Australian International Rules Squad Announced

Remove this Banner Ad

So.... Are they still allowed to smack the crap outta each other, because that was the best part.
I still remember Browny wipeout some poor Irish dude in Perth a few years back, took him 10min to get up. Yellow carded to an applause.
That was the match following the hiatus (after johnson went mental), they changed the rules to give the Irish a chance

Clarko will be telling the players to hit (but fairly)
Expect fireworks

A big thank you to the Perth people, especially the Dockers and Eagles fans, for supporting this game.

You are showing vision, unlike many over this way. Looking forward to a great spectacle, with a house full of cheering WA fans.

I am so AFL starved that I am actually looking forward to watching the game tonight.

It also helps that the team is actually decent and full of stars. Of course, it's hard to get too excited when I remember that they're playing a slightly modified form of gaelic football, and the game presents a situation where star players could suffer injuries that affect their 2015 seasons. Nothing worse than a player missing real AFL games because of something that means absolutely nothing.

It also helps that the team is actually decent and full of stars. Of course, it's hard to get too excited when I remember that they're playing a slightly modified form of gaelic football, and the game presents a situation where star players could suffer injuries that affect their 2015 seasons. Nothing worse than a player missing real AFL games because of something that means absolutely nothing.
So does any practice match.

A big thank you to the Perth people, especially the Dockers and Eagles fans, for supporting this game.

You are showing vision, unlike many over this way. Looking forward to a great spectacle, with a house full of cheering WA fans.

Absolutely- and let's hope the haters STFU after the game because surely they're not watching it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So does any practice match.

Yes, but practice matches serve as a means for players to prepare for the AFL season. This game is an entirely different sport, where different skill-sets are emphasized, and is played around the beginning of the pre-season, meaning it presents no value to players or clubs in terms of benefit to their 2015 season prospects. Therefore, losing a player from a game like this leaves an especially sour taste in my mouth, because the game does not achieve any real goal that is of relevance to the club or player in 2015, whereas an AFL practice match towards the end of the pre-season does provide some benefit in that regard.

Yes, but practice matches serve as a means for players to prepare for the AFL season. This game is an entirely different sport, where different skill-sets are emphasized, and is played around the beginning of the pre-season, meaning it presents no value to players or clubs in terms of benefit to their 2015 season prospects. Therefore, losing a player from a game like this leaves an especially sour taste in my mouth, because the game does not achieve any real goal that is of relevance to the club or player in 2015, whereas an AFL practice match towards the end of the pre-season does provide some benefit in that regard.

I would kill for an All Stars type AFL game at this time of year (or a few weeks from now). Would love to see the best 44 AFL players in the country playing against each other.

Yes because training with the greatest talents our game has in a sport that has enormous similarities will serve no purpose.

FFS.

I would kill for an All Stars type AFL game at this time of year (or a few weeks from now). Would love to see the best 44 AFL players in the country playing against each other.

I would much prefer that to this. At least then they'd be playing our game. I mean, for me, the big draw for the IR game this year is that the team is full of stars. I could care less for the slightly modified form of Gaelic they're playing or the amateurs they're competing against. So a game in which one team of AFL stars plays another would be far more interesting, while presenting many of the same risks as you get with this game.

I heard for this year there is no "ball ups" or return in the middle after a goal is scored this series? Just a kick in from defence?
If so get ready to see some monster torps from Fletch!

Irish team announced yesterday.

Michael Murphy to captain Ireland in Australia

Ireland International Rules manager Paul Earley has named his 25-man panel for the upcoming Test against Australia with Donegal's Michael Murphy captaining the side for the second time.

In total 15 counties are represented across the 25-man panel.

Mayo lead the way with four home-based players included as well as Brisbane Lions’ Pearse Hanley - the only AFL-based player included in the visitors panel.

The team management have also confirmed that Cork’s Aidan Walsh will fill the role of vice-captain.

Ireland face Australia at Patterson’s Stadium in Perth on 22 November and depart for Australia on 12 November.

Their itinerary also includes a warm-up game in Melbourne against a VFL selection on Sunday 16 November.

Earley said: “I’m pleased to confirm the 25 players who will represent Ireland in the latest series and we travel to Australia anticipating a very strong challenge from the hosts.

“The players who we have chosen have worked hard in recent weeks and and have shown many of the attributes that we hope will allow us to build on some of the promising aspects of last year’s series performances.

“As a group we are looking forward to showcasing all that is good about Gaelic football while representing Ireland.”

Ireland hammered Australia by an aggregate score of 101 points last year, but the hosts have named a stronger squad for this year's one-off Test.

In the history of the sport, Ireland have nine series wins, with Australia one behind, and looking to level the record books in 2014.

Ireland panel: Colm Begley (Laois), Colm Boyle (Mayo), Seán Cavanagh (Tyrone), Cathal Cregg (Roscommon), Mattie Donnelly (Tyrone), Finian Hanley (Galway), Pearse Hanley (Brisbane Lions), Darren Hughes (Monaghan), Lee Keegan (Mayo), James McCarthy (Dublin), Ciaran McDonald (Tipperary), Neil McGee (Donegal), Chrissy McKaigue (Derry), Kevin McKernan (Down), Kevin McLoughlin (Mayo), Conor McManus (Monaghan), David Moran (Kerry), Niall Morgan (Tyrone), Ross Munnelly (Laois), Michael Murphy (Donegal, captain), Colm O’Neill (Cork), Pádraig O’Neill (Kildare), Paddy O’Rourke (Meath), Aidan O’Shea (Mayo), Aidan Walsh (Cork, vice-captain).

Decent enough looking team, Only 5 of this years All Stars named though. Nice blend of strength and speed, Not all necessarily the best or most skillful exponents of Gaelic football but a decent team none the less. Still expect Australia to scrape a win but that Irish team will make it tough for them. Should be a good game!
Is the Padraig listed the same Padraig from the Foxtel Recruit show /now Geelong listed player?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back