All things Politics

Remove this Banner Ad

It is recognised that this is a fraught topic for any number of you posting here. Some of you will have family in Israel or Palestine. Some of you will have connections to either side of the conflict. What you need to understand is that this site has rules governing posting standards and the appropriate way to talk to other posters, and you will abide by them.

How this interacts with this thread is that the following will result in your post being deleted, with a recurrence of the same behaviour resulting in (depending on severity) a threadban for a week and a day off:
  • direct labelling of someone as anti-semitic or a terrorist sympathiser for posting that is merely critical of Israel's response over time. Israel has the right to defend themselves from violence, but that does not mean that Israel has carte blanche to attack disproportionately towards people under their care.
  • deliberate goading or flippant responses, designed to get people reacting to your posting emotionally.
  • abuse.
  • attempts to turn this into a Left vs Right shitfight.
  • Use the word 'Nazi' in here, you had better be able to justify it in the post you're making and the comparison had better be apt. Godwin's law is in full effect for the purposes of this thread; if you refer to Nazis, you've lost whatever argument you're involved in.
  • Any defense of Hamas' actions on the basis of justification. There's no justification for genocide, regardless of whether or not they have the power to do so.
Please recognise that this is a difficult time for all involved, and some level of sensitivity is absolutely required to permit discussion to flow. From time to time, mods will reach out to specific posters and do some welfare checks; we may even give posters who get a bit too involved some days off to give people some time to cool down. This is not a reflection on you as a poster, merely that this is an intense subject.

I get that this is a fairly intense topic about which opinion can diverge rather significantly. If you feel you cannot be respectful in your disagreement with another poster, it is frequently better to refuse to engage than it is to take up the call.

From this point, any poster who finds themselves directly insulting another poster will find themselves receiving a threadban and an infraction, with each subsequent reoccurance resulting in steadily more points added to your account.

It has also become apparent that this needs to be said: just because someone moderates this forum that does not hold them to a different standard of posting than anyone else. All of us were posters first, and we are allowed to hold opinions on this and share them on this forum.

Treat each other with the respect each of you deserve.

Maggie5 Gone Critical Anzacday Jen2310

It's nice to reach back into the past and wonder, 'what if?'

What if the US didn't overthrow a democratically-elected government in Iran and install the Shah a their puppet?

No revolution in 1979, no theocracy, no terrorist state now being attacked by a genocidal state and potentially putting the region into war.

Meanwhile, the 'cleansing' of the West Bank continues.

Given the implications of such blatant theft and barbarism for a larger peace, political leaders might want to be a bit more vocal.

Seems that Israeli intel was spot on when Israeli warplanes bombed Iran's embassy in Syria in a strike that Iran said killed seven of its military advisers yet when seeking out Hamas in Gaza, they had to demolish and kill many thousands which resulted in millions being displaced but that was just collateral damage of war.

So they can pinpoint a target in Syria but not in their own backyard.

Hmmm... .

Seems that Israeli intel was spot on when Israeli warplanes bombed Iran's embassy in Syria in a strike that Iran said killed seven of its military advisers yet when seeking out Hamas in Gaza, they had to demolish and kill many thousands which resulted in millions being displaced but that was just collateral damage of war.

Hmmm... .
Hey maggie. Hamas do hide behind civilians. And I've been critical of Israel.from.the start. At least present arguments painting the full picture and in ahem 'good faith' otherwise it looks like your pushing an agenda.

It's nice to reach back into the past and wonder, 'what if?'

What if the US didn't overthrow a democratically-elected government in Iran and install the Shah a their puppet?

No revolution in 1979, no theocracy, no terrorist state now being attacked by a genocidal state and potentially putting the region into war.
I can't see the region going into full scale war. I can see some missile interaction which most will get blown up in the sky. The whole thing is a mess and yes, Israel is now the culprit. I don't understand why the so called free world is just turning a blind eye. I think there are some greedy forces behind this whole thing, pulling the strings. Life today is cheap and heaven forbid anyone who gets in the way. The world is going mad

Hey maggie. Hamas do hide behind civilians. And I've been critical of Israel.from.the start. At least present arguments painting the full picture and in ahem 'good faith' otherwise it looks like your pushing an agenda.
What does this have to do with what I posted apart from you wanting to have a 'dig'?

This is some of the most egregious trolling I've ever seen

I can't see the region going into full scale war. I can see some missile interaction which most will get blown up in the sky. The whole thing is a mess and yes, Israel is now the culprit. I don't understand why the so called free world is just turning a blind eye. I think there are some greedy forces behind this whole thing, pulling the strings. Life today is cheap and heaven forbid anyone who gets in the way. The world is going mad

You've written some true things, particularly the bolded.

It seems sensible to despair most days.

I don't think it is new or modern. It's that we have a much broader range of media and social media than we used to.

That’s alright, I think things are worse in a number of ways.

Larger problems, greater unwillingness and inability to address them.

Hmmm... .
What’s even worse is people believe that Israel left their border totally unprotected on October 7th. And also believe that Israel’s famed Iron Dome of defence was down on the exact same day. Turn it up. They shot down nearly every missile & drone that got near them when Iran retaliated. But all those Hamas rockets got through no problem. Yeah right!
Israel is never ever taken by surprise. Their intelligence capabilities are as good as it gets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The family home of the founder of the Burgertory chain, Palestinian activist Hash Tayeh, was firebombed last week, the second time in the past five months that arsonists attacked a property connected to him.

A Molotov cocktail was thrown at Tayeh’s house in Templestowe Lower about 4am on Friday, setting his front door alight.

A Burgertory outlet in Caulfield North was torched in November.
The latest incident was captured by two security cameras at the property. Footage showed a lone man standing at the edge of the driveway before igniting a bottle and throwing it.

No one was injured, but Tayeh said the petrol bomb struck just below the bedroom of his two-year-old son.
In a post on Instagram, he labelled the firebombing as either terrorism or a hate crime.

“On Thursday after our Flinders Street rally, in the dead of night, while my family and I slept, our home became a target of terror. A firebomb, a weapon of hate, threatened the safety of my innocent two-year-old son, burning directly beneath his bedroom.”

In a video recorded at a demonstration on Sunday and posted to Instagram, Tayeh demanded police hold the people responsible for the fire to account and asked supporters to “amplify his voice”.

“The police have failed to protect this community. There have been so many attacks, not just against me, but against so many of us and now this has hit home and bombs were thrown at my house.”

Tayeh declined to comment and referred The Age to his lawyer.

Police said they were investigating after the front door of a home was damaged in Templestowe Lower on Friday, April 19.

“It is believed an unknown offender threw what appears to have been a Molotov cocktail at the front of a house about 4am,” a spokesperson said.

“A 33-year-old man, his wife and child were home at the time, but no one was injured.”
“The offender set fire to the item before throwing it. However, it only caused minor damage to the door.”

Hey Zevvy this one belongs on the crimes board. :p
I know I got lambasted on here for being skeptical (And I was right) that something stunk about the burgetory blaze, but some dude has had his house firebombed and I have sympathy in fact my sympathy is in the deficits. Whilst mere mortals work their little hearts out paying there share of tax contributing to society you have slugs like Tash who embodies the toothless tiger as to do whatever it takes to get ahead. Zero sympathy. Come at me... Again!

Hey Zevvy this one belongs on the crimes board. :p
I know I got lambasted on here for being skeptical (And I was right) that something stunk about the burgetory blaze, but some dude has had his house firebombed and I have sympathy in fact my sympathy is in the deficits. Whilst mere mortals work their little hearts out paying there share of tax contributing to society you have slugs like Tash who embodies the toothless tiger as to do whatever it takes to get ahead. Zero sympathy. Come at me... Again!
A window into a sad existence

Don't they?
To be fair, posters in this thread have complained about the lack of coverage the war in Israel/Gaza received compared to Ukraine in its early days. I've seen people enraged about the coverage of (or lack there of) of Yemen at the time Russia invaded Ukraine in 2022. When we talk about agendas a legitimate response is who the funk doesn't have an agenda. Activists give a lot more time, in my view it's 99 per cent of their time into the Gaza conflict than say Ukraine or Sudan. So Zev does have a point, but I know in this thread people don't like to concede.

The abuse and put downs I receive in this thread is a disgrace btw! You won't be spoiling my holidays! The snark in this thread, people need to do better in here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back