Past Amon Buchanan (2010-2012)

Remove this Banner Ad

NEAFL Round 15 vs GWS

[FONT=&quot]Amon Buchanan burrowed under the packs and ensured the Lions won their share of clearances.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“We all appreciate how he goes about it week in, week out when clearly younger blokes are getting games in front of him with the direction the club is taking,” Clarke said. “You’ve got to be admired for that.”[/FONT]

buchanan15.jpg

Jade Rawlings

16 weeks of consistency now and he’s finally been rewarded. He’s held his nerve really well. It’s difficult with the situation where the team isn’t going that well, being a mature age player, sometimes you are seen as not being the future. But he’s consistently performed in competitiveness, and spiritually. He’s really bought into what we’re trying to do as a club this year and also how Nathan Clarke wants the reserves to play. He comes in at a good time. Amon’s probably been a form player for a long time. He comes in and will be a pretty hungry player I would have thought.

buchanan3.jpg

I have been wondering if at least part of the reason Buchanan was held back for so long was to get his body absolutely right. My recollection (and I haven’t check this) is that he has a long history going back to his time at the Swans of minor injuries and not seeing out games. Maybe his best football has come when he is not carrying any little niggles and the club wanted to see what impact he could have “fully fit”.

At his best he went close to winning a Norm Smith medal. I remember being really impressed with his work rate in that grand final.

Anyway I hope for Amon’s sake, and to allow the club to truly assess his potential to contribute next year, that he gets a couple of full games.

Re: North Melbourne v Brisbane Lions

Buchanan with 10 possessions and 34 dream team points in 1 quarter and 4 mins. Was playing a good inside and outside game too. Hopefully he gets to play a whole game next week.

Amon may have been ripping it up in the reserves, but his mistakes are killing us in the seniors. He's probably still adjusting to the change in tempo, but his hurt factor (on his own team) is just too great to keep persevering with IMO.

I used to rate him higher than what he was given credit for when he was at Sydney, but any mojo he once had seems well and truly gone.

I used to rate him higher than what he was given credit for when he was at Sydney, but any mojo he once had seems well and truly gone.

Know what you mean there Grim. I remember the half he played at the start of last season before he broke his thumb being very good, but for some reason he couldn't get back tot hat once he came back.

Might be more to do with having a blinder for that half rather than actually being able to produce that effort consistently.

Know what you mean there Grim. I remember the half he played at the start of last season before he broke his thumb being very good, but for some reason he couldn't get back tot hat once he came back.

Might be more to do with having a blinder for that half rather than actually being able to produce that effort consistently.

When I heard we had secured his services I thought that he wasn't a bad pick up. A harden body in the guts to block and create space, but like you say apart from the odd good patch he has been disappointing. It is like mentally he is already beaten before he gets on the park. Ah well I'll put that one in the Wrong file.

I agree with the hurt factor comment. He is very much a 'win the hard ball then handball' type of guy. I can't help but think that playing Amon is stopping Harwood from developing, as this seems to be his strong suit.

In saying all that, I love the way he has gone about it in the magoo's the past month or so. Given he has another year on his contract (I'm fairly certain) I do think there could be a place for him in the side whilst our list is developing over the next 18 months - especially if Power calls it quits. Sides like Richmond & Melbourne have shown what happens with a lack of big bodies around the ball. Having a couple of older, bigger bodies around the ball can often aid the development and confidence of the younger players.

I agree with the hurt factor comment. He is very much a 'win the hard ball then handball' type of guy. I can't help but think that playing Amon is stopping Harwood from developing, as this seems to be his strong suit.

In saying all that, I love the way he has gone about it in the magoo's the past month or so. Given he has another year on his contract (I'm fairly certain) I do think there could be a place for him in the side whilst our list is developing over the next 18 months - especially if Power calls it quits. Sides like Richmond & Melbourne have shown what happens with a lack of big bodies around the ball. Having a couple of older, bigger bodies around the ball can often aid the development and confidence of the younger players.

There is all of that, and they're all good points too, but, if both he & Raines play in the same side it doubles the turnover rate. To me, at least Raines has the cookies because of his ability to tag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was one who was keen for him to get a go in the seniors as reward for his reserves form. His game last week was pretty bad so I would be quite happy now to give Harwood a go instead. Having said that, I would also be ok with him getting one more chance in the seniors. After all he has only had one and a half games there.

NEAFL Round 20 vs Gold Coast Reserves

[FONT=&quot]The Lions started well, with Amon Buchanan and Josh Dyson busy in the midfield.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]While Buchanan and Dyson were still winning a glut of midfield ball, past experience convinced Clarke to lock down on the Suns.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Rowan Bewick kicked two goals for the Lions before leaving at three-quarter-time as the senior emergency, but Buchanan covered with an outstanding four quarter performance.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“Amon had a lot of the footy - his reckless attack on the footy was inspiring,” Clarke said.[/FONT]

buchanan18.jpg

Best Players

1. A. Buchanan
2. J. Dyson
3. B. McCauley
4. C. Bernasconi
5. D. Rich
6. R. Newell

Nathan Clarke

“Amon Buchanan and Ryan Harwood were exceptional with their hard-ball gets and clearances.”

Going? Going? Gone!
Rohan Connolly
August 26, 2011

Then there are those whose careers appear to have been cut short by generational change, injury, or both. It's a couple of Black's Lions teammates, Amon Buchanan and Xavier Clarke, who can best relate to that. Clarke, 27, whose injury curse followed him from St Kilda to Brisbane, has played just one game for the Lions in two seasons, a foot problem the latest obstacle. Buchanan, nearly 29, managed a dozen games for Brisbane last year, but has appeared just four times this season.
The club they entered bears little resemblance to the side they're not part of now, Brisbane having handed debuts to no fewer than 11 players this season, most of whom look like ''keepers''.

buchanan15.jpg

I'm a bit torn with Amon. I'm a huge X Clarke fan (as most people probably know by now) but I've accepted that his body just can't cope sadly and he probably needs to go. With Amon he's not going to set the seniors on fire but he's handy depth and is AMAZING in the reserves and must be helping some of the younger players develop. I say keep him for another year for depth and development purposes.

Does anyone know for sure his contract status?

Round 24 vs Sydney

However coach John Longmire will be nervously awaiting an injury update on key midfielder Ryan O'Keefe, who left the field late in the fourth term clutching his left shoulder after a jarring bump from former teammate Amon Buchanan.

I must say, I was really impressed with Amon's aggression and tenacity at the ball and think we really could have used him from the start of the game. I know he only played a quarter and a half or so, but I really liked what I saw and thought he used the ball pretty well. Not sure it may have been enough to save his career, but full credit to him today, one of the best efforts, if not the best effort, from a sub in 22 games this year.:thumbsu:

I must say, I was really impressed with Amon's aggression and tenacity at the ball and think we really could have used him from the start of the game. I know he only played a quarter and a half or so, but I really liked what I saw and thought he used the ball pretty well. Not sure it may have been enough to save his career, but full credit to him today, one of the best efforts, if not the best effort, from a sub in 22 games this year.:thumbsu:
I think his ball use is his achilles heal, his tenacity and fearlessness his biggest assets.

hope that was a mons last game
no hard feelings to this guy
if power was told surely this man is finished as well

Michael Voss

Amon Buchanan came on late, I know he’s probably more in the older brigade, but his impact on the contest was superb. He was making a few people a bit nervous including our own players I think at one stage.

buchanan14.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back