Rocco Jones

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs
Archie seems a level above the best of the rest in the A-League and it's no suprise European clubs have already expressed interest in him.

He signed a four year deal with the Victory. I'd assume it includes a minimum transfer release clause. If not and Archie does try to leave I hope Victory actually try to get a big fee out of him. A lot of Australian clubs seemed to have been dudded by deals when sending players overseas (whether that's because of the actual deal or the corrupt board members is up for debate).

What's Archie's worth? Did well in Belgian, playing well for Australia and dominating A-League. I think a big WCQ campaign would increase his value significantly. 1 million pounds would be more than a year's salary cap.

I'd really be gutted to lose Archie no matter how much he goes for but if it has to happen I hope we get alot for him.

Geoff Lord has said we won't sell him, but surely if a club offered enough we would. I love the man and think he is essential to our fortunes on (and to a degree, off) the pitch, but I wouldn't want to deny Archie a serious crack at a top European club.

If he was leaving for Millwall or something, they can get stuffed, but if it were for a Neewcastle United or a middle-big club, I'd cop it sweet. Just make sure we get some decent dough.

I agree Brett

Southampton made the FA Cup Final in 2002, they would seem like the perfect club to me.

teamsout1.jpg

No doubt he'll be on the big bucks in Europe, sooner rather than later.

If managed properly by the club, they could release him (for a massive fee) at the end of a the season, so not to impact the team (& team mates) and replace him with another marquee player.

Won't be too long before Viduka is back in Melbourne. Anyone know when his current contract with Boro is up?

it wont be easy but players like him we have to try and keep in australia if we're gonna have the a-league succeed.

Wrong attitude in this thread.

The A-League and it's respective clubs have to do everything to keep talent such as Archie within the A-League ranks. It'll just go back to normal if we start allowing them to go to big Euorpe clubs easily.

You need to fight and keep the big names concerning the A-League. No matter what deal and no matter to which club.

MadRyan said:

The A-League and it's respective clubs have to do everything to keep talent such as Archie within the A-League ranks. It'll just go back to normal if we start allowing them to go to big Euorpe clubs easily.

You need to fight and keep the big names concerning the A-League. No matter what deal and no matter to which club.

We don't want him to leave and we'd be shattered if he did go.

We're just being realistic. If a big European club came in for him and he wanted to go you can't keep an unhappy player.

Hopefully nothing will happen but who knows.

MadRyan said:

So you want to over pay players to keep them here. And how exactly are we going to pay for that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think Archie has an EU passport so it makes it difficult for him to move to England or any of the big leagues that have restrictions. He seems pretty happy here and hopefully if he takes a stand more second tier players will return home and we will have a decent national league.

MadRyan said:

It cuts both ways. Someone like Thompson going from our league to the Premier for a million buck transfer fee will generate a lot of publicity. Will encourage players to sign for the A-League sides. PLayers from Asia for example might see it is a stepping stone.

The Victory could approach Arsenal (for example) and loan one of their young strikers as a replacement. Point out to Arsenal that the standard is high as evidenced by Thompson getting a game for Southampton :D

Guys who might have been tempted to go to Europe as 18 year olds will feel that they can stay and still find their way to Europe ... as evidenced by Thompson being picked up.

A trickle of our best players leaving the A-League for good European clubs could prove very healthy indeed.

Weaver said:
The Victory could approach Arsenal (for example) and loan one of their young strikers as a replacement. Point out to Arsenal that the standard is high as evidenced by Thompson getting a game for Southampton :D

Archie and Theo! :eek:

homer_simpson_drool.jpg

MadRyan said:

Yeah, your sort of prescription has worked so well for Saudi Arabia.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back