Player Watch Ash Johnson

Remove this Banner Ad

He definitely isn’t making it when people chose to abuse him - and then others like yourself ignore this greater issue of abuse, and just want to write him off, as if he’s unworthy of our support.
Ignore maybe because at the time of posting I had no idea there was any issue? Not everyone lives on social media, some people just want to post about the footy. Get over yourself.

Back to AJ.

I'm also concerned that this week was avoidable. Fly regularly said he "wants to set players up for success", primarily as a reason for non-selection.

After the GWS game, it was patently obvious that if AJ failed again this week, the scrutiny would significantly intensify.

I realise it is a fine line between backing your players in and being trigger happy with selection, but they should have considered what would happen if AJ failed to show appropriate contest levels again.
plenty of opinion out there was that he should be given an extended block to build his confidence. 2 very poor performances should end that theory.

Yeah, I suppose so.

However, I'm talking about the more recent phenomena of social networks - Insta, Facebook, Twitter.

This is an actively moderated forum that existed prior to their creation. While it has had its own issues with trolling and objectionable speech at times, the potential exposure is not remotely the same. All players had to do was "not read BigFooty", which most had probably never heard of.

Modern social networks connect players directly with the public in an unmoderated environment! That is the real issue.
Chief would be delighted to hear he beat Zuckerberg into the social media space. I wonder who plays him in the movie.

But yes, those networks are more dangerous because of less anonymity. People us their own name and can be abused for what they do in the real world, whereas we just abuse each other for our online behaviour.

It’s a 🤬 disgrace the way some supporters have spoken about AJ recently, you’d think he was the cause of all our problems. The comments that have been allowed to stay up on the threads probably says a lot about our supporter base. I’m disgusted by those who should know better.

I’m sorry I’ve gone back and forth about whether or not to post this but I’m angry and need to get this off my chest.

Some of the vitriol I’ve seen posted about him in forums and social media and much of it coming from those who claim to be supporters is quite disgusting. The fact that it has gotten so bad that Ash has felt the need to delete his socials says it all really.

Real Collingwood fans are Side by Side ALWAYS, not just when we win.

As far as I’m concerned if you bash our players you are not a real Collingwood fan.

I’m not saying don’t critique players form, but there is a difference between that and bashing and bullying our players which just isn’t okay. I am actually hoping the club starts look into who is posting some of the crap that chased Ash of social media and if they can identify them that they tear up their memberships if they have one and ban them from attending games, because those so called fans are the embarrassment to the club not any of our players win or lose.

Ignore maybe because at the time of posting I had no idea there was any issue? Not everyone lives on social media, some people just want to post about the footy. Get over yourself.
Posters had referenced it for pages before your post - so please don’t pretend you weren’t aware.
Here’s an idea - why don’t you apologize for mistake.

I’m sorry I’ve gone back and forth about whether or not to post this but I’m angry and need to get this off my chest.

Some of the vitriol I’ve seen posted about him in forums and social media and much of it coming from those who claim to be supporters is quite disgusting. The fact that it has gotten so bad that Ash has felt the need to delete his socials says it all really.

As far as I’m concerned if you bash our players you are not a real Collingwood fan.

I’m not saying don’t critique players form, but there is a difference between that and bashing and bullying our players which just isn’t okay. I am actually hoping the club starts look into who is posting some of the crap that chased Ash of social media and if they can identify them that they tear up their memberships if they have one and ban them from attending games, because those so called fans are the embarrassment to the club not any of our players win or lose.

Yeah there is a big difference between criticising him on here, and jumping onto his social media to abuse him personally. I can’t imagine why you’d do the latter unless you have ill will towards Ash as a person, and that’s pretty messed up.

He is being played in a role he is not suited.

Ash is ideally a 3rd medium marking option. Not a kpf.

Imo during preseason his best form came when he and Reef both started as deep forwards.
One would block or dummy lead for the other and it worked well. Reef was the main man of the 2.

Our AFL forwards are more disjointed and lacking a bit of selfless play to help create space.

Yes AJ needs to work harder both on amount of leads and also defensively. But imo he is not playing a role conducive to getting his best footy.
Spot on.
IMO, in the ideal world, he plays as a floating 3rd forward that helps out in the ruck.
There is a future for Ash. He’s got to believe it and take it. That starts with more intensity and effort. He needs to own his chances.
Cox is probably in his last year. McStay will be back.
I think our best forward line will look like…
HF Schulz Mihocek Hill
F Johnson McStay McInness
They will try to push McCreery up the field and Elliot will be challenged for his spot. Harrison will loom.
Johnson offers a hybrid of extra height and lots of skill and athleticism. Whether he delivers depends on a bit of luck and self belief.

Yeah there is a big difference between criticising him on here, and jumping onto his social media to abuse him personally. I can’t imagine why you’d do the latter unless you have ill will towards Ash as a person, and that’s pretty messed up.
I think even here posters do sometimes go too far and cross the line between criticism and player bashing. Though I will grant you when it’s posted here I think it’s more callously thoughtless rather than malicious and I generally when I see it just hope if any player normally visits footy forums like this one they don’t after a poor performance so they don’t see it unless they go looking for it.

But posting towards a player on social media where they know the players will see it whether they’re looking for it or not can’t be anything other than malicious intent.

There are enablers on BF who do nothing to pull the heads in of those supporters but are part of the problem as they push their own agendas.

I think even here posters do sometimes go too far and cross the line between criticism and player bashing. Though I will grant you when it’s posted here I think it’s more callously thoughtless rather than malicious and I generally when I see it just hope if any player normally visits footy forums like this one they don’t after a poor performance so they don’t see it unless they go looking for it.

But posting towards a player on social media where they know the players will see it whether they’re looking for it or not can’t be anything other than malicious intent.

I get what you’re saying, but I just see it as venting on here. I doubt very much that Fly up in the coaches’ box would be saying to Leppa during the game; “we just need Ash to keep getting better every game, and we love Ash so we’re going to throw our arms around him, blah blah blah…”

He’d be saying “WTF was that?! Aaargh you ******* spud!” … and then composing himself before speaking to the group.

Getting on Ash’s insta comes across as far more premeditated, malicious and entitled.

I get what you’re saying, but I just see it as venting on here. I doubt very much that Fly up in the coaches’ box would be saying to Leppa during the game; “we just need Ash to keep getting better every game, and we love Ash so we’re going to throw our arms around him, blah blah blah…”

He’d be saying “WTF was that?! Aaargh you ******* spud!” … and then composing himself before speaking to the group.

Getting on Ash’s insta comes across as far more premeditated, malicious and entitled.
Given Fly is never in the coaches box, he’s always on the boundary with the players he won’t be saying that. If he was in the coaches box I could see him maybe saying first half “WTF was that?!” But I could not see him saying the second line about any player under any circumstances even if he was completely on his own let alone to anybody else.

And whilst I do get the need to vent there are still lines that shouldn’t be crossed.

Agreed, there is also a huge difference between a poster here logging on and frustratedly submitting that “He’s not good enough, won’t make it, yadda yadda” and things of that nature on here compared to the tangent of unwarranted personal abuse like what gets posted on players profiles on social media.

And that’s not justifying the fickle garbage this forum often spits up after a loss, however what gets labelled as abusive or sometimes perceived as hating on a certain player on this forum by other posters is nothing compared to what they far too often cop on social media.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Naivety of this comment breathtaking. Today Social Media offers a medium for villification far greater than at anytime past.
Ironic post having a personal pot at me!!

Social media vilification is ugly and more frequent than in the past but it can be turned off.

Being vilified at the ground cannot be turned off.

It should all just stop, that’s my point!

Ironic post having a personal pot at me!!

Social media vilification is ugly and more frequent than in the past but it can be turned off.

Being vilified at the ground cannot be turned off.

It should all just stop, that’s my point!
A direct quote from your post.
“I’m curious why this is causing such hysteria”
Clearly you failed to understand this is a massive societal issue, orders of magnitude worse than abuse at the ground.
The damage has already been done if a player needs to turn off their accounts.

Clearly you failed to understand this is a massive societal issue, orders of magnitude worse than abuse at the ground.
Stop having a personal dig at me

Social media abuse is a bigger societal issue because being abused by strangers in the real world is pretty rare unless you're a celebrity - or a really s**t driver.

You'd need to talk to AJ to find out which he finds worse and harder to deal with

Social media abuse is a bigger societal issue because being abused by strangers in the real world is pretty rare unless you're a celebrity - or a really s**t driver.

You'd need to talk to AJ to find out which he finds worse and harder to deal with

I definitely suspect social media - because while he can turn his account off.
His friends and family could also be targeted as happens so often with other public figures.
So in that sense social media can never be turned off.

If he doesn’t improve as a forward, could he be converted to a backman roll ? Howe & Moore started as forwards, just a thought 🤔…….
I don't think AJ is a defender, his mindset is to see ball fly for ball. It would take a huge adjustment and I'm not sure he has the tank for the running involved.

I don't think AJ is a defender, his mindset is to see ball fly for ball. It would take a huge adjustment and I'm not sure he has the tank for the running involved.
My gut feel is the same, but he has the attributes to at least be tried in defence.
It may well be the case that constant action brings a new level of urgency, and application that could prove a revelation.
Definitely worth a try at VFL level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back