Player Watch #18: Alex Rance

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't paid any attention to this saga because I didn't take the rumours seriously, but the recent attention has me concerned.

Can someone sum up the whole situation for Rance and the club in short for me?

I haven't paid any attention to this saga because I didn't take the rumours seriously, but the recent attention has me concerned.

Can someone sum up the whole situation for Rance and the club in short for me?

He's an Unrestricted free agent at season end
We want to re sign him.
Freo have apparently offered big $
Rumour he may turn his back on footy altogether to pursue lifestyle commitments (possibly religion...sigh...)
He keeps putting in AA performances week in week out regardless
BigFooty posters continue to have differing opinions on the Internet.

He's an Unrestricted free agent at season end
We want to re sign him.
Freo have apparently offered big $
Rumour he may turn his back on footy altogether to pursue lifestyle commitments (possibly religion...sigh...)
He keeps putting in AA performances week in week out regardless
BigFooty posters continue to have differing opinions on the Internet.
And he needs to be played on the ball. He's a gun and a clearance king

Dimma said "no doubt, no doubt at all in my mind that Alex will be playing for Richmond next year."
saw that but he needs to be on the money otherwise..

qx9rexy75ogxxwmp3yvq.jpg

Dimma said "no doubt, no doubt at all in my mind that Alex will be playing for Richmond next year."

Dimma's right. I said last year but nobody ever believes me ;)

Round 6-12 it will get done. Dan confirmed that time line to I believe yesterday/this morning, heard a grab on SEN. In two weeks we "start talks" ( yeah right) which is round 6 then it should be done a few weeks after that. Now he might decide he wants to walk the mountains of Tibet but I am 95% sure he will sign. I am 100% sure he wont play for another club though :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If 100% true an he leaves to work on his faith etc, then good luck to the bloke

If the post in that link is 100% true, then he's an idiot. Seems like a great guy and it would be an incredible waste. I hope someone talks sense into him. I'd rather put up with him bringing god into every interview and still dominating for the tiges than know he's out there bothering people in their homes.

If the post in that link is 100% true, then he's an idiot. Seems like a great guy and it would be an incredible waste. I hope someone talks sense into him. I'd rather put up with him bringing god into every interview and still dominating for the tiges than know he's out there bothering people in their homes.
Really don't want to make this thread about religion and this has been covered already. A JW can't fully join the Church while playing competitive sport. This is a stretch but I'm trying to put it in a context that's easier to understand, imagine if Houli was forced to eat pig if he wanted to play AFL, he'd quit AFL no question. The difference with the situation people are suggesting with Rance is that it's not an AFL implemented policy or something the AFL can change, it's just a part of JW beliefs.

I really don't want to suppress any discussion but I don't want us to get into a religious debate so I hope we can move on from the Rance is a JW discussion and focus on Rance and his contract.

BigFooty has a Society, Religion and Politics board here but if you guys would like a safe place to discuss this, we can consider creating a Religion thread in the TCH. Close minded opinions and abuse would not be tolerated in there so if you want us to set this up with some ground rules, send one of the mods a PM and we'll discuss.

Really don't want to make this thread about religion and this has been covered already. A JW can't fully join the Church while playing competitive sport. This is a stretch but I'm trying to put it in a context that's easier to understand, imagine if Houli was forced to eat pig if he wanted to play AFL, he'd quit AFL no question. The difference with the situation people are suggesting with Rance is that it's not an AFL implemented policy or something the AFL can change, it's just a part of JW beliefs.

I really don't want to suppress any discussion but I don't want us to get into a religious debate so I hope we can move on from the Rance is a JW discussion and focus on Rance and his contract.

BigFooty has a Society, Religion and Politics board here but if you guys would like a safe place to discuss this, we can consider creating a Religion thread in the TCH. Close minded opinions and abuse would not be tolerated in there so if you want us to set this up with some ground rules, send one of the mods a PM and we'll discuss.

Dunno if this is directed at me but if a rumour that he may quit football dues to religious beliefs isn't a discussion point well nothing is..
And thanks for the context its not like we all need to be told our opinion

Dunno if this is directed at me but if a rumour that he may quit football dues to religious beliefs isn't a discussion point well nothing is..
And thanks for the context its not like we all need to be told our opinion
Not directed at anyone, ease up :rainbow:

Discussing the fact that an All Australian would quit the game at the peak of his powers because he intends to join a religion has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with standard brain function IMO.

The AFL is all about inclusion, diversity and multiculturalism and make sure they accommodate all beliefs and values within the game (or at least they promote it to offset the occasional racist crowd!). Houli plays while fasting for Ramadan! The AFL would love to promote Rance the religious man as part of the game...

The fact a certain religion is unwilling to bend their rules to accommodate professional sports should be setting off alarm bells in Alex’s head. If it's not, i feel sorry for him and the regret he will inevitably feel later in life...

I'm not calling him an idiot for being a JW. It's that he (if this is all true) is being manipulated by hypocrites. Being a JW doesn't stop Prince or the WIlliams sisters or Naomi Campbell from being in the limelight. These people just made that up but then at the same time, using Rance's names to bignote themselves. If the information in that link was correct, which would be surprising.

Discussing the fact that an All Australian would quit the game at the peak of his powers because he intends to join a religion has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with standard brain function IMO.

The AFL is all about inclusion, diversity and multiculturalism and make sure they accommodate all beliefs and values within the game (or at least they promote it to offset the occasional racist crowd!). Houli plays while fasting for Ramadan! The AFL would love to promote Rance the religious man as part of the game...

The fact a certain religion is unwilling to bend their rules to accommodate professional sports should be setting off alarm bells in Alex’s head. If it's not, i feel sorry for him and the regret he will inevitably feel later in life...
I don't think calling someone following their religion a matter of standard brain function is very appropriate. Richmond and the AFL i'm sure would be keen to accomodate Alex, that has been said in various sources. You'd hope that JW would be able to find a compromise considering the amount of professional sportspeople who are said to be part of the religion, and you can be sure Alex would be exploring that. Regardless of your thoughts on the religion, if push comes to shove and no compromise can be found then Alex would need to choose between his religion and football, and it would be his right to choose his religion and his brain function in making that decision shouldn't be brought into question. It's his decision not anyone elses.

FWIW I don't agree with him going but I respect that he has the choice and right to do so

Remove this Banner Ad

Back