Fixture Are we better off finishing second

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless something unlikely happens you have to beat the entire top 4 to win the flag, excluding ourselves obviously.

So the real question is do you want to play Melbourne in the QF, PF or GF?

Unless something unlikely happens you have to beat the entire top 4 to win the flag, excluding ourselves obviously.

So the real question is do you want to play Melbourne in the QF, PF or GF?

Yep QF for sure. Brisbane and Port PF and GF respectively.

Yep QF for sure. Brisbane and Port PF and GF respectively.
Imagine Port losing to the winner of SF1?!? By my reckoning on the ladder predictor that would be Dees vs Cats, and I couldn't say with any confidence that Port is that much better than either of those 2 on their day.

Mind you, we'd be meeting Brisbane in the PF and despite it being in Melbourne would still be a stressful game to watch.

(Note: also in my ladder predictor Carlton make it and play Brisbane in SF2. Imagine... if... no... no...)

It looks like we will finish on top of ladder with Port second Brisbane third and Melbourne 4th.

It feels like (even though a great team) whoever plays Brisbane due to travel reasons has a better advantage.

If we play Melbourne there is zero home ground advantage.

Thoughts?
We need to win 1 out of our last 3 to tie up top spot I believe. Port to finish 4th. Melbourne will finish 2nd and lions 3rd. Our game again the lions will be a big one!!

Because our game is on the Friday night in the last round, we will not be able to orchestrate anything to finish in a preferred position. All other games follow us.

Finish first with a win against Essendon.

Let chips fall where they may.

Pending todays two games with Melbourne and Port and fact we play first next week, we probably won’t know who we’ll be playing on Friday night until the other games are done.

Melbourne and Port can still swap.

I’m hoping for a Melbourne win today to lock top 4 from Carlton.

And a freo win to drop Port to 4th. Playing Port who we beat twice already, at the G, seems the best prospect of getting straight to prelims.

However, we can beat Melbourne too on our day. So let’s just back ourselves to rise to the occasion in week one of finals and get the job done to get to prelims.

We can’t manufacture results. Too much is outside of our control.

Finish first with a win against Essendon.

Let chips fall where they may.

Pending todays two games with Melbourne and Port and fact we play first next week, we probably won’t know who we’ll be playing on Friday night until the other games are done.

Melbourne and Port can still swap.

I’m hoping for a Melbourne win today to lock top 4 from Carlton.

And a freo win to drop Port to 4th. Playing Port who we beat twice already, at the G, seems the best prospect of getting straight to prelims.

However, we can beat Melbourne too on our day. So let’s just back ourselves to rise to the occasion in week one of finals and get the job done to get to prelims.

We can’t manufacture results. Too much is outside of our control.
Agree

It won’t happen now. I’d be appalled if we lost to Essendon after what they served up against GWS. We’ll be playing Melbourne I'd reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our best chance is to finish top of the ladder, win our QF against Melbourne at the MCG, which would give us a Prelim at the G (possibly against Swans or Port, in which case we would have a genuine home ground advantage), and most likely play Brisbane in the GF.
Playing all our games at the MCG, with the possibility of getting two interstate sides on our home ground, looks like the best bet. We just have to beat Melb first up.

Our best chance is to finish top of the ladder, win our QF against Melbourne at the MCG, which would give us a Prelim at the G (possibly against Swans or Port, in which case we would have a genuine home ground advantage), and most likely play Brisbane in the GF.
Playing all our games at the MCG, with the possibility of getting two interstate sides on our home ground, looks like the best bet. We just have to beat Melb first up.

Yep, this is clearly the best path to the GF.

This team has shown they often prefer doing it the hard way though, so I'm prepared for that too.

Let’s beat Essendon first, and retain top spot. Despite our wavering of recent weeks, we deserve the minor premiership, we’ve played well enough over the course of the season to claim it. Not an accident, or luck, or the draw. We’ve been the best team over the entire season and having that in our pocket will give us a mental edge for the finals (I hope).

No mucking around with Essendon, we need to smash them.

People are writing off Port way too early
They have a young gun midfield that can definitely beat Melbourne and brisbane
We probably match up best on them of the top 4
I agree, they are one of 6 teams that have beaten or pushed us (Adelaide did too).

I wouldn't write them off.

In respect to finishing top or second, the teams are there to beat and don't think it matters who we meet.

No I do not think we need to finish 2nd we need to come out firing against the Bombers as I think they will be fired up I think and we need a good performance for our confidence.

I do not care who we play in the finals we just need our confidence back we are barely ticking over atm, so for me it is not about anyone else it is how we go.

St Kilda is the only team who couldn't beat the top 4 imo. The other 7 can.

Finishing 2nd and get Port at the MCG and let Melbourne beat Brisbane wouldnt be the worst outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back