Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
hey everyone

Does anyone know what were the proposed names for the BBL teams when they first came in?

All I can find are the Adelaide Strikers proposed names (Edge, Sparks, Grit, Force)

If anyone knows the proposed names feel free to reply to this thread!

Adelaide Adrenaline was floated as a possible name, I like the alliteration names, Hobart Hurricanes, Sydney Sixers etc.

Would've liked to have seen a Perth Piranhas or a Brisbane Bears BBL franchise.
I can't think of the Sydney Sixers without thinking of this:

Geez. I actually did post this thread asking for sensible answers if anyone knew what were the other proposed names but the responses have been pretty pathetic tbh.

Plugger35 thank you for actually replying properly to this thread :)

Geez. I actually did post this thread asking for sensible answers if anyone knew what were the other proposed names but the responses have been pretty pathetic tbh.

Plugger35thank you for actually replying properly to this thread :)
Allow me to apologise on behalf of all the internet for not providing serious and reliable responses.

maybe you should email/tweet each side requesting for the information. tell them you're doing an assignment on marketing/brand awareness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide Adrenaline was floated as a possible name, I like the alliteration names, Hobart Hurricanes, Sydney Sixers etc.

Would've liked to have seen a Perth Piranhas or a Brisbane Bears BBL franchise.
Adelaide Adrenaline would've been quickly scrapped as it's the name of the Ice Hockey team (yes, Australia does have an Ice Hockey League).

I worked at the WACA at the time of the BBL's creation.
From memory, the Scorchers was the only name considered once they won the rights to orange as the team colour.
Three teams wanted orange and each had to make a presentation as to why they should be 'the orange team'.
Perth won out over 'the Western Sydney franchise' (as they were referred to in the planning stages, now the Thunder) and another team.

hey everyone

Does anyone know what were the proposed names for the BBL teams when they first came in?

All I can find are the Adelaide Strikers proposed names (Edge, Sparks, Grit, Force)

If anyone knows the proposed names feel free to reply to this thread!

I was in Brisbane when their Sunday paper had a contest for the name.
I remember Heat and Fire as two of the proposed names.
The Suns may have been another suggested name.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back