Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only problem is that unless the AFL want to increase the rounds in the fixture as a result of future expansion of the league (might happen who knows), each club will only have 11 home games meaning in Tasmania's case, Hobart will have 6 home games & Launceston will have 5 home games and vice versa for the following year.

The only possible logic is that the AFL decide to expand the season to 24 matches so each team has 12 home games making it an equal spilt for Hobart & Launceston supporters of the Tasmanian AFL team, which could happen if the AFL wants to keep the league to 19 teams only, and not add a 20th license in the short-term future, otherwise the AFL will most likely have a shortened season to allow each team to play each other one + rival round and Hobart & Launceston which then only allow 5 home games for both of the cities.
How is that a problem? 6/5 one year and 5/6 the next. The plan is for a 27500 stadium in Launceston so 5 x big games and finals there, six in Hobart is how I would do it.

How is that a problem? 6/5 one year and 5/6 the next. The plan is for a 27500 stadium in Launceston so 5 x big games and finals there, six in Hobart is how I would do it.
I'm a perfectionist who wants everything to be equal in the world jk 😂😂😂

Nah being serious, I think your right in that's the best way of doing it with having the 5x biggest games + finals in Launceston while the rest in Hobart for the foundations of the club's history at the very least. I would love the Tasmania Government though in 20-30 years time to build a much better stadium in Hobart to like 35-40,000 capacity stadium compared to what Bellerive Oval is currently, but for right now, I would stick with good idea/opinion as it is the most knowledge one out of both of us :)

I still like the idea that I read, that a Tasmanian team makes 19 teams in the comp and a bye each week. But makes Thursday night footy viable.

The team with the bye plays on the Thursday night against one of the two teams that played on the previous Friday night. Taking away the issue of a team having to play on a Saturday and then a Thursday.

That gives the broadcast deal the incentive of a weekly Thursday game that they seem to love.

Every team gets 11 home and away games and 2 byes over a 23 round season.

15 teams get a bye during round 12 with each other and 1 stand-alone bye. And the other 4 teams get 2 stand-alone byes with 1 of them being in rounds 10, 11, 13 and 14, to split up all the other teams byes. Although, now that I have typed that, I don’t think the maths adds up on byes and rounds.

So it’s been bothering me all afternoon why the maths didn’t add up on the number of byes and the rounds. I don’t think anyone else actually cares…

Well I worked it out (and it should have been obvious), but you would need to have a 24 round season (11 home, 11 away, 2 byes), and not 23 rounds.

So it’s been bothering me all afternoon why the maths didn’t add up on the number of byes and the rounds. I don’t think anyone else actually cares…

Well I worked it out (and it should have been obvious), but you would need to have a 24 round season (11 home, 11 away, 2 byes), and not 23 rounds.

A lot of things become obvious, once you figure them out, or someone else does. ;)

That says plenty about attitudes to the national comp & leadership.

Eh? Tassie played a Victorian second 18 in 1990 as the first team was due to play WA the next day. Can't be in two places at once. Nothing to do with attitudes or leadership but carry on.

Eh? Tassie played a Victorian second 18 in 1990 as the first team was due to play WA the next day. Can't be in two places at once. Nothing to do with attitudes or leadership but carry on.

Despite the draft system, it'd still be much easier Picking a 2nd XViii out of 10 local clubs with 400 odd players than picking a team from no local clubs & less opportunity for local players to get a look in, in the first place.

But 'carry on' ;)

Despite the draft system, it'd still be much easier Picking a 2nd XViii out of 10 local clubs with 400 odd players than picking a team from no local clubs & less opportunity for local players to get a look in, in the first place.

But 'carry on' ;)

If you've followed my posts in this thread you'd see I've said if it were up to me you'd have your own team, but hey pot away.

The same as the fact we've had changes of government since the Hawks started here. Jim Bacon, labor, was premier back then.

None of these obvious points would matter to Telsor ;)

As I've said several times.

F1 GP, and current AFL games in Tas, the deal is simple...you pay, the deal/event continues and the state/government gets the benefits (tourism, profile, etc). Stop paying, and no more games/GP.

Add a permanent Tas team, and that situation ends. If you stop paying, the license continues, so all the benefits (games, tourism, etc) continue.
So why would the Tas government continue to pay for what they get anyway?

But of course, this obvious point eludes madmug. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Helps when you get the most disproportionate slice of the GST pie.
If the Feds ever cut it to what it should be there would be a massive hole in the State budget.
Until Bitmain relocates it's mining infrastructure to Tas hydro.
Or until our federal reserve or Superannuation funds wake up, and start investing in the new renewable decentralised financial system.

But eh, you wouldn't understand.

If you've followed my posts in this thread you'd see I've said if it were up to me you'd have your own team, but hey pot away.

Thats fine, I'm not trying to 'pot' any one. Well, not many people anyway. ;)

I was just making a point. A rather obvious point I'd have thought.

It gets back to equity of opportunity.

Having, seen so many go off to play in SA, VFL & NEAFL to 'get noticed' shows the lack of opportunity underfunding has caused to young lads overall here in Tasmania.

The patched together state of Origin team of 1990 did a great job.
As I've said several times.

F1 GP, and current AFL games in Tas, the deal is simple...you pay, the deal/event continues and the state/government gets the benefits (tourism, profile, etc). Stop paying, and no more games/GP.

Add a permanent Tas team, and that situation ends. If you stop paying, the license continues, so all the benefits (games, tourism, etc) continue.
So why would the Tas government continue to pay for what they get anyway?

But of course, this obvious point eludes madmug. ;)

Because of a little CONTRACT.

But of course, this obvious little point continues to elude. Telsor. ;)

A higher proportion of people in Kalgoorlie would engage if you put a team there....but 100% of not enough is still not enough.

Its 2020 not 1920.

The league was formed during a meeting held in the Great Boulder Hotel, Kalgoorlie, on 29 July 1896 as the Hannans District Football Association. The association at this point comprised four teams; Boulder City, based in Boulder; Hannans, now known as Kalgoorlie City and based in Kalgoorlie; Victorians, also based in Kalgoorlie; and White Feather, based in Kanowna. Up until the end of the First World War the GFL was considered equal on ability with the WAFL, and a State Championship was contested 12 times between 1903 and 1924, with Goldfields sides winning twice, in 1903 and 1912.[2] The league also had a seat and full voting rights on the Australian National Football Council until 1919, but participated together with the WAFL as Western Australia in inter-state and inter-colonial matches. The 1904 Western Australian inter-state touring team included seven GFL players, and half of the 1908 Melbourne Carnival team were GFL players, including the captain Billy Trewhella.[3]

Edit for telsor ;)
The Tiges grabbed Dave Cuzens out of Kal in the 50s

Last edited:
This is spot on. North going north would give Gold Coast the same boost Brisbane got when they became the Lions. However, any partnership would need to be way more in favour of North. I.e. the reverse of Brisbane Lions. GC Kangaroos in north jumpers, North song, history, etc. like the Swans but just put a small Sun somewhere on the jumper. Kangaroos academy and eight games in Melbourne, and more incentives would be required to get North to even think about it. Tassie gets their own team. GC become a real club. Everybody wins.
Except North fans. So let’s face it, it ain’t gonna happen.
Team 19 or nothing.

Why keep GCS name at all?

The North Kangaroos literally works perfectly.

But the Roos are making money. The AFL wont be able to shift them.

If they just shift the Suns to Tasmania we won't have to worry about finals ;)
Unfortunately The Suns arnt going nowhere.
TV Rights run the AFL and there will be always 2 teams in QLD 2 teams in NSW
2 teams in WA and 2 teams in SA the rest will be in Victoria.
What will happen by 2030 the AFL will be an 20 team competition with Tasmania in or either a 3rd QLD -Cairns or a 3rd WA team.

ratings data was freely available on regtam. But i mean hey ive only been researching and looking at it for a decade, so what the fu** would i know. Before calling stuff out as misinformation and calling people liars, perhaps be more aquainted with the actual data and stop taking the tasmanian governments "you owe us, give me a team" report.
Gee whiz you are precious i asked if you had facts to back to up your claim how’s that calling someone a liar which I do not appreciate as you don’t when it’s directed at you 🤭 yes I’m aware there is plenty of data on tv ratings that only tells part of a story though. my point is I’m pretty sure you are not on personal terms with the executives of the major tv networks and know exactly how they view Tasmania so it’s your opinion nothing more your making it out like it’s a undisputed fact!

It’s still taking a unneeded swipe at Tasmanian football even Victoria’s second string side was a very good team Tasmania beating that team showed the strength of Tasmanian football in 1990 compared to today where a Tasmanian state team would get flogged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back