Game Day AFLX: PORTS -VS- FARKEN

Remove this Banner Ad

Our gameplan is going to be so ugly this year. Fans are going to hate this chip chip stuff.

Basically our plan is hold, hold, hold, slowly move it forward and then eventually turn it over

It is defensive possession. Opponent can't score without the ball..,

Oh, and...

Calippo > Zooper Dooper

There is Calippo in Australia, still? They stopped selling those in the 80's around here.

P.S.: Useless Culture — Popsicle is called "picolé" in Brazil. Calippo or Zooper Dooper is not "picolé," but "sacolé" — which could be translated to English as "bagsicle."

Main things I noticed - we held up the ball too often, with the small field this makes it too easy to be tackled and we could have practiced moving it on quicker. Turnovers could cost a lot, Jack Watts gave away at least two goals with his kicks smothered and another kick across ground led to a Freo goal. I don't want to buy real estate from those umps, they called running too far four times for different teams when the players had only gone 10 metres at the most, possibly less. And the cowlover who was on the PA needed to be shot.

The trouble is that when you've only got 7 players on a team and a last touch rule in place, if you've run to or kicked to the wrong spot you can quickly find yourself running out of options and having your space closed down with nowhere to go. Anyone who has played a bit of Futsal would be familiar with the feeling.

And running too far in this game is 10 metres, not 15 (actually don't recall that being mentioned anywhere before tonight).

Hey random question I’ve been meaning to ask for years. Why was Grant Thomas called Cornflakes?

At Thomas' first presser after taking over from Blight, some journo asked him something along the lines of how he'd cope with the pressure of replacing a legend and being a head coach and shit and, with a straight face, he replied:

"I eat pressure for breakfast."

Patrick Smith christened him "Corn Flakes" in an article the next day, lmao...

I'm sorry, but that wasn't football, far from it.

It was football as futsal and beach soccer are soccer. I am a fan of the former, but not of the latter. Let's see in which category footyx ultimately falls into.

What did I get from last night?
Zero point zero tbh.
Rules were completely different to normal Aussie Rules. Pitch dimensions half size. Cows and Cats came to play - even admitted as much in interviews.
Port, Pies and WC played hardly any gun players, only a handful of quicker types. Our guys clearly had no idea on tactics, rules, etc as Hammer admitted on TV "we haven't really done any training for this". LOL when BT and Brayshaw questioned him, hoping he would pump it up and say Port were 100% gunning or success! :p
If you want a precursor as to how we will play conventional style footy, disregard last night and focus on the JLT matches for an indication.

Just finished watching the “tournament” you’d be dreaming to say you were happy with what you saw. I’d like to think that there’s a lot of young players feeling pretty regretful and frustrated right now

I was ecstatic, couldn't be prouder of my club.

We stood up to AFL bullying to force players in to this crap by pulling our players just before it started, one of our club's leaders openly admitted to not training for it which shows we are focused on the real footy to come, and the results were perfect: Zero injuries, and due to losing only had to play two games rather than three. What more could you possibly want?

All round this was a massive win for Port.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The game, the game plan or the outcome... Sure, no consequence.

But **** me there were times where we lacked the basic ability to kick a football. It wasnt just the rookies either.

And players should ALWAYS bring effort no matter how small the stakes.

They should always bring effort to games of football. These weren't games of football. These were an unfortunate distraction that it seems the players and club did their absolute best to ignore.

I watched until the end of the second Port game. I haven't read the comments so far so here are my unadulterated ones:
- silver ball was too hard to see on tv; get rid of it
- grey jumper dull, dull, dull (as expected)
- flashing goal posts and smoking bangy things: whatever
- Lehmo: why him?
- Brayshaw: I don't really want the MMM-style hyper commentary on the tv broadcast. Was already sick of him after his first "Bristle"
- when the ball bounces back into play off the goal posts make it play on - could result in some interesting goals
- favourite bit was Lienert blatantly pushing the Geelong guy in the back (grin on his face)
- liked the little solo-thing done by one of the Crows players
- Port's games more enjoyable as they weren't being serious/boring like the Crows
- I didn't see any high marking: product of the game dynamics, particular players, or just one of those days?
- good training exercise for AFL teams, but leave it at that
- it's a concept in it's early stages and will need a fair bit of honing to make it a viable international export (which has to be the end-game with this thing)

At Thomas' first presser after taking over from Blight, some journo asked him something along the lines of how he'd cope with the pressure of replacing a legend and being a head coach and shit and, with a straight face, he replied:

"I eat pressure for breakfast."

Patrick Smith christened him "Corn Flakes" in an article the next day, lmao...

Nah, its much worse than that. Thomas used to be in the coaches box under Blight but was told to get out on quite a few occasions mid game. Patrick Smith nicknamed him Corn Flakes as he'd been tipped out of the box more than a box of corn flakes.

Nah, its much worse than that. Thomas used to be in the coaches box under Blight but was told to get out on quite a few occasions mid game. Patrick Smith nicknamed him Corn Flakes as he'd been tipped out of the box more than a box of corn flakes.
FWIW my recollection of the reason is the same as Magpiespower's.

As for AFLX, yawn.

Can't wait for footy to be back.

ITT: A team that has a gameplan that is built on forward half pressure and repeat inside 50 entries doesn’t succeed in a game that is engineered to negate exactly that.

Of course we didn’t train for it.

FWIW my recollection of the reason is the same as Magpiespower's.

As for AFLX, yawn.

Can't wait for footy to be back.

After looking back it seems to be 50/50 with no definitive answer. Either one is humorous

According to the ticketing it was meant to be all general admission but some bays were labelled "AFL/Club" whatever that meant as if they were exclusive. There were officials at the top of the aisles and not all those seats were full. One bay said "Port supporter bay" but anyone could go there, I did and was not stopped. Some of the officials were real w***ers, one told me I had to stand outside the yellow line near the "no standing" line. Although there were about four girls standing well inside the yellow line.

ITT: A team that has a gameplan that is built on forward half pressure and repeat inside 50 entries doesn’t succeed in a game that is engineered to negate exactly that.

Of course we didn’t train for it.
Yes, it's a different game requiring different tactics and suited to a subset of an AFL list.

How many First XV Wallaby's players have also represented Australia in Rugby Sevens?

The only real strategy I could think of came when one of the West Coast players had a walk-in goal with no-one near him. He held it back and kicked the goal slowly. I thought at the time this would be a good chance for everyone to get into position for the kick-out. Didn't seem to happen, though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back