Podcast Are there too many demands on players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Um, when did I talk down on them?

Yes they work out hard, but if they follow their programmes their body can take it. That includes plenty of rest sleep and good nutrition.

And again, it's only for a few years to set them selves up for life.

My sister was an Olympic athlete, she has 2 commonwealth games medals, etc,etc, the same effort re fitness and nutrition was expected of her, but she still had to hold down a job as it was a lower profile sport, but still, ON THE WORLD STAGE! Not just the single country sport that is the AFL!

And by the way, how about the average joe training for competing in marathons or climbing Everest in their spare time? While holding down a 9-5?
Calm down mate I'm not disagreeing with you I'm just saying I can see it from two different sides and I know where both are coming from .

Also you are kind of making it out as if they should just suck it up and stop complaining , it's quite obvious you are implying that and that's what I meant by taking down on them . We don't know what they go through because we haven't been in their shoes it's hard to judge.

Imagine this .....you get a text from mate saying hey there's a great band on tonight down at the tavern .....cheap drinks and 10 dollar food....lest go grab some pints and nachos and have a great night

That's what afl players give up ......being able to be spontaneous with friends and family

Everything is routine routine .....and more routine and restrictions ....to the enth degree .....

Even Australian soldiers who fight for our country can drink beer and eat nachos .......and dam me they are protecting our safety. Footballers bar politicians are the most scrutinised and commented people in society.

It's not as easy as everyone makes out

Also imagin being on Melbourne's list for the last ten years ......no finals barely ....constant media bashing and so on ........

Sure in a winning side where your are getting a regular game it would be bearable .....
Yeah exactly ,its like most things in life there is a good and a bad .

20 hours???!!! the players are at the club almost everyday, and when they are away from it they still need to look after themselves in terms of diet. so bloody naive
No they aren't. They train 2-3 times per week for a few hours.

20 hours

.....ugh

Players are at clubs like full time employees .....meetings, training, physio, recovery .....games, travel ...

20 hours ......not even close
and add preseason to that….

miles off 20 hrs per week….

GO Catters

Does no one have a problem with players being told they cant drink AT ALL, or being tested out of season or anything else that is outside the scope of the average emplyer?

I find the way different clubs approach this to be quite interesting. GWS takes away the risk by removing hotel minibars and not allowing the players to charge back to the hotel accounts. GC obviously doesn't, but punishes the players later for transgressions. I don't think there's enough education, there's just rules and punishments. I understand that players should take responsibility for their own actions, but if someone gave me that much money at the age of 18 I'd probably make silly mistakes too.

I find the way different clubs approach this to be quite interesting. GWS takes away the risk by removing hotel minibars and not allowing the players to charge back to the hotel accounts. GC obviously doesn't, but punishes the players later for transgressions. I don't think there's enough education, there's just rules and punishments. I understand that players should take responsibility for their own actions, but if someone gave me that much money at the age of 18 I'd probably make silly mistakes too.

Good idea

Removing the temptation is part of the strategy ...called harm minimisation ...if we remove the potential harm then we do reduce incidents

I terms of Gold Coast Suns .......what was the AFL THINKING when they placed an AFL team on one of the biggest night club strips (yes that's what the Gold Coast is essentially) and fill it with mostly young players with no footy history as in the club

Does anyone seriously think this wasn't inevitable ......this was so darn predictable this would happen.

If we had a team in Tasmania players wouldn't be snorting coke at 3 am ......

They aren't there everyday is my point.

They get a full day off ..most clubs it's Tuesday's, some get Sunday's off if they play Friday's

Look mate I know two ex afl players .....it's not as glamorous as everyone makes out ...it's a lot of work

Good idea

Removing the temptation is part of the strategy ...called harm minimisation ...if we remove the potential harm then we do reduce incidents

I terms of Gold Coast Suns .......what was the AFL THINKING when they placed an AFL team on one of the biggest night club strips (yes that's what the Gold Coast is essentially) and fill it with mostly young players with no footy history as in the club

Does anyone seriously think this wasn't inevitable ......this was so darn predictable this would happen.

Considering nothing much happens in Tassie after 11pm, would be hard to imagine players doing lines at 3am.

But as for players complaining there are too many demands on them, what a load of crap. AFL players for the most part (rookies & 1st year players excluded) are well paid for the work they do. They have chosen to compete as a professional athlete and therefore recognise that they need to maintain a certain level of fitness to do that. As for out of competition testing, get real. AFL players barely get tested and when they do they behave like a two year old who's has a toy taken off them for misbehaving. AFL players might get test 2-3 times in a year, elite cyclists and athletics stars will get test 40-50 times in a year, so put it in perspective. The demands during the week on AFL players time are also very light, sure they are at the club 6 days a week, but it is generally for no more than 3-4 hours, which means they have a lot of down time to do what they like. AFL players also whinge about media commitments, maybe they should try a few other sports, in the USA players are required by the sporting bodies to make themselves available a minimum number of times during the season, come finals time that increases. Take NFL, in Superbowl week every player must hold two press conferences and be available for an interview on the designated training day, no exceptions, don't see that in Grandfinal week. Look at F1, all drivers must do 2 fan signing session of at least 45 each on race weekends, AFL players avoid signing autographs at training for a couple of kids.

AFL players = some of the most spoilt athletes in the world, so they can harden up or get a new job.

So what do you do for a job ....are you happy to be filmed?

I'll give you this scenario at your work say

"Sorry what are you doing standing next to the coffee machine for more than alloted 10 minutes"

"What were you doing eating that sandwich ....your diet is low carbs this week"

"Sorry your failing a hydration test"

The average career is 4 years or there abouts .....money ....it's not that great compared to other sports people or professions when you consider the scrutiny ....high flying business people make 2-3 million a year aren't under this pressure

Players mental health needs to be considered. Plus I'm of the belief and there is evidence to suggest this that placing more pressure on someone doesn't make them perform better .....what it does do is make people feel like they are failing. I see what pressure does to people and yes some pressure is needed to perform ...

Players and most of them are reporting they are not enjoying it as much. We need to take action. And we wonder why players are getting into drugs, binge drinking and gambling - these are coping strategies for pressure and poor mental health ....

This is no a no brainier.

My idea would be players need to spend less time at footy clubs ....yes less ....in fact I would suggest a number is picked and each player logs in each time they come in. Their mental health is placed in the same importance level as his hamstrings.
I would have no problem being filmed while working because I enjoy my job as I would think they do to (except Judd who's been at the top of the money tree so long he has probably forgotten what it's like for the rest of us).

Most work places wont
  • control your diet and ftiness regimes - fair enough (including some alcohol restrictions), this is elite sport after all...
  • Conduct out of work drug testing, anywhere in the world, at any time - bollocks...but the players signed up for it, societal pressure I guess...
  • expect you to live up to the expectations and scrutiny of tens of thousands of people - that's footy these days unfortunately...
  • subject your every action to intense media scrutiny from the age of 17 on - would love the circus to die down...dunno how but...
  • have an average career length of less than 5 years - welcome to league football...the world is a bloody harsh place...

The biggest problem is they are drafted too young (and it's getting younger with the academies and whatnot). I honestly think it would be better for everyone if they raised the draft age... I understand why they don't want to do it, fear of losing them to other sports, but I think it would solve alot of problems.

At 18 they are still just idiot kids, they often haven't even stopped growing yet, they have no idea what real life is like, skewed priorities, no responsibility, etc. All they want to do is go out and party with their friends, and they feel like being an AFL player stops them from doing that. They think it's not fair that their job interferes with their social life when their friends jobs don't. It's incredibly immature, and in time they will see that themselves and realise how lucky they are (hopefully the systems in place have prevented them from screwing it up by then.)

There's no doubt they are under alot of pressure, they work hard, and they have some unusual restrictions placed on them... but the restrictions aren't unreasonable when you consider their performance is atleast partially dependent on their physical fitness. They are also more than fairly compensated for it, and ultimately it's their choice to subject themselves to it.

Every job has its ups and downs, its good points and its bad points, its own pressures, its own requirements, its own restrictions on your life. People don't have to be happy 100% of the time, in fact that's impossible, there is no happy without unhappy. The question is, does the good outweigh the bad? In the case of the AFL, seeing as we don't seem to be having a bunch of players walking out, I'd say yes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No they aren't. They train 2-3 times per week for a few hours.

They are around the club alot more than that. They have the training session but then they have mandatory weights sessions, yoga, team meetings, physio, massages, leadership group stuff, rehab sessions, media work, auskick clinics are their day job too. Then for interstate players there is the travel time.

I think Daniel Kerr ironically did a "my day as a footballer" during the preseason. It was 6 days a week from about 6am to 4pm.

all part and parcel of being an elite athlete. Their lives are actually pretty free compared to say, an olympic level swimmer who would train 3-4 hours in the morning 7 days a week + everything else.

Players are such sooks. Let's not forget that they can take breaks DURING MATCHES.

If umpires could interchange we'd be able to cover as much ground as the SARS virus. Last weekend I put in 30kms running only on grit (and some powerade)

They are around the club alot more than that. They have the training session but then they have mandatory weights sessions, yoga, team meetings, physio, massages, leadership group stuff, rehab sessions, media work, auskick clinics are their day job too. Then for interstate players there is the travel time.

I think Daniel Kerr ironically did a "my day as a footballer" during the preseason. It was 6 days a week from about 6am to 4pm.

all part and parcel of being an elite athlete. Their lives are actually pretty free compared to say, an olympic level swimmer who would train 3-4 hours in the morning 7 days a week + everything else.
Gees how cushy is your job, if that's sounds like a hard life to you!

I love to train, to get paid for it, and get paid to have massages, (ok skip the yoga, boring, but I do Pilates!) and play my chosen sport for. Living, oh man, bring it on! My hubby leaves home at 6am too, and most days gets to finish at 6pm. And he certainly ain't alone!

The thing these kids need help with is learning to handle the adulation, the money, the fame, and yes, the disappointments. But no, there is not too many demands on them. Too much expectation maybe, but that's a different thing.

I know a 19 year old who just tried out for the Essendon scouts, and has been invited back, yet he's a basketballer, who hopefully is getting drafted to the states. Man, if this kid gets any more arrogant or cocky, god help him! They need grounding. The. Again, this kid does and he hasn't achieved that much yet!

Good idea

Ummmmmmm.... you might want to check the front page of the Courier Mail today.....

As far as the demands, I think it's fair enough. Yes they have lots of demands, but so do lots of other jobs too. They are generally well paid for it.

I don't understand why the alcohol restriction is such is a big deal. They are allowed to drink at certain points in time. No big deal. For my work I'm only allowed to drink at certain points in time too. There are weeks when I'm on call and have to be completely sober the whole time.

There are lots of meetings, fitness requirements, dietary restrictions - but it's just a different set of requirements to most jobs. Look at pilots - there are strict requirements for maintaining physical fitness, alcohol/drugs and even sleeping. Other jobs have plenty more meetings, education sessions, travel, not to mention things such as danger (firemen, police, security, armed forces, etc). Armed forces is a great example of a career with most of the same requirements put on young adults, just a lot longer hours!!

The big difference with football players from other career paths is the media spotlight. However, without the media spotlight they wouldn't be earning the money. That's where most of their revenue comes from. It's like saying I want to open a coffee shop and makes loads of money but I don't want to deal with any customers.

Not everyone is equipped to deal with the requirements. It's the same with pilots, army, doctors, police, etc - people drop out of those all the time because they can't handle the demands of the job.

Interesting to see Nick Kygrios come out and say he doesn't like tennis at all and it's just a job for him. Maybe there's plenty of footballers who already have the same feelings. As it becomes more and more professional it certainly will head that way, but it's up to the individual to keep their motivation, whether that be financial, enjoyment or otherwise.

Imagine being paid a few hundred thousand every year to 'work' 20 hours per week.

If players don't want this lifestyle nobody is forcing them to do it. Quit and do something else, but then don't complain when they have to work twice as many hours for no where near the same salary.
No way it is 20 hours a week ... they are at the club the whole day sometimes ! be 30 + hours plus gruelling pre-seasons and high demands at all other times .
It wouldn't be much fun.

No way it is 20 hours a week ... they are at the club the whole day sometimes ! be 30 + hours plus gruelling pre-seasons and high demands at all other times .
It wouldn't be much fun.
Some people go to the gym in their spare time...these guys get paid to go there

Yeah must be hard being paid a shitload to play footy, train, work with mates, a bit of fame, etc...
Don't like it? Join the 9-5 world and see if you enjoy it any better?
Everyone in a 9-5 enjoys their job so much.
Judd won't even have to do that, what a complete out of touch, pussy of a bloke, gtfo

I don't think they are paid enough to potential ruin their bodies permanently and at an early age to entertain us idiot masses.

But what I most dislike is this whole moral thing about it. Nobody should should care whether a player drinks or not (or whatever). Just select them by what they show on field and on the training track. When somebody is better without drinking it's just natural selection...

It's not that hard re the drugs and gambling.
Does no one have a problem with players being told they cant drink AT ALL, or being tested out of season or anything else that is outside the scope of the average emplyer?
Even Australian soldiers who fight for our country can drink beer and eat nachos .......and dam me they are protecting our safety.
Are you guys actually serious. It is not in the contract of players that they cannot have a beer during the season or at anytime of the year. They can and do. Some choose not to as they want to be the best of the best. The Cotchin and Ablett type players. But most do. Especially after a night game, ask the AFL players themselves. Their bodies are exuding a natural cocaine, just the adrenaline.

GWS and Gold Coast had when they were initially started. Just to maintain and control the young lads. I was chatting to an ex giant recently and they were really strict.

On the nachos front that is absurd, of course they can as long as they maintain fitness and perform. They can eat whatever they like. Their are only a few meals per week they all have to eat together. Richmond employ a full time chef so they can eat food their whenever (buffet style). But they do not have to. Some guys have diets recommended they follow to build muscle or shed. If they don't they will not be physically fit enough to get a game. If they choose not to it is their decision, bush league it is. Just because they are on the list does not mean they are granted a game. Only the elite players play.

Let me give you an example. Sam Lloyd when he played for Denny he used to be a pisshead, loved to get on it. When he was given a shot on an AFL list he became extremely discipline and really has a strict diet he follows and does not drink. Because if he does not he won't be in shape to play the game. Other elite players I will not mention who do like to have quiet a few beers. But they are good enough to get a game not being as diligent.

Most work places wont
  • control your diet and fitness regimes
  • Conduct out of work drug testing, anywhere in the world, at any time
  • expect you to live up to the expectations and scrutiny of tens of thousands of people.
  • subject your every action to intense media scrutiny from the age of 17 on
  • have an average career length of less than 5 years

I agree with below. If you want to be a 'top' level athlete this is what you got to do, otherwise you won't get a game. If your not up to standard re. Colin Sylvia why bother. You won't get a game and will end up being delisted.

Not really ... it is pretty much mandatory for elite athletes. I know it is not quite the same thing but any club that takes cricket seriously will impose similar bans the night before training and matches. Even a couple of drinks can dehydrate enough for you to feel it 24 hrs later if you're working at your limit. There are plenty of far worse paying occupations that require drug tests. Clubs need to maintain their brand in order to get sponsorship $ so they can pay such high salaries. The AFL need to keep their brand so they get their TV rights $. The drug testing helps to keep people in line and off the front pages and keeps the money flowing. If a player doesn't like it there will be 10,000 willing to take his place.

I agree on the surface of it it seems great ....I know 2 ex AFL players ......one I helped counsel after his career.

ALL is not what it appears is all I will say. Being under constant scrutiny, judgement by fans and media. It does wear you down.

It is difficult but when their is an audience you will have the media. It is part of the job unless the AFL banned the media. But then their wages will most likely drop much closer to a normal wage. But they AFLPA do so much in assisting players for after life if they want to take the opportunity. Free university for one thing, that is really encouraging them to study. For instance Simon Hogan (know his dad) when he retired from depression he still had 3 years on his degree, that all gets paid for. He literally got the best help in the 'world' for his depression. Flown overseas for counselling and retreats.

Imagine being paid a few hundred thousand every year to 'work' 20 hours per week.

My friend 20 hours a week. Not during the season or off season do they do 20 hours a week. They do much more. Richmond get the one day off a week (the Wednesday). Sometimes they will get a second full day off after the game. But some other teams enforce a group recovery session (usually the lower teams). So they are 6 days a week of contact every week. Though recover is only a few hours in the morning. GWS have it most full on. They do EVERYTHING together. I promise you they easily do their 40 hours a week. About half of it is the game day, training, gym work, cardio drills and exercises. The rest is the community engagements, sponsorship arrangements, club functions, the team building sessions/activities, the individual game analysis, the team analysis.

Are you guys actually serious. It is not in the contract of players that they cannot have a beer during the season or at anytime of the year. They can and do. Some choose not to as they want to be the best of the best. The Cotchin and Ablett type players. But most do. Especially after a night game, ask the AFL players themselves. Their bodies are exuding a natural cocaine, just the adrenaline.

GWS and Gold Coast had when they were initially started. Just to maintain and control the young lads. I was chatting to an ex giant recently and they were really strict.

On the nachos front that is absurd, of course they can as long as they maintain fitness and perform. They can eat whatever they like. Their are only a few meals per week they all have to eat together. Richmond employ a full time chef so they can eat food their whenever (buffet style). But they do not have to. Some guys have diets recommended they follow to build muscle or shed. If they don't they will not be physically fit enough to get a game. If they choose not to it is their decision, bush league it is. Just because they are on the list does not mean they are granted a game. Only the elite players play.

Let me give you an example. Sam Lloyd when he played for Denny he used to be a pisshead, loved to get on it. When he was given a shot on an AFL list he became extremely discipline and really has a strict diet he follows and does not drink. Because if he does not he won't be in shape to play the game. Other elite players I will not mention who do like to have quiet a few beers. But they are good enough to get a game not being as diligent.

I agree with below. If you want to be a 'top' level athlete this is what you got to do, otherwise you won't get a game. If your not up to standard re. Colin Sylvia why bother. You won't get a game and will end up being delisted.

It is difficult but when their is an audience you will have the media. It is part of the job unless the AFL banned the media. But then their wages will most likely drop much closer to a normal wage. But they AFLPA do so much in assisting players for after life if they want to take the opportunity. Free university for one thing, that is really encouraging them to study. For instance Simon Hogan (know his dad) when he retired from depression he still had 3 years on his degree, that all gets paid for. He literally got the best help in the 'world' for his depression. Flown overseas for counselling and retreats.

My friend 20 hours a week. Not during the season or off season do they do 20 hours a week. They do much more. Richmond get the one day off a week (the Wednesday). Sometimes they will get a second full day off after the game. But some other teams enforce a group recovery session (usually the lower teams). So they are 6 days a week of contact every week. Though recover is only a few hours in the morning. GWS have it most full on. They do EVERYTHING together. I promise you they easily do their 40 hours a week. About half of it is the game day, training, gym work, cardio drills and exercises. The rest is the community engagements, sponsorship arrangements, club functions, the team building sessions/activities, the individual game analysis, the team analysis.

I agree with much of what your dossier said :)

I have a question .....if everything is good as you say it is

Then why are we seeing a huge jump in drug use and gambling in the afl

My suggestion would be and I work as drug and alcohol counsellor and I'm very aware of someone's breaking point or tipping point if you like

We must keep tabs on how much time players do commit to the club .....and extra bye would be good. Possibly even a 2 week bye in the middle where they could play 3 games each weekend and give players an extra weekend off - this would allow injured players more time to freshen up also. End of season holidays for many are t that pleasant ...why because most have surgery and other rehab to do to get ready for the following pre season

I'm by no means saying its a bad life or not a great job, all I'm saying is that it's not an easy journey

It might be for the stars ...but for a player say on the cusp each week not knowing if he will get another contract also adds a burden

Wen you compare what afl players get paid do also ......ok the average salary is about 300k or tech above maybe

NFL and NBA players wouldn't get out of bed for that .......our players are very very lowly Paid for what they put in terms of commitment and professionalism and mental fatigue. Even our cricketers who laze about for half the year get paid a million a year minimum and that's before IPL AND county contracts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back