All Australian thread 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Compare records vs top 8 sides of the trio.

Hawkins: 28 goals in 10 games @ 2.8 goals/game
Roughead: 16 goals in 7 games @ 2.3 goals/game
Schulz: 21 goals in 9 games @ 2.3 goals/game

Based on those figures Hawkins has been the best performed against stronger sides and as such should get in. He's been the second best key forward this year IMO and deserves to be FF in the AA team. Debatable who gets the 3rd tall.

Based on those figures Hawkins has been the best performed against stronger sides and as such should get in. He's been the second best key forward this year IMO and deserves to be FF in the AA team. Debatable who gets the 3rd tall.

Most marks inside 50 of the contenders, most contested marks (another four tonight)...

I don't really care if any other Geelong players get in, but I want Hawkins to make it. He deserves it.

Sandilands played 20 games and was not beaten once. should be first picked. just dominant week in week out. set up the win with his connection with Mundy in that 9 goal run today. only slowed down by a knee injury late and that is when our dominance stopped. Mundy has been consistent all year and never gets mentioned . Mundy unlike some midfielders gets meaningful stats

Most marks inside 50 of the contenders, most contested marks (another four tonight)...

I don't really care if any other Geelong players get in, but I want Hawkins to make it. He deserves it.
Definitely. Would love him at Essendon, would just make us twice as good. Watch him kick 5 vs Hawthorn next week.

You have Schulz in your team at full forward - can you tell me on what basis he makes the team in front of Hawkins? Hawkins finished with equal goals, more disposals, more marks, more contested marks (#1 in comp), more marks inside the forward 50 (#1 in comp) and nearly double the goal assists compared to Schulz.

Hawkins has to be full forward IMBO, with either Roughead (my pick, due to versatility) or Schulz in the pocket. Franklin over N. Riewoldt for the centre half forward spot.

You have Schulz in your team at full forward - can you tell me on what basis he makes the team in front of Hawkins? Hawkins finished with equal goals, more disposals, more marks, more contested marks (#1 in comp), more marks inside the forward 50 (#1 in comp) and nearly double the goal assists compared to Schulz.

Hawkins has to be full forward IMBO, with either Roughead (my pick, due to versatility) or Schulz in the pocket. Franklin over N. Riewoldt for the centre half forward spot.

Hawkins = 12.4 disposals, 6.6 marks, 1.4 tackles, 0.7 GA's, 2.3 CM's
Schulz = 12.3 disposals, 6.4 marks, 2.4 tackles, 0.4 GA's, 1.8 CM's

Doesn't appear to be much difference. Except that Schulz has played higher up the ground and is used less than Hawkins

Doesn't appear to be much difference. Except that Schulz has played higher up the ground and is used less than Hawkins

Contested marks as an aggregate puts it in better context, especially when the players have played the same amount of games. Hawkins led the league with 50. Schulz had 39. The closest to Hawkins had 42.

Was gunna say that but didn't see much point, wont change his mind... When stats are that close and similar they really are irrelevant, Hawkins gets more marks inside the forward 50 because he plays more up 50 compared to schulz more up the ground Etc.

In the end if I had to pick Hawkins or Schulz to play in my team this week based on their total output this year I would pick Schulz, that's why he is in my AA

Was gunna say that but didn't see much point, wont change his mind... When stats are that close and similar they really are irrelevant, Hawkins gets more marks inside the forward 50 because he plays more up 50 compared to schulz more up the ground Etc.

In the end if I had to pick Hawkins or Schulz to play in my team this week based on their total output this year I would pick Schulz, that's why he is in my AA

As would I if the game was against the Western Bulldogs or GWS, but against a good side, you'd be insane not to pick Hawkins.

As would I if the game was against the Western Bulldogs or GWS, but against a good side, you'd be insane not to pick Hawkins.

Happen to miss Schultz kicking 6 against a pretty good side today? Has Hawkins ever even had 6 kicks in a game against Freo?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't have to change my mind, because I think either would be a valid choice - they've both had great seasons. I was just questioning why you would dismiss Hawkins' chances of being named AA full forward while naming Schulz, when they have both had very similar seasons and, if anything, Hawkins has out performed him in all of the key criteria for a full forward. Plus, as mentioned, Hawkins' form against the better sides has been superior to Schulz's.

Happen to miss Schultz kicking 6 against a pretty good side today? Has Hawkins ever even had 6 kicks in a game against Freo?

So one game against a top side > season averages for AA selection now?

He averages 0.4 more goals than Schulz does against top teams... Not that significant at all. Again when stats are that close they become irrelevant

If anything, that makes the positional argument made against Hawkins' higher amount of i50/contested marks become relevant. Port supporters are saying he spends more time as a deep forward, so based on the closeness of the stats that should net Hawkins a position at FF. What other criteria would you introduce to refine the selection?

Hawkins > Schulz

He had five contested marks in the last game against Fremantle (and would have had more, if Dawson hadn't given up and just conceded the free kick on a number of occasions). The entire Fremantle team had six.

Why? Rance has had an excellent year. And definitely deserves to be in contention.

Squad maybe, but to miss half a dozen games you want to be clearly in based on the rest of your season and I think the rest of his season is line-ball, brilliant 2nd half of the season but his 1st half was average.

Ablett will make it even though he missed games, but he's something else.

WTF? 0.4 per game over the course of an entire season, is nine goals. Which isn't close at all.
Over the course of the season he has kicked 7 extra goals in 10 games compared to Schulz who has played 9 games. Not that significant at all. Especially considering Schulz just kicked 6 against freo, give him another game against a top 8 side and it would be equal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back