Australian cheating at Newlands, where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

If I were Smith I'd spend the next few months visiting parts of the world he'd barely be known and would rarely get to see. Go hang out in Mongolia, South Korea, Nepal or such places. Think about anything but cricket for a little while.

I can only assume Smith thinks Warner will contest the ban and do his dirty work for him.

Just like on the field where Smith got Warner to do his dirty work with sledging and ball tampering which then got passed on to Bancroft.

If I were Smith I'd spend the next few months visiting parts of the world he'd barely be known and would rarely get to see. Go hang out in Mongolia, South Korea, Nepal or such places. Think about anything but cricket for a little while.

Like the Essendon players did when they got a 12 month ban, they were able to spend some of that time travelling overseas during the Northern Hemisphere summer which most AFL players never get the opportunity to do.

There will be a bitter taste in some mouths if Warner challenges and ends up with the shortest ban of the three.

There will be a bitter taste in some mouths if Warner challenges and ends up with the shortest ban of the three.
Sensible theory should follow that if a ruling is turned over for being excessive, which this is, then all judged by that ruling are similarly excessively dealt with.

I won't be surprised to see all three with six month bans and two of them walking away with their reputations intact.

depends what CA are offering him behind the scenes.

i can't see Bancroft and Smith just accepting they will out of cricket for that length of time without some kind of bargain being struck behind the scenes.

Theres a strong chance Bancroft is making more money now than when he was actually in the team...

Sensible theory should follow that if a ruling is turned over for being excessive, which this is, then all judged by that ruling are similarly excessively dealt with.

I won't be surprised to see all three with six month bans and two of them walking away with their reputations intact.

pretty much. Warner doing the dirty work for Smith again ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The discussion about culture change has been espoused recently. Even by T Paine. So what is that saying, that under smith-warner control the culture was poor?

Maybe or maybe he's just toeing the line.

He has already said enough. He has accepted his punishment, he has not committed the crime of the century, get over it.
No he hadn't. Like Warner and Bancroft, he avoided answering questions about how long it had been going on (forever) and who else knew (everyone). You might think he's doing it for noble reasons, but he is not accepting full responsibility for lying and cheating by continuing to lie about cheating.

The whole thing seems a little bit too neat really. Seems like CA sent a few people over for damage control and they figured this was the best way to go about it, hand out an over the top ban to appease the public outcry and get someone to appeal to lighten the sentence once the dust had settled. Smith and Bancroft's twitter posts seem way too contrived and really this is the best result for CA and cricket watchers anyway.

No doubt in my mind that the whole thing would've been avoided if Smith wasn't an idiot with his initial 'confession'. That's the reason he won't see the captaincy again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back