AFLW State of Origin - Collingwood watch

Remove this Banner Ad

We were thinking the same while watching the game. The two male commentators - rudely I've forgotten their names - have heard them before and they are excellent. Really do their homework, know all the women, know their backgrounds and their home teams. Plus they are very good at calling the game. High standard stuff.

As for Hamish McLachlan. Does anyone else find him patronising? Very underwhelming.

Agree on Nigel Carmody & Jason Bennett they were very good, but McLachlan I thought was trying too hard and very annoying as a result. Was constantly trying to 'over-hype' everything - lost count of the number of times he tried to get the players to admit the pace of the game was the fastest women's football in the history of the world.

I was impressed with the standard of the top-end players - it will improve over time, but still feel there's a huge gulf between the best and and not so good even at this elite level. The sooner this is bridged the better the game and overall spectacle will be IMO.... but it is very early days.

I've heard differently about their training standards. The vast majority also work full time, and some have children. I've also heard - from one of our players - that the club does not provide dinner/food after all the training sessions, so the girls all put in their own $$$ and a volunteer prepares their food. I think the club stump up for dinner after one of the sessions.

All I'm asking for is some perspective on this. The AFLW players simply do not have the same resources afforded them, nor the same time available as the senior men. I'm not having a go at you about this, but it is not an even playing field and in fairness to footy, it should not be, at least for now. But it should be in the future.

Yeah and in the future it might be. But i've heard from someone at the club who was less than impressed about the training effort of some players, also how they interact with the Netball and men's side. Mo Hope is a classic example of that, which showed last season.

They may not have the same resources, and they may at some stage but they still have a long way to go. Personally i don't like watching it as the skills and speed of the game are sub par. I don't agree in expanding the AFLW either as at this stage i don't see a deep enough talent pool.

The AFLW players simply do not have the same resources afforded them, nor the same time available as the senior men. I'm not having a go at you about this, but it is not an even playing field and in fairness to footy, it should not be, at least for now. But it should be in the future.

The problem with that is if more resources were put into AFLW program then supporters would bang on about "Why are we channeling resources away from our core business of winning AFL (men's) Premierships!?!? :mad: I never asked for the AFLW's team :mad: why are my membership dollars being wasted on AFLW :mad: "

Of course not all supporters are like that, but plenty seem to be if BF is any indication.

IMO it's a symptom of the club putting a bid in without consulting the fans or membership. Of course some would still complain - there's bound to be somebody who complains.

But that doesn't stop the fact that the club didn't even make an effort to get its supporters behind the AFLW bid.

The problem with that is if more resources were put into AFLW program then supporters would bang on about "Why are we channeling resources away from our core business of winning AFL (men's) Premierships!?!? :mad: I never asked for the AFLW's team :mad: why are my membership dollars being wasted on AFLW :mad: "

Of course not all supporters are like that, but plenty seem to be if BF is any indication.

IMO it's a symptom of the club putting a bid in without consulting the fans or membership. Of course some would still complain - there's bound to be somebody who complains.

But that doesn't stop the fact that the club didn't even make an effort to get its supporters behind the AFLW bid.

There have certainly been issues with how the club has handled the AFLW team, and our involvement. One minor matter which still irks me - I joined up as a member of our AFLW branch of the club. And received absolutely nothing. I think we were promised a badge or something, but its been zilch, zero, nothing.

There have certainly been issues with how the club has handled the AFLW team, and our involvement. One minor matter which still irks me - I joined up as a member of our AFLW branch of the club. And received absolutely nothing. I think we were promised a badge or something, but its been zilch, zero, nothing.
My badge turned up in the mail a couple of weeks after trade week, recall it was weird as the accompanying letter talked up plays by players who had departed.

Attachments

• IMG_2762.JPG
    IMG_2762.JPG
    438.9 KB · Views: 26
My badge turned up in the mail a couple of weeks after trade week, recall it was weird as the accompanying letter talked up plays by players who had departed.

Interesting, thanks for that. I didnt get one. Will check with my daughter, as she joined up too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back