Autopsy Autopsy V Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Fans could see the void of key backs all the way back when Taz and Scooter were entering their twilight. List build is so out of whack.
Midfield got hammered today yes, but that won't be every week, Carlton have a seasoned and well balanced midfield unit.
Opposition sides are going to be looking to get the ball in quick and expose our guys one on one. It was a clear change Freo made last week in the 2nd quarter.

"Your defenders aren't expecting that you're going to give it back so easily." That's it right there. Blaming Pink and Dawson for this is just scapegoating the midfield's poor pressure and turnovers.
Expecting your KPD’s to nullify 1v1 contests is not scapegoating.

* me, the bar is low at this club.

That was the worst and most one-sided umpiring performance I have seen since the 1994 preliminary Final
North got a few early frees, as did Carlton and somebody in the cheer squad called out that at least they were consistent.

Well, that is when the rot set in.

I just can't believe how umps can "see" certain frees that bewilder the crowd but four of the campaigners can't see other events that the entire crowd can see.

And as for 50s... They might pay some for abuse which we can't hear but if they are paying the 50s for players not standing completely still on the mark on some occasions, they are arses because it happened frequently without being paid our way.

Anyway, I still don't trust the integrity of the game. The latest info released during the week is just one reason to be very concerned.

Look I think Carlton were always going to win but this competition is compromised beyond belief. It’s about money unfortunately, that’s life and reality . Completely ruined the game today much like last time we played them. Maybe its their plan wouldn’t put it passed the AFL they are dodgy as fk

Last edited:
I'm a little surprised by how negative this thread is. I'm sick of losing too, but our improvement is obvious, and the wins will soon come.

I think the umpiring took what should have been a 25-35 point margin, telling the story of a young side that was able to match a premiership contender for extended portions, into the 56-point margin that we saw, which I don't think accurately depicts how even the contest was at times.

Carlton's pressure was elite, and ours was probably not where it should have been. We won the clearances 43 to 40, but Carlton were able to do significantly more damage when they won the ball. I thought they played brilliant football today, but so did we for portions.

There were a lot of individual positives too, most notably from Powell, Curtis, Xerri, Sheezel, Wardlaw, and McKercher.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Genuine question - who was the last player to come to us from another club and look like they genuinely bought in and made the team noticeably better? Marley Williams for one year? At a stretch??? If not him then we're going back to Higgins & Waite who were highly rated free agents before they came. Since Williams we've had Hartung, Hall, Pittard, Polec, Tyson, Campbell, Walker, Bonar, Corr, Menadue, Stephenson, Young, Bosenavulagi, Coleman-Jones, Greenwood, Logue, Shiels, Howe, Tucker, Fisher and Stephens. Some of those had a go but weren't/aren't good enough to make the team better but I'd contend that to this point none fit both criteria.
Excluding Logue, who is exactly what we're crying out for, that list of players is a pathetic. Stop recruiting outside squibs ffs.

I'd hope and expect that Harry will enthusiastically receive the rev that he deserves.

The stats are there but he needs to play both ways.

Looked infinitely better up the ground today when he was moved for a short period.

We are about to find out if Clarko is still a quality coach or just an over the hill legend collecting his final pay cheque.

Harry looked way better in the third when he was moved on ball. We looked better as well.

He should be moved forward at least once or twice a game also, purely for distribution of the opposing teams defence.

I met a kid this week who was born in 99.

Never has he seen a win in real life.

We need to ******* lift. Sellers in adds an extra deep forward,

And no offence to LDU - if st kilda are coming and he continues to offer up that inability to defend I’d ******* love to play against him. He’s our biggest issue inside.

They cooked us today at centre bound and LDU is mainly the issue

North got a few early frees, as did Carlton and somebody in the cheer squad called out that at least they were consistent.

Well, that is when the rot set in.

I just can't believe how umps can "see" certain frees that bewilder the crowd but four of the campaigners can't see other events that the entire crowd can see.

And as for 50s... They might pay some for abuse which we can't hear but if they are paying the 50s for players not standing completely still on the mark on some occasions, they are arses because it happened frequently without being paid our way.

Anyway, I still don't trust the integrity of the game. The latest info released during the week is just one reason to be very concerned.
The AFL is all about the money. Easy money to keep the fans of the big clubs happy by shafting a few small clubs.

Even subconsciously the umpires don’t give a * because they know it won’t get highlighted.

But do the reverse against a big club and they know they are under the micrscope.

Someone said it best. We are now in a situation where we will get shafted by every ******* grey area they can manipulate.

Wardlaw's intercept and goal was absolutely elite. Powell did a similar thing too.

You would expect that from our senior players but nope. I can see why Clarko kept banging on about the guys in their mid-twenties that need to step up in the heat of adversity. Without them, the young guys can't do much.

That's what hurts. Those senior players that simply don't carry their weight. Just not what a team should be doing.

I know we were not brilliant…but this is what confounds / makes me frustrated ……the so bloody obvious non calls ..or calls that were not there.

This one and the umpire has a clear view…play on…

Others l can think of…(there were many more)
I think it was Mac Govern( could be wrong..but was a blues player ) being tackled ….in our fwd line..took on tacklers lost possession of ball…dropped to his feet…. Play on..

Another blues player…l know l commented on this one …standing in the tackle after being caught beautifully by our player…arm pinged behind back …flicks ball one hand to teammate with ump watching 1 m away…..play on…he threw the bl&&$ ball.

And jye heading into our fwd 50 tackled but has both hands free handballs before tackle was completed gets ball away ..,which would’ve lead to a goal …but nup htb …..he hand balled it…

These stuff ups on top of our own mistakes just compounded everything…

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back