middle of the road and missed out on the Semis at IC17.

NZ are the wildcard. They have not played anyone at International level, so nobody knows how good or bad they will be. My guess is that they'll be around PNG and Fiji level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Good wins"??!!

Only one goal was kicked against them all tournament, and they beat the GB Swans (IC17 Semi-Finalists) by 115 points in the Grand Final!

And with North America? With respect to my USAFL friends, the USA Freedom doesn't move the ball anywhere near as well as the Irish (see vision from IC17).

Canada have had a number of their top players retire, and word is they are not as strong as they once were.

NZ are the wildcard. They have not played anyone at International level, so nobody knows how good or bad they will be. My guess is that they'll be around PNG and Fiji level.

Yes, good wins.
Ireland can produce a good team, but the rest of Europe (and the world) are recovering from the Covid situation.
By the time 2024 comes around then it wont be a lay-down-misere as you suggest.

Yes, good wins.
Ireland can produce a good team, but the rest of Europe (and the world) are recovering from the Covid situation.
By the time 2024 comes around then it wont be a lay-down-misere as you suggest.

Nope, baseless comments from yourself.

Name the European countries (individually) that could challenge Ireland, and any evidence that could back-up your belief.

"Good wins"??!!

I agree with CH's assessment.

The Euro Cup tournament was essentially four full games in as many days. Ireland obliterated the competition, including the two teams (GBR and GER) with the most international representative experience. I thought Great Britain would give them a game based on IC17, but that didn't happen.

This tournament is probably more demanding than IC, though the difference is you can name more reserves/emergencies in the IC.

No one knows how the North American teams will do because, unless the Trans Atlantic Cup goes off, neither team will have played an international rep match six or seven years and both will have teams almost devoid of players from the IC17 roster.

If 2017 is any indication PNG and Fiji will be competitive, but I can't see either making the strides to challenge the Irish. I think New Zealand will be above average considering how developed their competition is there.

Does anybody know what the rules/expectations are on AFLW players participating?

I know there's a limit to Australian-based players (Wikipedia says eight), but if Ireland are about to select add eight AFLW players to their list, they'll be even more unstoppable.

I expect Canada to dip for IC24, but rise again for IC27 (or whenever it happens). The senior leagues have been pretty stagnant, but their juniors programs look promising for a few years' time.

Nope, baseless comments from yourself.

So you don't believe Ireland has more depth, that Australian Football all over the world has suffered and is now recovering.
In times like these a team with depth is going to produce some strong wins.

Name the European countries (individually) that could challenge Ireland, and any evidence that could back-up your belief.

I just love these child-like taunts from people who lack basic comprehension.
I stated "By the time 2024 comes around then it wont be a lay-down-misere as you suggest."
Anyone comprehending that statement will know it's quite conservative.

So you don't believe Ireland has more depth, that Australian Football all over the world has suffered and is now recovering.
In times like these a team with depth is going to produce some strong wins.
Actually, GB has greater depth when taking in participation numbers from AFL London, Scotland, Wales, the National Universities League and other independent teams (like Nottingham).

The Irish quality is what stands out, especially their Gaelic Football background and how well that has proven in their adaptation to Aussie Rules.

I'll need to double-check my notes (as I'm at work right now), but I believe Ireland hasn't been beaten in the 18-a-side format since 2014. (although I need to double check 2018 European results).

I just love these child-like taunts from people who lack basic comprehension.
I stated "By the time 2024 comes around then it wont be a lay-down-misere as you suggest."
Anyone comprehending that statement will know it's quite conservative.
Child-like taunts?

Nothing childish about requesting evidence to back-up your outlandish claims.

If YOU think it isn't a lay-down-misere and a European side can challenge, please explain the country/countries and how'll they'll do it?

Is it the GB Swans? German Eagles? Croatia? Sweden? France?

Who will it be and how will they bridge this skill gap in just 18 months?

Actually, GB has greater depth when taking in participation numbers from AFL London, Scotland, Wales, the National Universities League and other independent teams (like Nottingham).

Depth is one thing e.g. like the U.S.A but regular quality competition is another.
If YOU think it isn't a lay-down-misere

I don't and I've given my, reasons.
So stop repeatedly asking the same question

Edit: not needed - OTP

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back