AFL Gather Round - now announced for Adelaide through 2026.

Remove this Banner Ad

Perhaps the magic round, and rotating it between the states that aren’t Victoria, is a sneaky way by the AFL to get the states to bid for a big AFL tourist event, and to quell the complaints every year about the grand final being contracted to Victoria.
Yeah I think that’s it. Plus $$$.

Another go at what the magic round fixture could look like for Sydney:

Friday: Geelong v Richmond/Port v Gold Coast/Carlton v St Kilda SCG

Saturday: Sydney v Collingwood/Essendon v Melbourne/Fremantle v Brisbane Accor

Sunday: GWS v W. Bulldogs/West Coast v North/Hawthorn v Adelaide Giants Stadium

Yeah I think that’s it. Plus $$$.

Another go at what the magic round fixture could look like for Sydney:

Friday: Geelong v Richmond/Port v Gold Coast/Carlton v St Kilda SCG

Saturday: Sydney v Collingwood/Essendon v Melbourne/Fremantle v Brisbane Accor

Sunday: GWS v W. Bulldogs/West Coast v North/Hawthorn v Adelaide Giants Stadium
No point starting a game at 2.30pm on a Friday. There would be no one at the game and no one at home to watch it.

no fields in non cricket playing countries

You obviously don't know about the Fosters Cup or thought about the proliferation of Olympic stadia.

too expensive for Aussie fans to travel

That's not the idea of things but fans did travel to Wellington.
if there is no atmosphere at games they can be boring and it doesn't advertise the product well

Games in Japan, UK, USA and Canada were well attended. Add N.Z.

I would prefer Craig Hutchison's suggestion of actually paying international broadcasters to put the two best matches of the week on tv replayed.

I don't know why the AFL couldn't/wouldn't be more pro-active in but part of it might be getting money from the AFL pass.
I would only bother doing this into the u.s, u.k and India

Canada is actually the biggest market and holds the record O/S attendance of 32k if i remember rightly.
India/Pakistan is a big potential. Even Sri Lanka.

I would be doing scouting camps there like they did in the U.S and Ireland.

They're called "combines" and already happen.
The first winter sport to capture the attention of the Indian expat community in Australia, will explode.

It's all about business in India.

No point starting a game at 2.30pm on a Friday. There would be no one at the game and no one at home to watch it.
How would you schedule it? 2 games Friday, 4 Saturday, 3 Sunday? Quadruple header at Accor because it has the biggest crowd capacity?

Two at Giants stadium (5.15 and 7.45-8 start times?) and 3 at the SCG on Sunday? It’ll be interesting to see the schedule if it happens.

How would you schedule it? 2 games Friday, 4 Saturday, 3 Sunday? Quadruple header at Accor because it has the biggest crowd capacity?

Two at Giants stadium (5.15 and 7.45-8 start times?) and 3 at the SCG on Sunday? It’ll be interesting to see the schedule if it happens.
Giants stadium can’t be used due to the Easter Show. Hensen Park is still waiting on it‘s upgrade. Blacktown would be a ghost town and Nth Sydney has a tree in the pocket. Tough one if they get it in 2023.

If it was to be in Perth. The three stadiums would be Perth Stadium, WACA Ground and Leederville Oval as circled in red.

Which works well with the three main hotel districts of Elizabeth Quay, East Perth and Burswood as circled in blue.

And the yellow line represents the Joondalup and Armadale Lines which would have the nearest stations to both the stadiums and venues.

IMG_1341.JPG

All of this within a 2.5km radius of the GPO.

Apart from expats living overseas very few would pay to watch it, and it certainly wouldn't cover the expenses.

Well history blows those comments completely out of the water.
The AFL has had decent crowds out of Australia for some considerable time.
Another pathetic attempt at trolling from you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well history blows those comments completely out of the water.
The AFL has had decent crowds out of Australia for some considerable time.
Another pathetic attempt at trolling from you.
How much to think it will cost to send to 2 teams to Canada to play a regular season round with flights, hotels and hire of the ground?
Do you seriously think the Crickets authorities in England and Wales are going to let others sports be played on there ovals in the NH summer?
Do you think Cricket authorities in India are getting to let AF play games on their ovals for a pittance?
New Zealand might be an option, but they will want decent coin up front.
Pointing out potential pit falls for the game is not trolling is being pragmatic.

How much to think it will cost to send to 2 teams to Canada to play a regular season round with flights, hotels and hire of the ground?

A lot less than the returns that have historically been made in Vancouver and Toronto.

Do you seriously think the Crickets authorities in England and Wales are going to let others sports be played on there ovals in the NH summer?

You mean like they did many times before ?
Do you think Cricket authorities in India are getting to let AF play games on their ovals for a pittance?

I've seen the size of those Indian stadiums and a one-off event would probably be packed.
IMO India has the most long-term potential. it's only a question of one of those Indian entrepreneurs getting the bug.
Indian cricket went from virtually nothing to a financial powerhouse when Indian entrepreneurs got involved.
New Zealand might be an option,

Wellington was a highly successful AFL event and I imagine an Auckland AFL even better.

but they will want decent coin up front.

Well, it's happened many times before.
Pointing out potential pit falls for the game is not trolling is being pragmatic.

Well you must be very young not to know of the successful history of elite AF overseas.
All of that previous overseas history was made during the 0ff-season - imagine what a true AFL game would be like.

Fox reporting 2023 in SA.

it is all about tourism so no games @ SANFL venues. Melb times below.
Fri @ AO 5.45pm North v Saints 8.40pm Port v Swans
Sat @ Nuriootpa Centennial Park 12pm WC v GC 3pm Freo v Bris
Sat @ AO 5pm Rich v Blues 8pm Pies v Cats
Sun @ AO 12.20pm Hawks v Bombers 3.20pm Dogs v Dees 6.15pm Crows v GWS

in Sydney 2024, the Sydney teams play the SA teams again to even out any home ground advantage.

Can we merge the three Magic Round threads?

Fox reporting 2023 in SA.

it is all about tourism so no games @ SANFL venues. Melb times below.
Fri @ AO 5.45pm North v Saints 8.40pm Port v Swans
Sat @ Nuriootpa Centennial Park 12pm WC v GC 3pm Freo v Bris
Sat @ AO 5pm Rich v Blues 8pm Pies v Cats
Sun @ AO 12.20pm Hawks v Bombers 3.20pm Dogs v Dees 6.15pm Crows v GWS

in Sydney 2024, the Sydney teams play the SA teams again to even out any home ground advantage.

Can we merge the three Magic Round threads?

I wont be surprised if there aren't any same state derbies - Tigers/Blues and Hawks/Bombers isnt going to happen in Adelaide. Id expect as many Melbourne sides as possible to play non victorian sides.

other consideration for Adelaide is that the Monday before season starts is Adelaide Cup day (at least it was this year) - a public holiday here.

I mean theoretically you could have

2x Friday night
3x Saturday
3x Sunda
Adelaide Cup is second Monday in March (same as Vic Labour Day), but even with extra round, the AFL season won’t start until the week after.

I wont be surprised if there aren't any same state derbies - Tigers/Blues and Hawks/Bombers isnt going to happen in Adelaide. Id expect as many Melbourne sides as possible to play non victorian sides.
Think it will go the other way. For games (double or triple headers) with no SA clubs, they will need as many big Vic clubs as possible to drive interstate visitors and locals to those days. The Crows and Port days will be sold out regardless of who plays - hence small clubs v small clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back