Remove this Banner Ad

B - Mckenzie, Talia, N.Smith
HB - Malceski, Hooker, B.Smith
C - Rockliff, Pendlebury, Heppel
HF - Gray, Franklin, Harvey
F - Bruest, Roughead, N.Reidwoldt
R - Sandilands, Fyfe, Kennedy (C)

INT - Lewis, Ablett, Boak, Parker

I think they might make Parker one of those 'got to have 2 standout seasons in a row' to earn an AA spot and pick an established player over him.

No way Breust is a lock, he was pathetic the last 2 months, had only 1 good game in that period and was against Fremantle where they lost. Would have Betts in there before him, Betts kicked 50 himself and set up 29 to be the number 1 assisted this season, his consistency should be rewarded.

What on earth has Breust done to offend Dog supporters? He's a lock to everyone except you two :/

I dont see pendles getting a gig on the ground...maybe bench.
On ground as a mid b4 pendles. .

Gaj
Jpk
Rocky
Jelwood
Fyfe

Breust ruffy tomahawk is the easiest line of any to pick
Hf gray buddy and?? Parker v boomer
Backs always a lottery but eski and Mckenzie are locks for me

Looking at the stats, Bryce Gibbs's stats are actually better for the most part than Pendlebury's and Beams.

Gibbs 18 goals, Pendlebury 13 goals, Gibbs more marks, more kicks, more clearances, more inside 50s than Pendlebury.

Yet even I believe that Pendlebury will get the nod over Gibbs due to Pendlebury being a "name player of established standing".

Gibbs more marks, more kicks, more inside 50s, more tackles than Beames...yet I doubt Gibbs will make it over Beames, as Beames has a proven track records IN THE PAST as a great player.

If only the judges based it on this year alone Gibbs might just get on the bench, but I doubt it. They always look at a player's overall history.

Bryce Gibbs, Carlton.
Never Previously All Australian. 22 games in 2014. 308 kicks, 89 marks, 237 handballs, averaging 14.0 kicks, 4.0 marks, 10.8 hand balls. 18 Goals, 15 Behinds. 124 Clearances (Tenth in the AFL), 91
Inside 50m(Tenth in the AFL), 38 Rebound 50m. 108 Tackles.
Dayne Beams, Collingwood. All Australian 2012. 19 games in 2014. 278 kicks, 68 marks, 238 handballs, averaging 14.6 kicks, 3.6 marks, 12.5 handballs. 23 Goals, 16 Behinds. 115 Clearances, 86 Inside 50, 34 Rebound
50m. 100 Tackles.
Scott Pendlebury, Collingwood. All Australian 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013. 21 games in 2014. 292 kicks, 75 marks, 304 handballs (sixth in the AFL in handballs and third in the AFL in total disposals), averaging 13.9 kicks,
3.6 marks, 14.5 handballs. 13 Goals, 10 Behinds. 113 Clearances, 72 Inside 50, 51 Rebound 50m. 116 Tackles

Of non-Carlton players I would have liked Ben McGlynn to have been nominated, as he really impressed me this year and really impacted on results in the Adelaide match and a few others.

Last edited:
Ryder not even in the 40 is astonishing
Has a brownlow medallist ever missed out on AA?
Shane Woewodin didn't get in I'm pretty sure.
Next question, surely you're not trying to suggest Ryder could take home the Brownlow?

9 games where Melbourne were in front in the final term plus another couple which were close (GC, Saints).

Its more that Bernie and Tyson might nick a couple.

EDIT: Wasn't that long ago that Moloney raked in a bunch of threes either.

Mate you just said he had a better year than Selwood, who is quite likely to take home the charlie.

You're talking about looking silly....well there it is.

Looking at the stats, Bryce Gibbs's stats are actually better for the most part than Pendlebury's and Beams.

Gibbs 18 goals, Pendlebury 13 goals, Gibbs more marks, more kicks, more clearances, more inside 50s than Pendlebury.

Yet even I believe that Pendlebury will get the nod over Gibbs due to Pendlebury being a "name player of established standing".

Gibbs more marks, more kicks, more inside 50s, more tackles than Beames...yet I doubt Gibbs will make it over Beames, as Beames has a proven track records IN THE PAST as a great player.

If only the judges based it on this year alone Gibbs might just get on the bench, but I doubt it. They always look at a player's overall history.

Bryce Gibbs, Carlton.
Never Previously All Australian. 22 games in 2014. 308 kicks, 89 marks, 237 handballs, averaging 14.0 kicks, 4.0 marks, 10.8 hand balls. 18 Goals, 15 Behinds. 124 Clearances (Tenth in the AFL), 91
Inside 50m(Tenth in the AFL), 38 Rebound 50m. 108 Tackles.
Dayne Beams, Collingwood. All Australian 2012. 19 games in 2014. 278 kicks, 68 marks, 238 handballs, averaging 14.6 kicks, 3.6 marks, 12.5 handballs. 23 Goals, 16 Behinds. 115 Clearances, 86 Inside 50, 34 Rebound
50m. 100 Tackles.
Scott Pendlebury, Collingwood. All Australian 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013. 21 games in 2014. 292 kicks, 75 marks, 304 handballs (sixth in the AFL in handballs and third in the AFL in total disposals), averaging 13.9 kicks,
3.6 marks, 14.5 handballs. 13 Goals, 10 Behinds. 113 Clearances, 72 Inside 50, 51 Rebound 50m. 116 Tackles

Of non-Carlton players I would have liked Ben McGlynn to have been nominated, as he really impressed me this year and really impacted on results in the Adelaide match and a few others.

beams averages more kicks, handballs, disposals, goals, inside 50's, clearances, tackles, rebound 50's, goal assists.

the only thing gibbs outdoes beams on is marks..

Not really surprised Ryder didn't make it. Watch Hooker get shafted too and not make the team.

NSmith Rance Taylor
Malceski Talia Burgoyne/Gibbs
Rockliff Selwood Lewis
Jacobs Ablett Kennedy
Franklin Roughhead Fyfe
Ballantyne Hawkins Bruest
Gunstons Gray Gibbs/Burgoyne Pendlebury

Rather Gibbs on the flank but for sake of picking someone who actually played backline I will go Burgoyne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure where all the calls for Ryder are coming from.
He's clearly been in the top 3 rucks this season, producing a very consistent one for us. He'll finish top 3 in the B+F easily, probably only behind Hooker and Heppell

He's clearly been in the top 3 rucks this season, producing a very consistent one for us. He'll finish top 3 in the B+F easily, probably only behind Hooker and Heppell
The ruck spot is a 2 way race though, Sandilands and Jacobs are the clear standouts this season.

I've barely noticed him or heard talk of him all season. Obviously that means nothing in and of itself but it I just haven't at any stage even had him in consideration for AA. Jacobs, Sandilands, Goldstein......Even Mumford and Maric have been noticeable for their importance to their teams.

I'll take your word for it though (not being smart. You obviously watch them closer than I). FTR - I think Hodge will be top 2/3 in our B&F but I didn't think he should have been picked either.

The way I see it, if Brodie Smith gets in the team, Jay Schulz deserves to be in the team. They had almost identical seasons.

Both started red hot, being the best in the league statistically for what their purpose was (Smith - R50s/metres gained, Schulz - kicking goals).

At around the halfway point, they both dropped away big time.

They then both had pretty monster final rounds (Smith against the wooden spooners at home, but great game nonetheless, Schulz kicked 6 against Freo at Subiaco).

I'm happy for both to be in the team, or neither to be in the team. But if one is in over the other (even if it's Schulz over Smith), I'll think it's mighty unfair.

I've barely noticed him or heard talk of him all season. Obviously that means nothing in and of itself but it I just haven't at any stage even had him in consideration for AA. Jacobs, Sandilands, Goldstein......Even Mumford and Maric have been noticeable for their importance to their teams.

I'll take your word for it though (not being smart. You obviously watch them closer than I). FTR - I think Hodge will be top 2/3 in our B&F but I didn't think he should have been picked either.
Fair enough. He's definitely been better than Goldstein this season. I'd argue he's our most important player, actually

The way I see it, if Brodie Smith gets in the team, Jay Schulz deserves to be in the team. They had almost identical seasons.

Both started red hot, being the best in the league statistically for what their purpose was (Smith - R50s/metres gained, Schulz - kicking goals).

They then both had pretty monster final rounds (Smith against the wooden spooners at home, but great game nonetheless, Schulz kicked 6 against Freo at Subiaco).

I'm happy for both to be in the team, or neither to be in the team. But if one is in over the other (even if it's Schulz over Smith), I'll think it's mighty unfair.

Seeing as they play completely different positions and are vying for spots against a different set of players, then the comparison you made is next to useless.

Smith has less competition over his spot. Smith should make it, Schulz shouldn't.

Seeing as they play completely different positions and are vying for spots against a different set of players, then the comparison you made is next to useless.

Smith has less competition over his spot. Smith should make it, Schulz shouldn't.

I don't think Smith has less competition over his spot. There are two half back flank positions, of which it has been shown in the past AA selectors are willing to put a midfielder in.

There are potentially three key forward spots between 5 key forwards - Buddy will get the CHF, Riewoldt misses out, then it's potentially two spots between three players (Hawkins, Schulz, Roughead).

Schulz was leading the Coleman for a majority of the year. That means for a majority of the year he was statistically the best forward if you're going at the basic statistic of what a forward does.

No way Breust is a lock, he was pathetic the last 2 months, had only 1 good game in that period and was against Fremantle where they lost. Would have Betts in there before him, Betts kicked 50 himself and set up 29 to be the number 1 assisted this season, his consistency should be rewarded.

Luke Breust - 53 goals + 28 assists = 81 goal involvements
Eddie Betts - 51 goals + 29 assists = 80 goal involvements

Then you can add the fact that Breust had more kicks, more handballs, more marks, more inside 50s, more contested ball, more clearances, higher disposal efficiency...

The only stats Eddie is higher on are tackles, behinds and bounces.

and burgoyne didn't?? burgoyne had a stretch of about 8 games after rd.8 where he had 0 impact.

I don't think any Hawks supporters are expecting Burgoyne to get in.

Lewis should get in but midfield spots are very tightly contested and there are never many spots left over after they used the permanent ink for a couple from the previous few years.

Bruest should get in. Ballyntine equally worthy. Bett's not at their level.

Rough maybe. Had a great season and as Robbo pointed out last nigh he does much more than most around the ground. It would not be undeserved.

Gunston is a maybe but reality is to get Lewis a gig midfielders probably have to take up a couple of forward spots as usual.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back