All things James Frawley - pick #3 compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
We all know how good he is, the bloke was an all aus at 21, plays on the bet player every week

However he really has dropped away in form and watching him tonight he doesn't or isn't allowed to back himself with run an carry an more .. He won all aus because he was a gun rebounding defender... Now he just picks it up an switches play .. Am I alone in seeing this ??

He's still got it, but he's inconsistent. Look at the last two games from last year for example. Against Adelaide he was monstered by Walker, one of the worst games I've seen him play, however the following week against freo he denied Pavlich the coleman.

We all know how good he is, the bloke was an all aus at 21, plays on the bet player every week

However he really has dropped away in form and watching him tonight he doesn't or isn't allowed to back himself with run an carry an more .. He won all aus because he was a gun rebounding defender... Now he just picks it up an switches play .. Am I alone in seeing this ??

He is probably lacking confidence. Usually happens when you have been s**t for a very long time.

However you are not alone in seeing that he switches it a hell of a lot even when the side of the ground they are on is probably the best for numbers. I have noticed this when I went down to the training sessions as well.

We are sinking players early this season.

It's Round 1 of the NAB Cup. Give it till at least the season begins before we pass judgement.

We are sinking players early this season.

It's Round 1 of the NAB Cup. Give it till at least the season begins before we pass judgement.

He has made an observation and a slight criticism of Frawley and asked if anyone else has noticed it. How is that sinking the boots in?

Didn't get to watch last night, but wasn't last year where he tore his pec about 12 weeks out from Round 1?
Year before. Same year Lake had his injury is how I remember it.

Started late in '11 from my observations and continued last year. Got worse and worse as the year went on. I've never been a Frawley fanboy, although I acknowledge his AA season was exactly that. I'm not really fussed with his losing willingness/ability to take the game on or switching it too much etc.

What worries me is the number of contests he loses these days.

In my opinion he's still very capable, still a good solid defender. But he's lost "it" - whatever it was he had in 2010 when he basically didn't get beaten by anyone all year.

Started late in '11 from my observations and continued last tear. Got worse and worse as the year went on. I've never been a Frawley fanboy, although I acknowledge his AA season was exactly that.

In my opinion he's still very capable, still a good solid defender. But he's lost "it" - whatever it was he had in 2010 when he basically didn't get beaten by anyone all year.

:rolleyes:

Really? His pre-season last year was shot to to hell because of injury and was playing catch up all year and he didn't ever catch up.

Geez i think some people are being harsh on Frawley i dont think he had a great year last season but i can only remember on 2 games that he got smashed 1 was against Walker, The other against Franklin who kicked 3 6 or something.

He might not run and take the game on as he did a few season ago but his number 1 job is to stop his opponet, And really how many time Does Frawly get a bagged kicked on him its hardly ever. I know going into games Im very confident more times or not his opponet wont kick more than 4 goals, Also if u think how many inside 50s we have against us over the last few years it would have been so much worse if it wasnt for Frawley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has made an observation and a slight criticism of Frawley and asked if anyone else has noticed it. How is that sinking the boots in?

The way I see it these "criticisms" need to wait until the season proper. Chip came off a serious injury last year and, admittedly, has started a little rusty this year, but to say he has dropped away and all he does is switches play is short sighted in the extreme. Let the season begin with a few games under the belt before we pass judgement.

No ones writing him off I simply asked if his drop off has been as noticeable to everyone else as me ... I'm not saying he won't recapture his best , just pointing out that quite clearly is missing something that made him AA, I think he thrived better under dean baileys run an handball game plan than neelds kick long , he was awesome at taking blokes on an getting free of the back 50 his kicking isn't so flash .. Maybe this is as a result of the importance placed on not getting done on the turnover

Quite happy for Frawley to sit back and mind the store , T-Mac seems to not mind a gallop and with Watts setting up things down there does it matter . And again , its early days , i might just wait and see how the season unfolds for us.

I've also noticed it, I think it simply comes down to lack of fitness and thus lack of confidence in his game. He puts a hell of a lot of pressure on himself, you can see it whenever his opponent gets the ball. I think he'll get back to his best this year, hopefully the mids can improve enough to take some much needed pressure of the defenders. Yes, his rebounding has declined, but it's definitely a confidence issue, one which will be easily fixed so long as he strings games together.

Anyone just think he's had a change of roles from Baileys gameplan to Neelds? That probably why he isn't running/ attacking as much.

Anyone just think he's had a change of roles from Baileys gameplan to Neelds? That probably why he isn't running/ attacking as much.

Yeah for sure, Bailey's 'game plan' was much more conducive to Frawley's attacking qualities than Neeld's is.

That said, I reckon we may see a bit more run-and-carry this year as we become more accomplished at the game plan and it becomes more complex. The likes of Nicholson, Blease and Rodan are in the team for that reason, but Frawley and Watts (maybe Grimes too) can certainly help out.

I just want Frawley to lock down the number one opposition KPF each week. Couldn't care less about his so called rebounding. If he can stop the best KPFs in the league taking marks inside fifty, and hold them to 1-2 goals per game like he was doing in 2010, I don't care if he never notches up a disposal!

Yeah it is easy to forget that he has had two significantly interrupted preseasons which have effected his season. Coming off a much better preseason should hopefully set him up for a much better year. I thought he looked pretty good on the weekend against the saints.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back