AFL reaps $80m from Gather Round deal

Remove this Banner Ad

Walshawk was correct a few weeks back (in some other thread I can't remember) that you necessarily need an even number of games when you have an uneven number of teams. It has to be either 22 games or 24 games when Tasmania comes in (until team 20 comes in). This is mathematically necessarily the case - you cannot solve it with extra byes

I already thought it was going to 24 games per team, probably with an extra gather round. Teen Wolf's highlighting of the AFLPA concession in the negotiations has convinced me of that. It will be a 24 game (26 round) season by 2028
That would mean either starting in Feb, or starting the first week of March and pushing the GF into September. It would make the season four weeks longer than it was until 2016.

Walshawk was correct a few weeks back (in some other thread I can't remember) that you necessarily need an even number of games when you have an uneven number of teams. It has to be either 22 games or 24 games when Tasmania comes in (until team 20 comes in). This is mathematically necessarily the case - you cannot solve it with extra byes

Negative.

1991 was a 165 game season (11 games x 15 teams)
1992 was a 165 game season (11 games x 15 teams)
1994 was a 165 game season (11 games x 15 teams)

Also this was the last time we had an uneven number of teams, so the only evidence we have to hand suggests it very much CAN be done with an uneven numnber of games.

I already thought it was going to 24 games per team, probably with an extra gather round. Teen Wolf's highlighting of the AFLPA concession in the negotiations has convinced me of that. It will be a 24 game (26 round) season by 2028

That means an extended season, it does not necessarily mean more games per team.

Negative.

Also this was the last time we had an uneven number of teams, so the only evidence we have to hand suggests it very much CAN be done with an uneven numnber of games.
It's not the total number of games that have to be even. But since each game must involve two teams, the total number of games x 2 ("spots", let's say) must be even.

15 teams x 22 games = 330 spots (165-match H&A season, i.e. 1994)
17 teams x 22 games = 374 spots (187-match H&A season, i.e. 2011)
19 teams x 23 games = 437 spots (218.5-match H&A season, which can't be done)

Last edited:

It's not the total number of games that have to be even. But since each game must involve two teams, the total number of games x 2 ("spots", let's say) must be even.

Positive!

I thought it was obvious I was referring to the number of games each team plays. The total number of games actually has to be an odd number if you have an even number of teams. But each team must play an even number of games is the point

That would mean either starting in Feb, or starting the first week of March and pushing the GF into September.

Which is what they will do on the seasons that is necessary (this year you could play the GF on the 30th of September and start on thursday the 3rd of March and still have the prefinals bye)

It would make the season four weeks longer than it was until 2016.

Sure, but they will do it.

They are leaving money on the table under current arrangements. No reason they can't play from the start of March if the players are on board with the extra games

Negative.

That means an extended season, it does not necessarily mean more games per team.
‘An even number of games’ means games played by each team. I.e. 22 or 24, which was what we were discussing In regards to adding a 23rd games for GR, which cannot be done.

Positive!

I thought it was obvious I was referring to the number of games each team plays. The total number of games actually has to be an odd number if you have an even number of teams. But each team must play an even number of games is the point

Which is what they will do on the seasons that is necessary (this year you could play the GF on the 30th of September and start on thursday the 3rd of March and still have the prefinals bye)

Sure, but they will do it.

They are leaving money on the table under current arrangements. No reason they can't play from the start of March if the players are on board with the extra games
Only if they renegotiate the broadcast agreements. And only if they can access most stadiums.

I feel like this is one of those Facebook/TikTok brain teaser videos which suggest 1 + 1 = 3. But they actually used the wrong figures.

I think the problem is you need to think of it as always being an even number of teams. It is just that one of the teams happens to be ‘bye’. And you set up the season for every team having 2 bye’s.

So for the first 19 rounds, everyone plays each other once and has a bye. Resulting in 18 games and 1 bye each.

You then have rounds 20-24 (which is five rounds) where 14 teams will play 5 games (23 games for the season). 5 teams will have a bye in each of these rounds and will only play 4 games (22 games for the season).

You then have a round 25 to make up the difference, where those 5 teams play a game against one of the other teams… oh… you would have 1 team left over still on 22 games…

Last edited:
I feel like this is one of those Facebook/TikTok brain teaser videos which suggest 1 + 1 = 3. But they actually used the wrong figures.

I think the problem is you need to think of it as always being an even number of teams. It is just that one of the teams happens to be ‘bye’. And you set up the season for every team having 2 bye’s.

So for the first 19 rounds, 18 teams play and 1 team has a bye. Everyone plays once and has a bye.

You then have rounds 20-24 (which is five rounds) where 14 teams will play 5 games (23 games for the season) and 5 teams will only play 4 games (22 for the season).

You then have a round 25 to make up the difference, where those 5 teams play a game against one of the other teams… oh… you would have 1 team left over still on 22 games…
Why do 14 teams have to play 5 games? Can't they all receive a bye in that time?

Of course they aren't but that is a particularly glib point which I am surprised you are making given you seem one of the more reasoned posters around here.

Tourism numbers are the key driver of the value of these "sellable" events. Pretty much every sport does it. Before the Gather Round concept, the AFL had pretty much nothing but a small number of fringe "little club" matches to sell to smaller jurisdictions and regions.

If the Gather round starts pulling 100K across borders (like they are apparently expecting next year), the value will be massive in 2027. The AFL gets no explicit dividend from state governments for the 100s of thousands who travel for games through the season and finals

That's a financial return for the AFL only to the extent that there is a government willing to pay for it. I'll grant you that it gives the AFL a sellable event, but then they ****ed it up by not putting it out for open tender.

100k tourists is going to be virtually impossible in Adelaide as there isn't the accommodation.

But the direct financial input from governments is really all that it has going for it. When it's in a place like Adelaide it doesn't promote the game.

That's a financial return for the AFL only to the extent that there is a government willing to pay for it. I'll grant you that it gives the AFL a sellable event, but then they ****ed it up by not putting it out for open tender.

They may not have done as well financially as if it had been put to open tender, but that didnt made the event unsuccessful.

When it's in a place like Adelaide it doesn't promote the game.

Rubbish. The sport competes in a growing market especially amongst young folks. The games, the festival, the clinics, the player appearances at local clubs, these all promote the game to folks, even in strong AFL territory.

They may not have done as well financially as if it had been put to open tender, but that didnt made the event unsuccessful.

Maybe.

There are certainly cases where that's true, like the GF at the MCG where there aren't equivilent options elsewhere, but I'm not sure that applies here. I doub they could have done a lot better elsewhere though, so another year or two would have been fine, with a clear message to other cities that if they wanted to bid higher than that for coming years, it would be welcomed. (I'd have preferred a rotation, but the AFL being the AFL, $$$ is the determining factor).

Rubbish. The sport competes in a growing market especially amongst young folks. The games, the festival, the clinics, the player appearances at local clubs, these all promote the game to folks, even in strong AFL territory.

Wherever they hold it, it will help promote and develop the game. No question.

I would have thought it would have a greater overall effect by rotating it though.

I didn't say it was unsuccessful, I said that it wasn't the raging success that it was made out to be.

OK, I probably should have said "doesn't promote the game anywhere near the level that it would in other cities".

So for the first 19 rounds, 18 teams play and 1 team has a bye. Everyone plays once and has a bye.

You then have rounds 20-24 (which is five rounds) where 14 teams will play 5 games (23 games for the season) and 5 teams will only play 4 games (22 for the season).

Why do 14 teams have to play 5 games? Can't they all receive a bye in that time?

For those 14 teams, you could extract 7 games from rounds 20-24 (one game with a pair of each of the 14 teams) and play them in round 25, but you still get left with that one team who plays one less game.

For them to play the same number of games as everyone else, someone else must play them and which means they play one more game than everyone else.

It seems like you need to have an even number of teams in the comp, or you need to have an even number of games in the season, or an even number of both.

You can’t have an odd number of teams in the comp and an odd number of games in the season and ensure every team has the same number of games.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those 14 teams, you could extract 7 games from rounds 20-24 (one game with a pair of each of the 14 teams) and play them in round 25, but you still get left with that one team who plays one less game.
No, you just add more byes. Two further teams go on bye in each of weeks 20, 21 and 22, then four further teams in weeks 23 and 24. Everyone ends on 22 games.

It seems like you need to have an even number of teams in the comp, or you need to have an even number of games in the season, or an even number of both.

You can’t have an odd number of teams in the comp and an odd number of games in the season and ensure every team has the same number of games.
Correct, I'm suggesting they all play 22 games. Teen Wolf was right. The simplest way to conceptualise is to talk about spots rather than games.

You can. Its literally been done 3 times before between the Crows starting and Freo joining. It just becomes a matter of juggling byes around the place. For example: 11 home games/209 games per season

RoundMatchesBye Teams
1​
9​
1​
2​
9​
1​
3​
9​
1​
4​
9​
1​
5​
9​
1​
6​
9​
1​
7​
8​
3​
8​
8​
3​
9​
8​
3​
10​
8​
3​
11​
9​
1​
12​
9​
1​
13​
9​
1​
14​
8​
3​
15​
8​
3​
16​
8​
3​
17​
9​
1​
18​
9​
1​
19​
9​
1​
20​
9​
1​
21​
9​
1​
22​
9​
1​
23​
9​
1​
24​
9​
1​
Total
209​
38​

Last edited:
You can. Its literally been done 3 times before between the Crows starting and Freo joining. It just becomes a matter of juggling byes around the place.
Once again: no you can't, and no it hasn't. That was 15 teams x 22 games. Not 15 x 11.

Simplest example: a 3-team league (odd number), with each team playing 1 game (also an odd number).

Team A plays Team B
Team C has nobody to play, can't be solved with byes.

It's the exact same problem for 3 teams x 1 game as it is for 19 teams x 23 games.

Once again: no you can't, and no it hasn't. That was 15 teams x 22 games. Not 15 x 11.

Dude just say you dont understand the fixturing process. 15 teams played 22 games - but only 11 home games = 165 matches. Not 330. You can verify that through AFltables if you need to.

Since 2012, with limited exceptions, there has been 198 games in the home and away season - this is 18 teams x 11 home games. Not 18 teams x 22 games each. Tasmania adds 11 games to that schedule.

Simplest example: a 3-team league (odd number), with each team playing 1 game (also an odd number).

Team A plays Team B
Team C has nobody to play, can't be solved with byes.

It's the exact same problem for 3 teams x 1 game as it is for 19 teams x 23 games.

Once again: it literally can. 5 minutes with an online fixture generator proves you can generate 19 teams x 11 home games each (playing 22 games each), with 2 byes each, in 24 rounds. See above.

Your mistake is the 22 games thing. The fixture is currently decided by 11 home games per team x 18 = 198 matches per season. Its not 18 teams x 22 matches. (396 matches)

Likewise its 19 teams x 11 home games = 209 matches. Not 19 x 22 matches (418 matches)

Proof: Fixture in PDF generated by 19 teams playing 22 games over 24 rounds.

Round 1
Sydney : North MelbourneGreater Western Sydney : Port Adelaide
Gold Coast : GeelongSt KIlda : Essendon
Tasmania : AdelaideCollingwood : Western Bulldogs
Melbourne : West CoastFremantle : Richmond

Round 2
Carlton : SydneyGreater Western Sydney : St KIlda
Adelaide : Western BulldogsGold Coast : West Coast
Hawthorn : North MelbourneEssendon : Port Adelaide
Geelong : RichmondFremantle : Melbourne
Greater Western Sydney : Tasmania

Round 3
Collingwood : CarltonRichmond : Gold Coast
West Coast : TasmaniaFremantle : Brisbane
Sydney : Greater Western SydneyWestern Bulldogs : Geelong
Hawthorn : St KIldaNorth Melbourne : Adelaide
Melbourne : Essendon

Round 4
Greater Western Sydney : CollingwoodTasmania : Richmond
Adelaide : St KIldaHawthorn : Sydney
Gold Coast : Western BulldogsCarlton : Fremantle
Port Adelaide : BrisbaneGeelong : North Melbourne

Round 5
Sydney : AdelaideNorth Melbourne : Gold Coast
Fremantle : Greater Western SydneyWestern Bulldogs : Tasmania
West Coast : Port AdelaideBrisbane : Essendon
Collingwood : HawthornMelbourne : Carlton

Round 6
Geelong : SydneyFremantle : Adelaide
Richmond : BrisbaneGold Coast : St KIlda
Western Bulldogs : Port AdelaideWest Coast : Essendon
Melbourne : HawthornCarlton : Greater Western Sydney

Round 7
Greater Western Sydney : HawthornGeelong : Fremantle
North Melbourne : BrisbaneCarlton : Adelaide
Melbourne : Port AdelaideTasmania : Sydney
Richmond : EssendonWestern Bulldogs : West Coast
Gold Coast : Collingwood

Round 8
Geelong : MelbourneCollingwood : Tasmania
Adelaide : Greater Western SydneyFremantle : Gold Coast
Richmond : Western BulldogsEssendon : Hawthorn
St KIlda : Port AdelaideWest Coast : North Melbourne

Round 9
Port Adelaide : SydneyGold Coast : Melbourne
Brisbane : St KIldaGeelong : Carlton
Western Bulldogs : EssendonCollingwood : West Coast
North Melbourne : RichmondTasmania : Fremantle
Hawthorn : Adelaide

Round 10
Collingwood : Port AdelaideGreater Western Sydney : Geelong
Sydney : BrisbaneMelbourne : Tasmania
Carlton : Gold CoastEssendon : Adelaide
North Melbourne : Western BulldogsSt KIlda : West Coast

Round 11
North Melbourne : EssendonPort Adelaide : Fremantle
Geelong : HawthornGold Coast : Greater Western Sydney
Brisbane : CollingwoodWest Coast : Sydney
Tasmania : CarltonRichmond : St KIlda

Round 12
West Coast : GeelongSt KIlda : Carlton
North Melbourne : Greater Western SydneySydney : Richmond
Richmond : AdelaideWestern Bulldogs : Hawthorn
Tasmania : BrisbaneEssendon : Fremantle
Melbourne : Collingwood

Round 13
Adelaide : HawthornGeelong : Greater Western Sydney
St KIlda : Western BulldogsPort Adelaide : Collingwood
Richmond : North MelbourneGold Coast : Carlton
West Coast : St KIldaBrisbane : Sydney
Tasmania : Melbourne

Round 14
Essendon : TasmaniaNorth Melbourne : Melbourne
Sydney : CollingwoodPort Adelaide : Geelong
Carlton : RichmondHawthorn : Gold Coast
Greater Western Sydney : West CoastSt KIlda : Fremantle
Brisbane : Adelaide

Round 15
Gold Coast : Port AdelaideFremantle : Sydney
Richmond : Greater Western SydneyGeelong : Brisbane
West Coast : HawthornMelbourne : St KIlda
Adelaide : GeelongWestern Bulldogs : Carlton
Essendon : Collingwood

Round 16
Essendon : North MelbourneTasmania : Greater Western Sydney
Gold Coast : HawthornRichmond : Sydney
Western Bulldogs : St KIldaWest Coast : Collingwood
Port Adelaide : MelbournePort Adelaide : Carlton
Brisbane : Fremantle

Round 17
Tasmania : Gold CoastAdelaide : Port Adelaide
Melbourne : Western BulldogsHawthorn : Brisbane
Fremantle : North MelbourneRichmond : Collingwood
West Coast : CarltonSydney : Essendon
Collingwood : St KIlda

Round 18
Sydney : Gold CoastEssendon : Greater Western Sydney
Port Adelaide : North MelbourneHawthorn : Carlton
Adelaide : MelbourneCollingwood : Geelong
Brisbane : Western BulldogsWest Coast : Fremantle
St KIlda : Tasmania

Round 19
Collingwood : BrisbaneHawthorn : Geelong
Adelaide : EssendonGreater Western Sydney : Gold Coast
Fremantle : Port AdelaideNorth Melbourne : St KIlda
Carlton : TasmaniaSydney : West Coast
St KIlda : Richmond

Round 20
Fremantle : West CoastAdelaide : Gold Coast
Collingwood : RichmondTasmania : Hawthorn
St KIlda : North MelbourneCarlton : Port Adelaide
Essendon : GeelongBrisbane : Melbourne
Western Bulldogs : Sydney

Round 21
Port Adelaide : HawthornSt KIlda : Sydney
Western Bulldogs : FremantleBrisbane : Greater Western Sydney
North Melbourne : CollingwoodCarlton : Brisbane
Richmond : MelbourneGeelong : Tasmania
Gold Coast : Adelaide

Round 22
Essendon : CarltonGreater Western Sydney : Melbourne
Port Adelaide : RichmondSt KIlda : Geelong
Sydney : Western BulldogsBrisbane : West Coast
Adelaide : CollingwoodHawthorn : Fremantle
Tasmania : North Melbourne

Round 23
Western Bulldogs : RichmondEssendon : Western Bulldogs
Hawthorn : EssendonFremantle : Tasmania
Melbourne : Gold CoastGreater Western Sydney : Adelaide
Carlton : GeelongNorth Melbourne : West Coast
Melbourne : Brisbane

Round 24
Adelaide : West CoastPort Adelaide : Tasmania
Geelong : EssendonSydney : Melbourne
Hawthorn : RichmondCollingwood : Fremantle
Brisbane : Gold CoastCarlton : North Melbourne
Greater Western Sydney : Western Bulldogs

Attachments

• draft fixture.pdf
    373.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Once again: it literally can. 5 minutes with an online fixture generator proves you can generate 19 teams x 11 home games each (playing 22 games each), with 2 byes each, in 24 rounds. See above.

Your mistake is the 22 games thing. The fixture is currently decided by 11 home games per team x 18 = 198 matches per season. Its not 18 teams x 22 matches. (396 matches)

Likewise its 19 teams x 11 home games = 209 matches. Not 19 x 22 matches (418 matches)

Proof: Fixture in PDF generated by 19 teams playing 22 games over 24 rounds.

Round 1
Sydney : North MelbourneGreater Western Sydney : Port Adelaide
Gold Coast : GeelongSt KIlda : Essendon
Tasmania : AdelaideCollingwood : Western Bulldogs
Melbourne : West CoastFremantle : Richmond

Round 2
Carlton : SydneyGreater Western Sydney : St KIlda
Adelaide : Western BulldogsGold Coast : West Coast
Hawthorn : North MelbourneEssendon : Port Adelaide
Geelong : RichmondFremantle : Melbourne
Greater Western Sydney : Tasmania

Round 3
Collingwood : CarltonRichmond : Gold Coast
West Coast : TasmaniaFremantle : Brisbane
Sydney : Greater Western SydneyWestern Bulldogs : Geelong
Hawthorn : St KIldaNorth Melbourne : Adelaide
Melbourne : Essendon

Round 4
Greater Western Sydney : CollingwoodTasmania : Richmond
Adelaide : St KIldaHawthorn : Sydney
Gold Coast : Western BulldogsCarlton : Fremantle
Port Adelaide : BrisbaneGeelong : North Melbourne

Round 5
Sydney : AdelaideNorth Melbourne : Gold Coast
Fremantle : Greater Western SydneyWestern Bulldogs : Tasmania
West Coast : Port AdelaideBrisbane : Essendon
Collingwood : HawthornMelbourne : Carlton

Round 6
Geelong : SydneyFremantle : Adelaide
Richmond : BrisbaneGold Coast : St KIlda
Western Bulldogs : Port AdelaideWest Coast : Essendon
Melbourne : HawthornCarlton : Greater Western Sydney

Round 7
Greater Western Sydney : HawthornGeelong : Fremantle
North Melbourne : BrisbaneCarlton : Adelaide
Melbourne : Port AdelaideTasmania : Sydney
Richmond : EssendonWestern Bulldogs : West Coast
Gold Coast : Collingwood

Round 8
Geelong : MelbourneCollingwood : Tasmania
Adelaide : Greater Western SydneyFremantle : Gold Coast
Richmond : Western BulldogsEssendon : Hawthorn
St KIlda : Port AdelaideWest Coast : North Melbourne

Round 9
Port Adelaide : SydneyGold Coast : Melbourne
Brisbane : St KIldaGeelong : Carlton
Western Bulldogs : EssendonCollingwood : West Coast
North Melbourne : RichmondTasmania : Fremantle
Hawthorn : Adelaide

Round 10
Collingwood : Port AdelaideGreater Western Sydney : Geelong
Sydney : BrisbaneMelbourne : Tasmania
Carlton : Gold CoastEssendon : Adelaide
North Melbourne : Western BulldogsSt KIlda : West Coast

Round 11
North Melbourne : EssendonPort Adelaide : Fremantle
Geelong : HawthornGold Coast : Greater Western Sydney
Brisbane : CollingwoodWest Coast : Sydney
Tasmania : CarltonRichmond : St KIlda

Round 12
West Coast : GeelongSt KIlda : Carlton
North Melbourne : Greater Western SydneySydney : Richmond
Richmond : AdelaideWestern Bulldogs : Hawthorn
Tasmania : BrisbaneEssendon : Fremantle
Melbourne : Collingwood

Round 13
Adelaide : HawthornGeelong : Greater Western Sydney
St KIlda : Western BulldogsPort Adelaide : Collingwood
Richmond : North MelbourneGold Coast : Carlton
West Coast : St KIldaBrisbane : Sydney
Tasmania : Melbourne

Round 14
Essendon : TasmaniaNorth Melbourne : Melbourne
Sydney : CollingwoodPort Adelaide : Geelong
Carlton : RichmondHawthorn : Gold Coast
Greater Western Sydney : West CoastSt KIlda : Fremantle
Brisbane : Adelaide

Round 15
Gold Coast : Port AdelaideFremantle : Sydney
Richmond : Greater Western SydneyGeelong : Brisbane
West Coast : HawthornMelbourne : St KIlda
Adelaide : GeelongWestern Bulldogs : Carlton
Essendon : Collingwood

Round 16
Essendon : North MelbourneTasmania : Greater Western Sydney
Gold Coast : HawthornRichmond : Sydney
Western Bulldogs : St KIldaWest Coast : Collingwood
Port Adelaide : MelbournePort Adelaide : Carlton
Brisbane : Fremantle

Round 17
Tasmania : Gold CoastAdelaide : Port Adelaide
Melbourne : Western BulldogsHawthorn : Brisbane
Fremantle : North MelbourneRichmond : Collingwood
West Coast : CarltonSydney : Essendon
Collingwood : St KIlda

Round 18
Sydney : Gold CoastEssendon : Greater Western Sydney
Port Adelaide : North MelbourneHawthorn : Carlton
Adelaide : MelbourneCollingwood : Geelong
Brisbane : Western BulldogsWest Coast : Fremantle
St KIlda : Tasmania

Round 19
Collingwood : BrisbaneHawthorn : Geelong
Adelaide : EssendonGreater Western Sydney : Gold Coast
Fremantle : Port AdelaideNorth Melbourne : St KIlda
Carlton : TasmaniaSydney : West Coast
St KIlda : Richmond

Round 20
Fremantle : West CoastAdelaide : Gold Coast
Collingwood : RichmondTasmania : Hawthorn
St KIlda : North MelbourneCarlton : Port Adelaide
Essendon : GeelongBrisbane : Melbourne
Western Bulldogs : Sydney

Round 21
Port Adelaide : HawthornSt KIlda : Sydney
Western Bulldogs : FremantleBrisbane : Greater Western Sydney
North Melbourne : CollingwoodCarlton : Brisbane
Richmond : MelbourneGeelong : Tasmania
Gold Coast : Adelaide

Round 22
Essendon : CarltonGreater Western Sydney : Melbourne
Port Adelaide : RichmondSt KIlda : Geelong
Sydney : Western BulldogsBrisbane : West Coast
Adelaide : CollingwoodHawthorn : Fremantle
Tasmania : North Melbourne

Round 23
Western Bulldogs : RichmondEssendon : Western Bulldogs
Hawthorn : EssendonFremantle : Tasmania
Melbourne : Gold CoastGreater Western Sydney : Adelaide
Carlton : GeelongNorth Melbourne : West Coast
Melbourne : Brisbane

Round 24
Adelaide : West CoastPort Adelaide : Tasmania
Geelong : EssendonSydney : Melbourne
Hawthorn : RichmondCollingwood : Fremantle
Brisbane : Gold CoastCarlton : North Melbourne
Greater Western Sydney : Western Bulldogs
We are all well aware that you can have 19 teams with 11 home games and 11 away games, i.e. 19 x 22. This is not being disputed.

This has nothing to do with the addition of Gather Round in a 19-team comp, which will result in 18 teams with 11 home games, 11 away games, 1 GR game (23 in total) AND 1 team with 11 home games, 11 away games, 0 GR games (22 in total).

We are all well aware that you can have 19 teams with 11 home games and 11 away games, i.e. 19 x 22. This is not being disputed.

This has nothing to do with the addition of Gather Round in a 19-team comp, which will result in 18 teams with 11 home games, 11 away games, 1 GR game (23 in total) AND 1 team with 11 home games, 11 away games, 0 GR games (22 in total).

Someone will miss out and the world will not end. The NRL literally did this on the weekend. The AFL already noted that Gather Round is not counted as a home game for any team.

Someone will miss out and the world will not end. The NRL literally did this on the weekend. The AFL already noted that Gather Round is not counted as a home game for any team.
Sorry dude but you're totally missing the point.

At the end of the season, the ladder needs to show that all teams have played the same number of games. Whether it's 22, 23 or 24.

You can. Its literally been done 3 times before between the Crows starting and Freo joining. It just becomes a matter of juggling byes around the place. For example: 11 home games/209 games per season

Sorry wookie, I’m not talking about every team having an odd or even number of ‘home games’.

I’m taking about every team can’t play an odd number of games in the season (home, away or neutral location). Whether it be teams play 19 games, 21 games, 23 games etc. In instances that there is an odd number of teams as well.

So come the end of the season, and looking at the ladder, where it says every team has played 23 games, with however many wins and losses and draws.

If you arrange for the teams to have an odd number of games in the season, one team will have played one less game. And that potentially means they have had one less chance to win premiership points and therefore may miss finals as a result of playing less games in the season.

Last edited:
Food-related spending was down this month, with falls in both cafes, restaurants and takeaway food services (-0.2 per cent) and food retailing (-0.1 per cent). Food retailing recorded its first fall following 13 straight monthly rises.

“The modest fall in food-related spending comes after a period of consistent growth driven largely by high food inflation,” Mr Dorber said.

“Spending at cafes, restaurants and takeaway food services remains at a particularly high level despite the fall in April, with turnover up 13.3 per cent compared to this time last year.”

"Spending has also been boosted by the return of large-scale sporting and cultural events.”

There were mixed results across the states and territories with four falls and three rises, while the Northern Territory remained unchanged.

Tasmania (-1.5 per cent) recorded the largest drop, followed by falls in New South Wales, Victoria, and the Australian Capital Territory. The largest rise was recorded in Western Australia (+1.0 per cent) followed by smaller rises in South Australia and Queensland.

“Turnover is at a record level in South Australia following three straight rises of 0.6 per cent and boosted by the inaugural AFL Gather Round and LIV Golf Adelaide tournament this month,” Mr Dorber said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back