BALI - what do you think about it?

Remove this Banner Ad

With respect Nickos, you are being s l o w here. Kuta central, near where your wife selected for you to stay, is like Northbridge. I cannot recall hearing almost anything "bad" outside of that area. For sure you'll get offered a happy ending, asked for triple the price for a "genuine" Rolex, and you won't be able to snooze on the beach because someone will want to sell you a pineapple-bintang-manicure-wood carving-kite every 2-3 minutes. But the only beheading you'll get will be from the lady boys.

The Australian equal of Bali would be Tasmania if anything.

Not being slow, sounding slow, if anything I was being too fast in knocking out my post quickly on my work comp so that it didn't appear I was on BF for almost the whole day. :eek:
But yes, my mistake I was referring to the main central tourist district - Kuta and surrounds etc.

Just watched the news here this morning which had the following irrelevant snippets;

- Sydney has had 9 drive by shootings in the past 8 days.

- Indonesia has just had its credit rating upgraded and its economy performing alongside China's.

Indo's gone up, various Euro countries went down.

I've got to say economically in Bali it is great at the moment. Strong AUS$ bringing many Australians in,many Europeans looking for economic haven here, the Indonesian domestic market is strong, baby-boomers retiring here bring in investment dollars. Air Asia is now going to be flying from Sydney, and that will be significant for the tourist economy.

Really? Never seen them. That could be because I know and stay with locals there? Mind you, you're correct I don't have personal perspectives on Bali because I've never been, and we all know how overblown the Media present things... maybe that is a bit harsh on my part...?

Here you go.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=753805&page=12

And I am not bad-mouthing Thailand. i like it. But if you have problems with Kuta, some of the areas of Thailand are up another notch.

Just watched the news here this morning which had the following irrelevant snippets;

- Sydney has had 9 drive by shootings in the past 8 days.

The bikie's are a bit different here, in Perth if they have beef with someone they'll beat the s**t out of you or use a car bomb where as in Sydney they shoot the s**t out of your house at 4am.

The bikie's are a bit different here, in Perth if they have beef with someone they'll beat the s**t out of you or use a car bomb where as in Sydney they shoot the s**t out of your house at 4am.

Geez, between them, shark attacks, floods and bushfires maybe better to avoid Aus for now.

Here you go.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=753805&page=12

And I am not bad-mouthing Thailand. i like it. But if you have problems with Kuta, some of the areas of Thailand are up another notch.

Well again, I guess I just have to concede that I probably haven't seen Aussies in Thailand at their worst. When I'm there I'm with friends who live locally, and we hit different areas.... I guess that means I run into different expats having a different kind of holiday as well?

Geez, between them, shark attacks, floods and bushfires maybe better to avoid Aus for now.

Add Heatwaves.

Well again, I guess I just have to concede that I probably haven't seen Aussies in Thailand at their worst. When I'm there I'm with friends who live locally, and we hit different areas.... I guess that means I run into different expats having a different kind of holiday as well?

Add Heatwaves.

And when I was there, coupled with power "outs".

Appreciate all the local info Gav. Heading to Bali end of May staying at the Ayana whats the weather generally like that time of year

Have never been to the Ayana but it looks awesome. Bit jealous.

Weather-wise I am predicting long hours of pool-side, with the chance of a Bintang or two.

May is in the dry season, and the humidity should be down. Will be hot, typically with a max of 30-32. Great time of year to get out of winter and keep the melonomas developing (Just had my niece staying and despite everything I said, her 5 year old got sun-burnt day 1, which was cloudy and rainy).

If you are here on match day maybe we could meet up and watch the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have never been to the Ayana but it looks awesome. Bit jealous.

Weather-wise I am predicting long hours of pool-side, with the chance of a Bintang or two.

May is in the dry season, and the humidity should be down. Will be hot, typically with a max of 30-32. Great time of year to get out of winter and keep the melonomas developing (Just had my niece staying and despite everything I said, her 5 year old got sun-burnt day 1, which was cloudy and rainy).

If you are here on match day maybe we could meet up and watch the game.

Cheers sounds good!

I had a lovely week in Bali over Christmas. Spent the whole time in Ubud with a couple of clean living mates. We did Yoga every day surrounded by beautiful women in exercise clothes, ate almost every meal at Kafe (which serves awesome, organic vego food & you can stuff your face & be flat out spending $10 including drinks, coffee, desert), had a massage a day (at a lovely studio where they use scented body oil & serve ginger tea after). $10 for 1 hour full body!
Other than that we spent our time by the pool reading, sleeping, riding motorbikes around.
The whole thing cost me $1000 including airfares, accom, food the lot
Not a bogan in sight in Ubud!

I had a lovely week in Bali over Christmas. Spent the whole time in Ubud with a couple of clean living mates. We did Yoga every day surrounded by beautiful women in exercise clothes, ate almost every meal at Kafe (which serves awesome, organic vego food & you can stuff your face & be flat out spending $10 including drinks, coffee, desert), had a massage a day (at a lovely studio where they use scented body oil & serve ginger tea after). $10 for 1 hour full body!
Other than that we spent our time by the pool reading, sleeping, riding motorbikes around.

Nice..makes me want to go now

Yeah the whole Kuta bogan thing taints a lot of people's ideas about it but it's a beautiful diverse place with friendly people & lots more than just the tourist traps!

:thumbsu:

Upmarket food around the island is great, and very good value. A lot of top chefs coming through and leaving trained local chefs behind. Good stuff.

Thats what i found when i went in August, some of the restaurants are world class! i dont think ive stopped raving to my mates about the cuisne. Sarong in Seminyak left me rolling out of there haha.

Thats what i found when i went in August, some of the restaurants are world class! i dont think ive stopped raving to my mates about the cuisne. Sarong in Seminyak left me rolling out of there haha.

Got back to Freo over Christmas and for pretty much the same price of a pasta at Ginos (slightly stodgey and definitely nothing special) I could eat at Sarong or Sardine or La Lucciola or Chandi or Deus ex Machina or get a chef to come into my place and cook anything I want. And great service and ambience.

Got back to Freo over Christmas and for pretty much the same price of a pasta at Ginos (slightly stodgey and definitely nothing special) I could eat at Sarong or Sardine or La Lucciola or Chandi or Deus ex Machina or get a chef to come into my place and cook anything I want. And great service and ambience.

So true! Had an amazing meal at Breeze at the Samaya, got loads of brownie points for that!
Always feel ripped off when i come back to Perth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back