BC3,Vlahos etc

Remove this Banner Ad

There was story last week on it. As soon as he said the money was safe, I knew it was gone, nothing surer.

It's like a footy club telling a coach he has their full backing just before the knife goes in.

tumblr_maqnn8CF1R1r2ohn0.gif

There was a similar investment scheme ( non-gambling ) based in HK, where a number of racing identities lost millions.

The operator fell out of a high rise in HK - I mean was pushed.

I always wonder how a club with such a large investment can get set in OZ - Maybe if you can get in HK or Singapore it's doable. Something is missing from the puzzle !

Rumours going around that a few high flying afl stars have invested a bit of coin,I guess names will come out sooner or later.

We are now going to hear all the sob stories of people who invested and now have no money to feed the kids or pay the mortgage.

I don't really have any sympathy for the suckers.
This was my first thought however after thinking about I have a bit more sympathy for those caught up in it. It appears the group were very specific about not allowing people knowledgeable in gambling or the industry to join the club. Additionally people coaxed into this were likely convinced to join by close mates who were levels above in the scheme and actually getting ridiculous returns on their investments. It's not as simple as someone saying "we will give you x amount return on investment", people suckered into this likely did so because trusted those above them and they could see first hand that big returns were paid out. Still you'd think people investing such a large amounts in something as questionable as this would be diligent enough to get advice from someone who is actually heavily involved or expert in the industry.

The blog in the op was really interesting though, much better than what I've read in the papers to date.

The blog in the op was really interesting though, much better than what I've read in the papers to date.

That's because Scott Ferguson isnt a journalist.
This has been around for a while but the coverage in the print media has been laughable.
Was waiting for the right introduction before I posted it here

seth

Not sure we can link to other forums here but this is a good read - started about 18 months ago when word of this started to go public and goes until now. Takes some time but well worth a read (most of it anyway)

http://forum.thoroughbredvillage.com.au/the-edge_topic40108_page1.html

Not sure if participants were necessarily stupid in a general sense (though it would appear), but it's obvious none of them could have had the slightest clue about how punting markets work, when you see some of the alleged bets.

You'd have to be pretty stupid to invest meaningful money into an industry you know nothing about with no documentation etc. If it's play money then meh, take the hit and move on.

In any case it's pretty clear there is no $194m, no sizeable punting, no Westpac account, no "Daniel Maxwell", and no heavies showing up at BV's place to belt him up and blow his car up.

Oh they just happened to show up at his property that night, the first visit he'd made there in months, and give him a light beating (no hospital required) over the small issue of $200m. Oh and then blow up his car, when nobody was in it. With petrol from the farm, not that they brought themselves.

Oh and all the "paperwork" pertaining to the "punters club". You'll never guess - it was all in the car!!!

FFS how stupid does he think people are?

Not sure we can link to other forums here but this is a good read - started about 18 months ago when word of this started to go public and goes until now. Takes some time but well worth a read (most of it anyway)

http://forum.thoroughbredvillage.com.au/the-edge_topic40108_page1.html

Not sure if participants were necessarily stupid in a general sense (though it would appear), but it's obvious none of them could have had the slightest clue about how punting markets work, when you see some of the alleged bets.

You'd have to be pretty stupid to invest meaningful money into an industry you know nothing about with no documentation etc. If it's play money then meh, take the hit and move on.

In any case it's pretty clear there is no $194m, no sizeable punting, no Westpac account, no "Daniel Maxwell", and no heavies showing up at BV's place to belt him up and blow his car up.

Oh they just happened to show up at his property that night, the first visit he'd made there in months, and give him a light beating (no hospital required) over the small issue of $200m. Oh and then blow up his car, when nobody was in it. With petrol from the farm, not that they brought themselves.

Oh and all the "paperwork" pertaining to the "punters club". You'll never guess - it was all in the car!!!

FFS how stupid does he think people are?

lol at post no. 5 in that thread: "Have they let Bernie Madhoff out already?"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol at post no. 5 in that thread: "Have they let Bernie Madhoff out already?"

Brilliant isn't it - blokes on that board are confessed mug punters and they picked it in about 5 seconds.

Yet supposed "high flyers" were hooked. Staggering you could be so stupid and careless. As I said, if it's just play money, fair enough (and that can be a huge amount for some people)... but it's hard to have sympathy for people talking about their life savings.

At first I thought how could people be so stupid. People with significant amounts of money too. I'm sure the vast majority of them didn't get that money by being stupid or lucky.

Then I thought about it a bit more. I think it's reasonably easy to understand how non-punters who heard some of the initial 'success stories' got sucked in.

Not good and shocking for the integrity of the game.

Used to read T Village,not a fan of it nowadays as most threads quickly become a p****** contest.
However page 1 of that thread sums it up,people will believe what they want to believe.

seth

The rich will do anything to become richer, its called greed!! That's why people got sucked in

People are talking about the ex AFL star like its obvious who it is, one name comes to find who is both stupid enough and also was once wealthy enough to get involved, maybe once a certain favourite player of mine?

Or maybe someone who has very recently left the game but again doesnt come off as the brightest spark but enjoys betting and the horses

and let me clear this up...

So its obvious he wasnt putting the bets on right? But obviously hes still sending out advice etc, is he doing this after the fact? ie today we had 50k on Fiorente to win the Melbourne cup

Or is he sending out the info prior to starts saying we will have 50k on fiorente if we can get $8 for it, and then after the race saying yeah we got the $8 and got on it

I mean obviously the punters involved are at least following the bets, so I assume he has to be giving some advice pre race and picking some winners, so if he was actually placing the bets would the club turned a profit or was he just good at lying about the whole thing and convincing people that he had winning bets placed?

The form was good - the bets were advised pre races and made money on paper.

But there's no way the bets were being placed - if they were it was in much smaller amounts than quoted

Theres simply no way of getting set for the wagers quoted.

I simply can't believe people thought this was legit

I think it included using a top fluc price as the price they obtained on their supposedly monstrous wagers

My understanding is that the "bets" were price dependent.

He bought horses with the money,even paid for some of them so at least some breeders got paid.

seth

People are talking about the ex AFL star like its obvious who it is, one name comes to find who is both stupid enough and also was once wealthy enough to get involved, maybe once a certain favourite player of mine?

Or maybe someone who has very recently left the game but again doesnt come off as the brightest spark but enjoys betting and the horses

I was also thinking of an ex full forward but from a different team who wore red, white and blue.

No one with a punting background would/could believe that those bets were being placed. Top Fluc for a huge wager - that's highly amusing.

Anyone know who this is (from the Hun, so apologies):

---
But his problems pale against those of a former AFL player and man-about-town, who not only invested his own money in the scheme but spruiked its benefits to others.
The former player has gone into hiding. A bad day turned much worse on Monday morning when two large, menacing men walked into his city office.
They stayed just long enough to deliver an ultimatum and a threat. When they left, he was so frightened he could hardly speak. It seems the men blamed him for certain people losing large amounts.
A colleague told him to go straight home and pick up his wife and flee, because some very ugly bikers are out to mess up his face.
---

Anyone know who this is (from the Hun, so apologies):

---
But his problems pale against those of a former AFL player and man-about-town, who not only invested his own money in the scheme but spruiked its benefits to others.
The former player has gone into hiding. A bad day turned much worse on Monday morning when two large, menacing men walked into his city office.
They stayed just long enough to deliver an ultimatum and a threat. When they left, he was so frightened he could hardly speak. It seems the men blamed him for certain people losing large amounts.
A colleague told him to go straight home and pick up his wife and flee, because some very ugly bikers are out to mess up his face.
---

Whoever it is, my money would be on it being another bullshit story designed to extract sympathy from those who've lost, and an excuse to "flee".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back