Social Off Topic Thread - House of Dastardly Crax

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot like that comment.
If you'd said "colder" instead of "better", (talking about Syd/Melb vs Adelaide vs Perth, in this case) I'd agree with you :)
Colder - Yes. Sporting capital of Australia - Yes. Most liveable city - Yes. Not close to the Fremantle Dockers - Yes :p

God I love Victoria!!

Damn! I just missed that age!! Still not necessary imo. Virtually every school has computers to use anyway.
Yeah- but the kids use laptops and iPads 1:1 for all presentations, etc and homework, assignments are all passed in via the Internet. Teachers have notices and assignment info linked, the kids use school-approved Internet chat to discuss assignments etc- teachers answer questions in there, too. It's all very Internet-centered learning now. Some text books are also online. And we don't get school reports sent out anymore- results of tests and assignments are available online throughout the term and end of term results and school report are all online.

The whole parent involvement can be obsessive, if a parent wanted to be so. You can see what class your child is in at any one time, you can see what assignments or assessments they have from each teacher. You can read the daily notices and get the weekly newsletters....

Teachers want parents to get involved with their children's learning but I think the kids need to learn to be responsible for their own learning, without parents looking over their shoulder every step of the way. I'm happy to help with obtaining resources for assignments, help with practice for a test etc. but I don't need to hold hands with my kids for 13 years of schooling. :)
*gets off soapbox..

Yeah- but the kids use laptops and iPads 1:1 for all presentations, etc and homework, assignments are all passed in via the Internet. Teachers have notices and assignment info linked, the kids use school-approved Internet chat to discuss assignments etc- teachers answer questions in there, too. It's all very Internet-centered learning now. Some text books are also online. And we don't get school reports sent out anymore- results of tests and assignments are available online throughout the term and end of term results and school report are all online.

The whole parent involvement can be obsessive, if a parent wanted to be so. You can see what class your child is in at any one time, you can see what assignments or assessments they have from each teacher. You can read the daily notices and get the weekly newsletters....

Teachers want parents to get involved with their children's learning but I think the kids need to learn to be responsible for their own learning, without parents looking over their shoulder every step of the way. I'm happy to help with obtaining resources for assignments, help with practice for a test etc. but I don't need to hold hands with my kids for 13 years of schooling. :)
*gets off soapbox..
Aha! I've figured it out. No more the dog ate my homework excuse!! That's the motive behind it!

I couldn't go back to Victoria to live, to cold, too wet. I love the weather here in Perth, middle of winter, I have shorts on.
I'm in Victoria and I've worn pants probably 5-10 days of winter. Wearing shorts today as well.

I could cite many reasons for why SA is better than Vic. But then, I could also do the same for Vic about SA. A lot of the time it just comes down to personal preference. I'm happy with the lifestyle in SA and I can't really ever see myself moving back. However, you can never rule anything out completely.
In the same boat with Qld, Vic will always b home to me but I do love the lifestyle and weather up here.. :)

I'm in Victoria and I've worn pants probably 5-10 days of winter. Wearing shorts today as well.
You young people get a bit desensitised to the cold. ;) I remember being in Kambalda/Kalgoorlie with sub-zero overnight in winter and I still went off to work in my shorts, short-sleeved shirt and steel-caps. Can't do that these days- much too old. :(

I couldn't go back to Victoria to live, to cold, too wet. I love the weather here in Perth, middle of winter, I have shorts on.
Strangely, I am pretty sure our average rainfall here is more than the average rainfall in Vic- and down your way is probably higher than Perth itself- but it just never seems to rain as often here. I don't know the comparisons of wet days for each city but we just don't seem to have weeks of drizzle like Melbourne does. And if we get a 15ºC winter day, it's a rarity, whereas Melb/Geelong seem to have them all the time- that's much too cold for me. :(

I think I choose to be a Victorian or a West Australian, depending on the situation. If it's footy, I'm a Victorian. If it's the weather, then it's "Our weather is better than yours! Nyah! Nyah!" :p
Agreed. If a whole bunch of people here are bagging the s**t out of Vic for no good reason, I'll step in and say my piece. If a whole bunch of Victorians are bagging the s**t out of SA, then I'll defend SA equally. If they ever bring back state of origin footy though, I hope to whichever deity wants to listen to me, that they play at Adelaide Oval. I'll proudly wear my Big V guernsey in amongst a whole bunch of croweaters!

Agreed. If a whole bunch of people here are bagging the s**t out of Vic for no good reason, I'll step in and say my piece. If a whole bunch of Victorians are bagging the s**t out of SA, then I'll defend SA equally. If they ever bring back state of origin footy though, I hope to whichever deity wants to listen to me, that they play at Adelaide Oval. I'll proudly wear my Big V guernsey in amongst a whole bunch of croweaters!
Lol :D
I'd be barracking for the Big V as well!!
What a shame they don't have SOA anymore. :( I can understand the players being a bit precious, though (or, rather, their clubs being precious!), and not wanting to get hurt in a match that doesn't win them 4 points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure if SOO ever happened we'd get at least half of the Cats team playing for SA :p
Another quarter would play for WA, the remainder for Vic :)
Yes, the recruitment team do seem to like the SA and WA boys, don't they? Perhaps they think they're more likely to settle down into Sleepy Hollow than the young boys from the big cities?

Another quarter would play for WA, the remainder for Vic :)
Yes, the recruitment team do seem to like the SA and WA boys, don't they? Perhaps they think they're more likely to settle down into Sleepy Hollow than the young boys from the big cities?
It's probably because Vic boys up for draft get all the hype and go quite early but the true gems come from the fairer states and get picked later :) doesn't Mr Wells have eyes and ears all over Aus? Tas is starting to get a fair representation too.

It's probably because Vic boys up for draft get all the hype and go quite early but the true gems come from the fairer states and get picked later :) doesn't Mr Wells have eyes and ears all over Aus? Tas is starting to get a fair representation too.
That is certainly true. :) I think that, when I check the kids in the draft these days, the first thing I do is have a look to see who the WA and SA kids are. :D The GFC will soon be a little colony of SA/WA. ;)

No good! We were more than a match for them in the first half, being three goals up at half time. But in the second half Port's superior fitness was telling, which saw them pile on nine goals to three. They ran the game out a lot better, whilst we fatigued and started turning the ball over. Port won the crucial clearances in the second half, and we couldn't make our tackles stick.
I'm so disappointed for you SC, and there isn't a lot of consolation I can offer, other than to say they did very well to make the finals + a good first half against such a strong opposition has to be a bit heartening, no? Good luck to your team for next season.

You're just larger than life, Kitty!:D
:hearts:

Have I asked you already this month if I could please adopt you, my gorgeous SC? :hearts:

PS Hey everyone, I've met SC in RL + he is just the most sublime man :hearts: If I had a son, I'd love him to be like SC :hearts:

PPS You can give me the $20 next time we meet ;)

Hmmmm, I dunno. It depends on whether Moneypenny has her kicking boots on or not!:p
Well, I know that Moneypenny is what CS dreams of in all his players! Versatility! MP can ruck, defend, play on the wing, is a midfielding utility who can crumb + kick goals from both feet + ALL, while balancing a Pimms, without spilling one drop ;)

Concentric circles :p I'm not very spatially aware either. But I'd be great for moral, there's no way you could be as bad as me!
Piffle!!! We refuse to accept your charming Adeladian modesty! I'm sure you'll spotted by LaydeesAFL talent scouts! Take one team Cats please MP?

LOL nah that's our plan of attack, we're the decoys as the other side fall apart laughing, the 20+ others stream in and kick goals while they're not paying attention
See!!! You + Teri are naturals!
When I was in the Fifth Form (yes, it sounds like St Trinian's) our Economics teacher played Rugby (the proper kind - Rugby Union) for Australia + he trained us to play touch footy + arranged for us to play against the boys' GPS, which was hilarious! We wore our gym uniforms, which were gym-slips, bloomers - under which we wore knickers. So our strategy, unbeknown to our coach was to pull down the shorts of the boys, who died of embarrassment! Well, it worked very well against all the Protestant boys, but those rotten Catholic boys tackled us + tried to pull down our bloomers! So it was absolute WAR!!! Oh, forgot to say, we were Convent girls. So we were playing a game against Joey's + my uncle was a Marist Brother, teaching at Joey's. The Provincial of the whole order was visiting Australia + the Australian Provincial was a close friend of my uncle. To say the game was not only a shambles + a disaster, is an understatement! When the Joey's boys tried to pull down our knickers, one of my friends, who was six foot belted at Joey's forward + broke his nose! lol The game was abandoned, our nuns bundled us out + on to the school bus, we were given Saturday detentions for the rest of the term + all school excursions were cancelled. We were told by our Principal that we were the worst class in the school's history :rolleyes: BUT the Joey's boys thought we were fabulous + that year, their sixth form 'Muck-up Day' involved taking us all hostage! It was hilarious!

Well, I know that Moneypenny is what CS dreams of in all his players! Versatility! MP can ruck, defend, play on the wing, is a midfielding utility who can crumb + kick goals from both feet + ALL, while balancing a Pimms, without spilling one drop ;)

Piffle!!! We refuse to accept your charming Adeladian modesty! I'm sure you'll spotted by LaydeesAFL talent scouts! Take one team Cats please MP?

Haha love your attitude SK! I would probably be the first ever 166cm (on a good day) ruck/CHB/CHF EVER if that were the case. But you're right about the not spilling the Pimms, not a drop! T'would be a tragedy.

So, I think I have decided to win the lottery this week, I am not a morning person and I don't want to get up at 5:30 any more.
I hope you win a huge prize, like $40m + then, would you keep your BF buddies in the style, which they'd to become accustomed, please?

My wife is watching Deal or No Deal with that absolute dickwad Andrew O'Keefe. He is enough to make me regurgitate my last 3 meals.
My darling departed Mum's favourite show! She'd be so put out if anyone rang her at 5:30pm :rolleyes: Mum was friends with Andrew's father, Barry + Barry was Johnny O'Keefe's brother :hearts: So I have a bit of a soft spot for him :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back