All things James Frawley - pick #3 compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel sorry for Frawley to be honest - he is friends with a few mates of mine and he is apparently an absolute ripping bloke.

I have no doubt that Melbourne have given him an underwhelming offer and told him that it's probably better for both parties if he takes a big deal elsewhere.

I hope he goes wherever he's happy, and I'm pretty sure that no matter what deal he takes, we will be given pick 3.

I feel sorry for Frawley to be honest - he is friends with a few mates of mine and he is apparently an absolute ripping bloke.

I have no doubt that Melbourne have given him an underwhelming offer and told him that it's probably better for both parties if he takes a big deal elsewhere.

I hope he goes wherever he's happy, and I'm pretty sure that no matter what deal he takes, we will be given pick 3.

I cannot fathom them lowballing him, it serves us no purpose and there's no logic to it.

I also can't see Roos wanting to lose a player like Frawley with the way he talks about getting experienced players and not hinging on draft picks, he's nothing like Sylvia who was expendable.

I cannot fathom them lowballing him, it serves us no purpose and there's no logic to it.

I also can't see Roos wanting to lose a player like Frawley with the way he talks about getting experienced players and not hinging on draft picks, he's nothing like Sylvia who was expendable.

Agreed

Given our lack of mature experienced players, I can't see roos pushing Chip out the door for a MAYBE 1st round pick, or maybe end of 1st round pick

Yeh look I'm only speculating.

I'm pretty sure if someone offered pick 3 for Frawley, Roos would take it though.

If pick 3 ends up being part of a dangerfield type trade then it will pay off hugely. Even a pick such as Brayshaw is probably more important to us than Frawley at the moment (just).

I've dumped a lot on chip , but if he was playing at his best and motivated to play for us I wouldn't trade him for pick 3

As it is he has been doing enough to get buy until he can play for a good team

Pick 3 is way overs but I'll take it

I've dumped a lot on chip , but if he was playing at his best and motivated to play for us I wouldn't trade him for pick 3

As it is he has been doing enough to get buy until he can play for a good team

Pick 3 is way overs but I'll take it

He certainly hasn't hit his AA form - but he's been playing at full in the worst team of possibly all time, ad this year was played out of position - at full forward in a very poor side.

He'll be a good player for a good side. A very nice piece of the puzzle for any of Geelong, Hawthorn or Fremantle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ripping? Sounds a bit overdone...

No Doubt? There is lots of doubt around that. That's what the ripping bloke is probably telling your mates. Melbourne don't need to low ball him. We make a good offer so we retain a good player - apparently we've already tried that - he rejected it. By giving him a decent offer - it increases his bargaining power if he's determined to get bigger coin at another club - and in turn should increase our compensation if there is any. We aren't lowballing him.

I hope he goes wherever he's happy,

I don't give two hoots whether he's happy. When a player leaves in the manner he has (shutting down talks, not giving any statement of intent to us all year), I don't wish anything good for him.

I'm pretty sure that no matter what deal he takes, we will be given pick 3.

Really? Is he even that good? I don't think he's worth pick 3, to be honest. The only way that would happen is if the AFL is trying to give us our priority pick without the rest of the competition being able to complain about it. Of course, they'd still complain about us getting pick 3 for Frawley, but not as much as if we got a priority pick.

Really? Is he even that good? I don't think he's worth pick 3, to be honest. The only way that would happen is if the AFL is trying to give us our priority pick without the rest of the competition being able to complain about it. Of course, they'd still complain about us getting pick 3 for Frawley, but not as much as if we got a priority pick.

This shits me to tears, it's got nothing to do with priority picks.

It's a set formula used to determine what band tier he's in and everything that's being reported is 5 years $500,000 at the very least with 7 years $800,000 at the most to go with prime age of 25, he's set for band 1 compensation.

This shits me to tears, it's got nothing to do with priority picks.

It's a set formula used to determine what band tier he's in and everything that's being reported is 5 years $500,000 at the very least with 7 years $800,000 at the most to go with prime age of 25, he's set for band 1 compensation.

If it's so set, why do people speculate so much on what sort of compensation we'll get? If it was purely dollar value, we'd just wait to find out his contract amount. They discuss it on radio all the time - and they discuss it in a more speculative way than just a formula like you stated. What's that about?

And why do things s**t you to tears? You got an anger problem?

If it's so set, why do people speculate so much on what sort of compensation we'll get? If it was purely dollar value, we'd just wait to find out his contract amount. They discuss it on radio all the time - and they discuss it in a more speculative way than just a formula like you stated. What's that about?

And why do things s**t you to tears? You got an anger problem?

It's not just dollar values, it's money, length of contract and age.

People thinking the AFL will use this as a way of giving us a priority pick without actually giving us one shits me to tears, take off the tin foil hat.

There is a clause which states that after the formula is used to calculate the pick, there is a panel which reviews it to ensure the result could not be considered an anomaly.

Whether that means they would bump it up to pick 3 rather than pick 20 - I'm not sure.

Ripping? Sounds a bit overdone...

Why? Do you not know any really good blokes?

No Doubt? There is lots of doubt around that. That's what the ripping bloke is probably telling your mates. Melbourne don't need to low ball him. We make a good offer so we retain a good player - apparently we've already tried that - he rejected it. By giving him a decent offer - it increases his bargaining power if he's determined to get bigger coin at another club - and in turn should increase our compensation if there is any. We aren't lowballing him.

Fair enough on the doubt. It's just my opinion that we probably would have offered him more if we weren't likely to receive compensation that is more valuable than retaining him. All I mean is that I reckon our offer would have been strategic in knowing that if he is offered more elsewhere, it will be enough to compensate us with band 1.

Also, he hasn't told my friends anything about his move actually. And they don't ask. He's been nothing but professional about it.

I don't give two hoots whether he's happy. When a player leaves in the manner he has (shutting down talks, not giving any statement of intent to us all year), I don't wish anything good for him.

Fair enough, but I don't harbour anywhere near the resentment that I did for Scully and especially that for Clark.

He's put in over some pretty dark days for us - and he's going to take a bigger pay day elsewhere, in what will be the main contract for his career.

I still believe we will have implied to him that it may be best for both parties if he takes an offer that would net us band 1.

No I don't think a club would trade pick 3 for Chip. But that's not what's happening here.

They are getting him for free, so will be prepared to pay him overs - which will most likely mean we will be compensated with a pick straight after our first. Unfortunately, we are so s**t that it means that pick will be pick 3, rather than say pick 10-15 which is probably where his true trade value roughly lies.

Would mean that we've lost senior players to three out of the top 4 sides (Rivers to Geelong & Sylvia to Freo), not to mention Clark. Equalisation my arse.

There's an irony in that the players were the ones who pushed hard for free agency, but now they are pushing for equalisation measures so every team has a decent chance of playing finals over their careers. Good luck with that!

It's not just dollar values, it's money, length of contract and age.

People thinking the AFL will use this as a way of giving us a priority pick without actually giving us one shits me to tears, take off the tin foil hat.
Well, you can put on the tin foil hat again for the Mitch Clarke compensation. The AFL will decide that entirely at their discretion if we can't get a deal done with a club. A formula won't work for that situation so it will be overseen by the league. Sorry if that shits you to tears.

Well, you can put on the tin foil hat again for the Mitch Clarke compensation. The AFL will decide that entirely at their discretion if we can't get a deal done with a club. A formula won't work for that situation so it will be overseen by the league. Sorry if that shits you to tears.

There is no compensation for Clark, it's trade or nothing.

Why? Do you not know any really good blokes?
In a society where exaggeration is normal, I don't trust it. Listen to how people talk these days:

Person A: You wanna come over and watch the game on Saturday?
Person B: Yeah, I'll be a bit late though - probably get there at 3.
Person A: Awesome!

Dictionary definition of "awesome": inspiring an overwhelming feeling of reverence, admiration, or fear;causing or inducing awe :
an awesome sight.

We exaggerate everything. Bad stuff too...

In a society where exaggeration is normal, I don't trust it. Listen to how people talk these days:

Person A: You wanna come over and watch the game on Saturday?
Person B: Yeah, I'll be a bit late though - probably get there at 3.
Person A: Awesome!

Dictionary definition of "awesome": inspiring an overwhelming feeling of reverence, admiration, or fear;causing or inducing awe :
an awesome sight.

We exaggerate everything. Bad stuff too...

I have a couple of mates who are from Ballarat and Geelong, and they are good friends with James Frawley. They went to Oktoberfest with him and Max Gawn last year actually (and I think a couple of other players from other clubs). I know them - they are good lads. They speak very highly of James Frawley being a great bloke, and after meeting Gawn in Munich, also said Gawn was a great guy.

With all the rubbish and unbelievable crap that gets sprouted around here, why you would put question to Frawley being a good bloke is beyond me.

Ando I can only presume you either;

a) had lots of money on the Swans to win on Saturday
b) have a severe hangover, or case of Mondayitis
or,
c) are pre-menstrual.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back