Social Off Topic Thread - House of Dastardly Crax

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dammit! Sorry - I wiped a speck of sand (speaking of "deserts!") off my iPad and hit "post reply" by mistake. :oops:

Strangled Cat

OK. Deserts.
1. Deserts generally receive <10" of annual precipitation.
One classification of the word "desert" defines it as having insufficient vegetation cover to support a human population.

2. Antarctica and the Arctic both have areas where the annual precipitation is less than 10".

3. Here's a list of deserts-
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_deserts

This list shows there are deserts in Europe- which would eliminate the argument on which countries are included on which continents.

ie. there are deserts on every continent.
The bolded is a sub definition. It's the lack of precipitation which defines a desert, not the result of the lack of precipitation. One may as well define a desert as "large expanse of sand". It's not like it's wrong, but it hardly defines the core characteristics of what makes it what it is.

Strangled Cat
Part 3.
Sorry- I've got things happening and have to keep stopping. Dog getting a shave, daughter's car needs battery, in-laws waiting to go shopping.
With respect to what a continent is and how many of them there are- that depends, as NSFB said, on which country you're in. AFAIK, in Australia, we are taught that there are 7 continents, including the 2 Americas and Europe separate from Asia.
Some countries teach that there are only 5.
How can some regions teach that Europe and Asia are separate continents yet say that North and South America are one? What do they actually teach kids that continents are? By every definition of a continent, to suggest that Europe and Asia are separate continents, but that the Americas is one continent is a gross contradiction.

Ha haven't seen CNNNN for awhile.

Was such a good show and was on before they became mainstream.

Yes, pity about that Starlight Foundation skit.

How can some regions teach that Europe and Asia are separate continents yet say that North and South America are one? What do they actually teach kids that continents are? By every definition of a continent, to suggest that Europe and Asia are separate continents, but that the Americas is one continent is a gross contradiction.
I have no idea, Strangled. You'd be struggling to join the Americas and, even at Plate Tectonic level, Europe and Asia are a single entity.
I asked two of my kids the same question just now: "How many continents are there?" Both answered, "Seven!"
Useless teachers. I'm going in to school tomorrow and demanding my money back!! :mad:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, I know... I looked him up!:)

I knew that character that Ricky Gervais played, just not his name.

But my actual question was meant to be... was that said of David Brent or, did David Brent say that about someone else?

David Brent said it. There's an ep where they have their office trivia night and he is bitching about last year's one where a point that was given to every team saying that some Star Trek character was a Vulcan. But he was arguing to the death he is "HALF HUMAN, half Vulcan".

Just sounded a bit like your situation :D

* I loved the UK Office. Brilliant show.

David Brent said it. There's an ep where they have their office trivia night and he is bitching about last year's one where a point that was given to every team saying that some Star Trek character was a Vulcan. But he was arguing to the death he is "HALF HUMAN, half Vulcan".

Just sounded a bit like your situation :D

* I loved the UK Office. Brilliant show.
Thanks for clarifying that! And I'll pay that, well done. Jokes often lose something when you have to explain the punchline, but from my perspective, that's still pretty good nonetheless!

Thanks for clarifying that! And I'll pay that, well done. Jokes often lose something when you have to explain the punchline, but from my perspective, that's still pretty good nonetheless!

"See under weaknesses you've put "eczema"".
:D

(David Brent to Keith during employee self-evaluations) I could quote this show all day... Gareth is a hoot. You need to watch it.

"See under weaknesses you've put "eczema"".
:D

(David Brent to Keith during employee self-evaluations) I could quote this show all day... Gareth is a hoot. You need to watch it.
There's a lot of things that I need to watch other than ABC2. I'll get around to it one day...

Induced coma and swelling on the brain the last I heard.
Thanks- just caught a report at the end of the news about 30 mins ago, saying he's still listed as critical. Stupid sticky-beak reporter asking who is at his bedside, etc. They're so damn nosey, aren't they? Who cares who's in there with him? Everyone just wants to know what his status is and how his progress is going.

When I first saw the headline I thought a bouncer of the nightclub variety.

Well in my defence, supporting football and not cricket, this would be the most likely scenario!!!!

Very scary indeed, hate to see anyone hurt on a sporting field. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back